INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater view very slow  (Read 3181 times)

klauzer

Theater view very slow
« on: November 20, 2007, 03:36:03 pm »

When I switch to Theater view my computer goes very slow. Why everything else work great with this media center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Theater view very slow
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 03:39:49 pm »

Theater View uses 3D graphics.  Your video card may not be able to do 3D well enough.  Try a right click to set a lower frame rate.

gappie

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 02:07:39 am »

yes, under options>theater view>advanced you can set the frame rate a bit lower. but i would start to disable "use high quality drawing" when that is enabled, can make a huge difference.

klauzer

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 03:29:58 am »

Thanks. So this graphiccard Is not enough? SAPPHIRE RADEON HD 2400PRO

http://www.twenga.co.uk/prices-RADEON-HD-2400PRO-SAPPHIRE-Graphics-card-127345-0

neFAST

• Galactic Citizen
  • \o/
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 03:57:07 am »

Do you have any other "always on top" program running at the same time?
I've a problem with rocketdock. I need to disable it before going in Theater view. Otherwise everything runs sloooow.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 06:43:27 am »

Thanks. So this graphiccard Is not enough? SAPPHIRE RADEON HD 2400PRO

The Radeon 2400 is a very low-end card, but it should certainly be able to handle Theater View (at least the 3D requirements).  Anti-Aliasing can be it's achilies heel though.

Assuming you don't have any other application fighting to steal focus, I would agree with Gappie.  Try disabling the "high quality drawing" option, which (I believe) mostly enables/disables FSAA on the Theater View UI, and should provide a sizable performance boost on lower-end hardware.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

klauzer

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 01:04:52 pm »

I have now tuned off "use high quality drawings" and set Framerate to 1, and itīs still slow. Maybe a little bit faster but not god enough.

gappie

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 01:07:55 pm »

I have now tuned off "use high quality drawings" and set Framerate to 1, and itīs still slow. Maybe a little bit faster but not god enough.
maybe you should set framerate to 25. 1 is a bit to dramatic i think.

thurston

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 01:13:18 pm »

This happens to me sometimes (with a fast video card, processor,etc) especially when I've recently imported any files.  It also happens at times in standard view while I'm browsing the Video view scheme.  At the same time there will be several instances of "FFV" shown in my windows tool tray.  Is this the same for you?  
I have a feeling in my case it is trying to build thumbnails or something, but sometimes it takes a very very long time to get back to normal speed.  I wish there was a way to see what was going on in the background (i.e. if files are being imported, thumbnails built, tags updated, whatever).  CNTRL-ALT-DEL shows that the "JRworker.exe" (or something close to that) process is running in the background, I wonder what that does?  It gets frustrating when you don't know why everything is so slow.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 01:20:23 pm »

I have a feeling in my case it is trying to build thumbnails or something, but sometimes it takes a very very long time to get back to normal speed.

Building video thumbnails can bring any single-core system to a crawl.  My dual-core systems are much more resilient to this, though even they slow down somewhat when thumbnailing a bunch of new video files for first-time display.  This particular issue has nothing to do with "Theater View" and more to do with MC's on-the-fly thumbnailing interacting with external DirectShow filters.

Unfortunately (shameless needle here again) MC won't allow you to disable on-the-fly thumbnailing.  Please, oh, please give us an Options --> Tree & View --> Thumbnails --> Disable On-The-Fly Thumbnailing option!!  The only solution that works is to manually build thumbnails as part of your import process (check the option in Auto-Import Options and manually build your thumbs regularly).

thurston

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 03:17:12 pm »

I do have a dual core system.  Do you get the multiple instances of FFV as well?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 04:48:49 pm »

I do have a dual core system.  Do you get the multiple instances of FFV as well?

I do.  I only have a couple... Actually, now that I think of it, I do only have two single-core machines that run MC, and only one of those actually has a library to speak of and that I use regularly (the other is the system running a video display wall -- and that should be moving to an Intel Quad sometime soon).

Either way... This one system (an older Athlon XP-M @ 2.6GHz) runs MC perfectly well when the thumbnails are all built, but sometimes will slow down to a solid crawl (though not completely lock) while Video thumbs get built.  It definitely seems worse for HD x264 compressed MKVs than anything else, but I'll see bad effects even with simple XviD AVIs and MP4s.

My dual-core machines aren't anywhere near as susceptible to this.  However, even on my MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo T7400, Merom @ 2.16GHz and 2GB DDR2) and my main office PC (dual-core Opteron 170 @ 2.6GHz and 2GB DDR) I'll see bad slowdowns from time to time.  They just seem to recover quicker and slow down a lot less frequently.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 04:52:18 pm »

Either way... This one system (an older Athlon XP-M @ 2.6GHz) runs MC perfectly well when the thumbnails are all built, but sometimes will slow down to a solid crawl (though not completely lock) while Video thumbs get built.  It definitely seems worse for HD x264 compressed MKVs than anything else, but I'll see bad effects even with simple XviD AVIs and MP4s.
Are the files on a network drive?  That slows things down for thumbnailing.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 04:56:39 pm »

The Athlon XP system has about 1/2 of it's files on a network drive, but effectively all of the "new" files are local.  That's my "incoming" system, which is where I dump my new encodes before they get sorted onto my RAID system.  So that isn't much of a factor (some, but not much).

It is certainly related to when MC is actually loading FFDSHOW (and sometimes Haali).  The CPU pegs (I run Process Explorer on them all the time in the task tray) and it lags hard.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 06:51:53 pm »

Would allowing only a single instance of ffdshow solve this (at least partially)? Of course, I dont know what the effect would be if you're thumbnailing and then go to play a video....

klauzer

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 05:57:39 am »

Ok. I donīt know what happened but it works fine now. Only one problem left. MOV files canīt be found. I can see mpg or divx but Quicktime donīt exist in my list.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 06:40:19 am »

Check your file associations in MC to see if you're importing mov.
Pages: [1]   Go Up