INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Busybox for VB.Net  (Read 12471 times)

Smilin_Jim

• Recent member
Busybox for VB.Net
« on: November 15, 2007, 02:51:06 pm »

I have been following MrChriZ's tutorial but have run into a snag with VB.Net 2005 Express Edition.  I think that this is probably common to the full blown versions, as well.

I'm in a new (clean) environment of VB.Net and loaded the VB6 BusyBox per instructions.  I successfully made it to the Recipe Step and then ran afoul.

When I try to load the VB6 version for upgrade, it fails with the message
"Upgrade failed: Exception Occured: Could not load referenced component:
Media Jukebox.tbl (MediaJukebox 1.0.0)
You need to install this component before you upgrade teh project.
It is recommended that you install VBV6.0, with all referenced components, and ensure the application compiles and runs before upgrading."

I assume that there is some method short of getting ahold of a VB6 edition.  How can I do this?

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
Re: Busybox for VB.Net
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 03:18:40 pm »

Hi Jim,
It's a while since i've played with those instructions
but a few people have used them I think without any troubles.

Are you running MC12/11?

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 03:21:49 pm »

Ah hang on.. Busybox... that's really old
Hmm..

Have you seen the VB.Net Template?
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=34294.0

It's a better starting place for new projects.

Smilin_Jim

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 04:05:12 pm »

Greetings MrChriZ

I'm using MC12.

I started out with your VB.Net Template and since that basically provides an empty form, I was going to look at busybox to get some ideas on how to populate it.  You actually mention that as a good idea in the VB.Net Template docs.  However, I got OT on busybox and ended up in the weeds.  I thought I might shoot a flare up to find my way back.

BTW, I had to change a reference in the install file to point at MC 12 on the VB.Net install as it still points to an MC 11 directory structure.  No biggy.

All I was looking for was the usage of an object, any object, in the form to use as a springboard since I'm trying to learn MC control and VB.Net at the same time.  I figured that I would find some in busybox.  The template is, understandably, bare.

Jim

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 04:20:45 pm »

Media Jukebox.tbl

Is not for media center 12.

How About "Media Center 12.tlb"

it is in the root folder

this was one of the changes for media center 12
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Smilin_Jim

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 07:59:10 am »

KingSparta,

I love your picture, kinda like King Louis (I think that was his name) from the Jungle Book.  ;D

Per MrChriz's procedure, I created a key and combined it with the Media Center 12.tlb and called it Media Jukebox.tbl to allow it to satisfy the links in Busybox.  I think what I am lacking is someway to put it in the project path so that the upgrader can find it.  It would be the equivalent of an include statement in C, I think.  I figure there must be a registration process or something.

Based on the plugins and your web site, you appear to do a lot of programming, any chance that you could send me a VB.Net form with a control or two using MrChriz's template so that I can see how to start?

Jim

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 08:03:13 am »

... I created a key and combined it with the Media Center 12.tlb and called it Media Jukebox.tbl ...
tlb or tbl?

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 02:43:13 pm »

The busybox.NET tutorial was done using MC11 I think,
and as a result is out of date as somethings have changed.

There's not a lot of .NET examples around that contain
any active stuff other than that.

Smilin_Jim

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 04:24:05 pm »

Jim H.

tlb.  Typo was in posting, not in development.  :)

MrChriZ

I reloaded VB6 and I'm going through updating BusyBox to MC12 (cross fingers here) and then I will upgrade it to VB.Net (really chancy there.) I will let you know how I make out.

Right now I'm trying to remember/figure out how to connect the VB program to the running instance of Media Center.  It's been a few years and I don't think that I ever tried to attach to a running process, so it will be interesting.

Jim

Smilin_Jim

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 09:00:57 am »

I have updated MrChriZ's BusyBox Visual Basic Development Tool.  It uses the VB.Net standards and loads and runs in all versions of Visual Basic 2005 including the free Express version.  It also should easily convert into Visual Basic 2008, but I haven't tried that yet.

The purpose of BusyBox is to provide code to show how to access the MEDIA CENTER object and to demonstrate how to use some of its more common methods and properties.  BusyBox should serve as a good springboard for people just learning VB.NET and how to interface with objects from it.

MC12BusyBox2005 has the following functions (New features in blue):

Connect to the MEDIA CENTER object
Handle Events from MEDIA CENTER
Show All Playlists
List All Schemes
List Tree of Schemes (Walk All Schemes)
Show Playing Now (with cover art)
Adjust Volume and Retrieve Volume both Manually and Automatically

In order to run and modify this code, first install Visual Basic 2005 and MEDIA CENTER on your computer.  Then install the VB.Net Interface Templet, http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=34294.0.

Download the MC12BusyBox2005 application from http://s1.uppit.com/d/TTRXJM.

Unzip this program into your desired development location (the default for VB2005 is My Documents/Visual Studio 2005/Projects) and open up the MC12BusyBox2005.vbproj file in VB2005.

Out of the box, you will need to have MEDIA CENTER running when the program starts, but by uncommenting a couple of lines you should be able to get it to autoload MEDIA CENTER upon opening.

Thanks to MrChriZ for the great starting point.

:)

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 11:47:40 am »

Thanks for updating it Jim!
Pages: [1]   Go Up