INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD Drive will not eject after burning MP3 CD  (Read 863 times)

mixednuts

• Recent member
CD Drive will not eject after burning MP3 CD
« on: November 14, 2007, 09:32:37 pm »

I am only able to make one MP3 CD without my drive refusing to eject the next disk I burn.  I have reboot to get the Drive to surrender the 2nd disk.  This is getting to be a real pain.  I have searched the forum but failed to find any tips.

Drive in BENQ
Windows XP SP 2

Dubster

• Recent member
  • Computer Software Designer
Re: CD Drive will not eject after burning MP3 CD
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 11:38:05 pm »

I have the same problem on my e-machines laptop.  I found that you don't have to reboot.  You can get the drive to release the CD by using the manual release hole.  You stick a paper clip in the little hole on the drive door, push and out comes the drawer.  Be sure the disk is spun down, however.

Tom

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: CD Drive will not eject after burning MP3 CD
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 12:42:53 am »

That is quite likely a issue with your drive or the media (or the combination of the two -- your drive doesn't like that media).

If you haven't already, I'd stongly urge you to check with Benq for a firmware update.  I've seen certain drives regularly eat media like that before and it's almost always a drive issue (like my absurd Pioneer 109 drive).  Sometimes they fix them later with firmware (and sometimes they never do and they just stay bad).

It could also conceivably be just an incompatibility with the particular media type you're using as well, and sometimes this can be solved with firmware (or with using higher-quality media such as Verbatim DataLifePro or Taiyo Yuden media.  Discmakers' Ultra line of blank discs are Taiyo Yuden, and I personally use them with my duplicator at work and they are quite reliable (I use the white Inkjet printable, Waterguard ones, but they're the same disc "inside" as the silver ones).

If you want to go a little cheaper, I've also had good luck with Verbatim and Imation discs.  I had more issues with these than the Taiyo Yuden discs I use now, but they were far better than most "store brand" CDs (like Maxell, Memorex, Sony, Panasonic, etc).  Those "big" brands are just rebranding whomever gives them the best lot prices on discs.  One pack of Memorex discs might not be the same as the exact same "model" of a different pack of Memorex discs.  Quality can vary dramatically from vendor to vendor and from pack to pack.  Newegg.com sells packs of both brands in reasonable packs at good prices.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up