INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request: Network password  (Read 1966 times)

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
Feature request: Network password
« on: November 15, 2007, 07:20:55 am »

Since MC allows music on network paths like \\server\folder it would be consequent (and nice) to be able to define the passwords as well (somewhere in the GUI) e.g. a password protected SAMBA share ...

thx & gr3ts

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature request: Network password
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 10:52:11 pm »

Seconded. My network drives show up in drives and devices, but I click on them impotently until I realise that I have to log into the drive in windows explorer first. Even the option to bring up the login dialog when you try to access the network drive for the first time would be great.

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 03:00:00 pm »

Nasty little thing ...

AndyCircuit

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 07:43:39 am »

It's a "nasty" MS XP Home thing. If you upgrade to XP Professional it offers the option to remember Username and Password. One major reason of many to spend more $ for Prof if you got a network. XP Home is very limited with network functions. :P
Electricians do it 'til it Hz

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 02:20:22 pm »

I'm using XP Pro SP2, but never get the option to log in from MC.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 03:41:35 pm »

Just in case you weren't aware... If the username/password credentials on the remote machine match the locally logged on username/password credentials, it'll never prompt you.  Of course, that doesn't help if you want to be able to access files on a share yourself, but prevent others from doing so (who don't have the password).

I replicate my users onto all of my machines, so that each user can access the same network shares from all of the machines without entering (and remembering) a bunch of different usernames/passwords.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 04:03:52 pm »

Just in case you weren't aware... If the username/password credentials on the remote machine match the locally logged on username/password credentials, it'll never prompt you.  Of course, that doesn't help if you want to be able to access files on a share yourself, but prevent others from doing so (who don't have the password).

I replicate my users onto all of my machines, so that each user can access the same network shares from all of the machines without entering (and remembering) a bunch of different usernames/passwords.

There are some disadvantages:
The credentials on my Notebook force me to change my password every month. I dont want to do this on my network share.
To change a password for a Samba share means to login into the sharing computer and change password - so its quite not so "easy".

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 04:05:35 pm »

It's a "nasty" MS XP Home thing. If you upgrade to XP Professional it offers the option to remember Username and Password. One major reason of many to spend more $ for Prof if you got a network. XP Home is very limited with network functions. :P

For me this works only if I first reconnect with windows explorer. If I try to access the share with different programs it fails.

AndyCircuit

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 05:36:34 pm »

For me this works only if I first reconnect with windows explorer. If I try to access the share with different programs it fails.
My personal scenario:
I run a neighborhood WiFi network, DSL and a "server" is in my house. On the server are several shared folders, media is for all and some others are for a limited group of users only. media got username "media" password: <blank>, the others like privat1 and some passwords. The clients with XP pro and Vista Home Premium (and the good old 2000) asking for this username and password at the first connect and you can tick the box "remember this setting". From now on this ones get always connection to this folders regardless of the software. (e.g you open MC first and play the music) XP Home users have to use the explorer and enter "media" <blank> after every reboot. Since I did this with about 30 machines until now I dare to say it works so far. ( a roughly description of my share access btw)

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 02:41:19 am »

My personal scenario:
I run a neighborhood WiFi network, DSL and a "server" is in my house. On the server are several shared folders, media is for all and some others are for a limited group of users only. media got username "media" password: <blank>, the others like privat1 and some passwords. The clients with XP pro and Vista Home Premium (and the good old 2000) asking for this username and password at the first connect and you can tick the box "remember this setting". From now on this ones get always connection to this folders regardless of the software. (e.g you open MC first and play the music) XP Home users have to use the explorer and enter "media" <blank> after every reboot. Since I did this with about 30 machines until now I dare to say it works so far. ( a roughly description of my share access btw)

I think I understand. Whats not clear in your statement is wheter you are using drive letters e.g. M:\ or using server-share names like \\myserver\share in MC.
If you are using drive letters of course after Windows startup the explorer automatically reconnects and there is no need to bother any more.
I requested this feature cause MC allows the library to consist of \\server\share paths. So there is no need for drive letters and consequently the explorer does not reconnect.

AndyCircuit

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 03:47:29 am »

I think I understand. Whats not clear in your statement is wheter you are using drive letters e.g. M:\ or using server-share names like \\myserver\share in MC.
If you are using drive letters of course after Windows startup the explorer automatically reconnects and there is no need to bother any more.
I requested this feature cause MC allows the library to consist of \\server\share paths. So there is no need for drive letters and consequently the explorer does not reconnect.
Simple share names like \\server\music.
Using drive letters with so many clients is too much work.Also, because I don't have access to most clients at any give time it's more "safe" this way.

Pages: [1]   Go Up