INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing files but keeping play stats  (Read 1800 times)

• World Citizen
Replacing files but keeping play stats
« on: November 20, 2007, 01:08:39 pm »

Is it possible to replace an album of mp3's with the same album only in flac or ape and retain the play stats of that album. I would like to replace some of these albums with cue files for the flacs. Is this possible?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Replacing files but keeping play stats
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 01:22:40 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean by the "cue files" part of your question, however... If you have a set of files that are MP3s, and you re-rip them to individual FLAC files, you can easily update MC's library to point at the FLAC files instead of the MP3s.

You can "replace" the files in MC by using the Library Tools --> Find and Replace tool.  First, make sure to copy the new FLAC files into the proper location, and move (or delete) the old MP3 files somewhere else to get them "out of the way".  Then, open MC and select the files (which will all be broken now) and do the Find and Replace, have it change the Filename tag, and replace all occurances of "MP3" with "FLAC".  Next, you simply need to change the File Type tag for those same files from MP3 to FLAC.

That should fix it.  As I said... I'm not sure what you meant by the CUE file stuff.  Did you re-rip to one big FLAC with a CUE sheet instead of individual FLAC files?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 01:50:35 pm »

Yep. I re-ripped in to one big flac and I import the cue sheet to MC. How does this change things?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 01:52:20 pm »

Not sure, since I've never done that before.  Your best bet is to wait until someone with more CUE file experience (Alex?) answers, as I suspect that it might be different completely.

You might not be able to easily save the play stats that way.  I'm not entirely sure.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 04:44:52 pm »

The format of cue tracks in the library is fundamentally different from standard track files. As glynor said, there is no easy way to change the existing track info to point to the cue tracks.

One option would be to create two playlists, one of the MP3 tracks and another of the FLAC/cue tracks and export the playlists in mpl format (which contains all library field values). After that it is possible to open the playlists in separate text editor windows and copy the desired field values from the MP3 playlist to the FLAC/cue playlist. The edited FLAC/cue playlist can be used for updating the library data of the imported FLAC/cue tracks. (File > Import Playlist... , select "Common playlist types" in the "Files of type" selection box)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 05:00:02 pm »

Okay I ended up cue splitting them and doing what glynor said. But how do I change the bitrate field?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 05:02:01 pm »

Okay I ended up cue splitting them and doing what glynor said. But how do I change the bitrate field?

I don't remember for sure from last time I did it.  Perhaps re-run (or run for the first time) the analyzer on them?

Pages: [1]   Go Up