INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: view schemes / smartlists  (Read 1044 times)

trott

• World Citizen
view schemes / smartlists
« on: November 22, 2007, 01:41:26 am »

Hi all,

after experimenting a bit (and looking through the forum) with view schemes, it is still not clear te me when I would use a view scheme and when i would use a smartlist. Right now, I only use smartlists in day-to-day usage but change their view settings afterwards to suit what I want to get done at that particular moment. Can anyone point out some advantages view schemes would have over smartlists?

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: view schemes / smartlists
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 02:04:38 am »

I typically think of view schemes as how I can view my media, and smartlists as to what media I want to browse in a particular view scheme.

I have one view scheme setup with large thumbnails that only shows my favorite albums I have not listened to in a month or so.

I also have a main view scheme that incorporates a 'search list' type pane within it that includes multiple smarlists and that allows me to combine them in different ways and to drill down with additional panes.  I couldn't do that with individual smartlists in the tree

In the end I would play around with every option possible in a view scheme, since there are lots of little tweaks that can make all the difference between view schemes.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 09:36:58 am »

As a general rule (to which many exceptions can apply):
When playing/organizing your library you use a smartlist (it is essentially an advanced playlist).
When managing/searching your library you use a view scheme.  View schemes allow you to quickly drill down to the items you are looking for.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 12:18:54 pm »

I only ever use View Schemes.  Almost everything that you can do with a Smartlist can also be done with a View Scheme, but you also have the added ability to use the Panes, Tree items, and Tiles browsing methods if you want to.  There is no way to "browse" and filter Smartlists (other than to use the search bar).

I used to have a bunch of Smartlists that were pre-mixed lists... Stuff like this:

Code: [Select]
[Genre]=[Bluegrass],[Classic Rock],[Psychedelic Rock],[Reggae],[Folk],[Country],[Hair Rock],[Alternative],[Indie]
-[File Type]=[cda]
~mix=2160,7%,{[Genre]=[Bluegrass]},15%,{[Genre]=[Classic Rock]},3%,{[Genre]=[Country]},7%,{[Genre]=[Folk]},29%,{[Genre]=[Reggae]},25%,{[Genre]=[Psychedelic Rock]},6%,{[Genre]=[Alternative]},6%,{[Genre]=[Indie]},2%,{[Genre]=[Hair Rock]}
~sort=[Artist],[Album],[Disc #],[Track #],[Name]

I've since converted these all over to a set of "Mixes" View Schemes, and they're much nicer this way because if you want you can still browse them.

The only exception -- which constantly irritates me -- is that you can't auto-sync a handheld device (iPod, Sansa, etc) to a View Scheme.  For that reason, I've crafted a few Smartlists that I use for getting new mixes of music onto my Sansa.

I really really really really wish they'd just add in the View Schemes to the Sync List function.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

trott

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 03:15:23 pm »

glynor, maybe you could post a screenshot of your set-up?
Pages: [1]   Go Up