INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video thumbnail generation problem  (Read 1378 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Video thumbnail generation problem
« on: November 19, 2007, 02:26:10 pm »

I recently imported a 750 Gb disk full of video files. Some of my MKV files did not get recognised as video files. I rectified this by adding "Media Type" to the column view and manually resetting this from 'data' to 'video'.
That worked perfectly! However, the thumbnails normally generated from screenshots during the import procedure for video media are absent. Is there a way to force MC to reexamine a file and create a new thumbnail?

On a related note, some of these mkvs seem to revert back to 'data' files in the library, but I haven't nailed down under which circumstances. Thanks for any help.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Video thumbnail generation problem
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 03:53:01 pm »

Unfortunately, MC does seem to have trouble identifying MKV files properly occasionally.  I have not seen them "revert" at all, but you might want to uncheck Update Files for External Changes in the Auto-Import Options (unless you use that feature), as I can see that being a culprit.  Unfortunately I also haven't found an easy way to get MC to "re-thumbnail" these files once they're manually set to Video.  However, manually grabbing a thumbnail (while playing the file, right click and choose "Use Screen Grab as Thumbnail") works just fine.

If someone knows of an easy way to get MC to thumnail these files itself, I'd appreciate it too!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 05:42:06 pm »

This problem has happened to me a few times too. The only way I've been able to force MC to rebuild the missing thumbs has been to:

a) stop MC
b) delete the "thumbnails xxx.jmd" files (normally under C:\Documents and Settings\{user}\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\Thumbnails\)
c) start MC
d) goto Tools > Options > Tree & View > Thumbnails > Erase all thumbnails... AND THEN, Build missing thumbnails...

It's a lengthy and tiresome process but it seems to work.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 05:50:47 pm »

Thanks for the reply, Glynor. I noticed that there is a similar thread on this forum and there were some suggestions there. I think this is it:
I'm not the expert on thumbnails, but if you click on Tools->Options, then Tree & View, under thumbnails, choose "Build missing", then leave it alone for a few hours, it should rebuild all missing. Do it before going to sleep one night.

From this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43373.0

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 06:04:33 pm »

Yeah... I don't think that works (Gateley's suggestion), but I can test it.  MC does not seem to want to build the thumbs on the fly when needed.

I don't need a few hours because my thumbs are all mostly already built (and I just found a handful of "filed as data" MKVs tonight when you asked this question and I went to my library to check out the situation).

EDIT: It's running now.. I have 383 to build.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 06:10:40 pm »

a) stop MC
b) delete the "thumbnails xxx.jmd" files (normally under C:\Documents and Settings\{user}\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\Thumbnails\)
c) start MC
d) goto Tools > Options > Tree & View > Thumbnails > Erase all thumbnails... AND THEN, Build missing thumbnails...

Thanks, raym.  I actually asked for an easy way, but you know...   ;D

That's obviously not really a good option for me.  My video library is quite large and spans a few external hard drives and different MC Libraries.  Rebuilding all of the thumbs isn't what I'd call a good option.  ;)

That does go to show that, for one user at least, simply manually rebuilding thumbs (Gateley's suggestion) isn't enough.

Like I said... Manually generating one during playback works.  It's too bad we don't have a manual, "generate thumbnail" command (that works on a per file basis).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 06:25:02 pm »

Oh!... I bow to Gateley's greater wisdom, but it does work for me.  I simply forced MC to build the missing thumbs and mine got created.

Pages: [1]   Go Up