INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plasma vs LCD and HDCP compliance  (Read 4117 times)

thurston

• World Citizen
Plasma vs LCD and HDCP compliance
« on: November 26, 2007, 11:07:13 am »

I'm considering buying a 42" 1080p HD TV for watching TV, MC and also some PC gaming. Is there any preference to either LCD or Plasma TVs when it comes to using it with a PC?  I have some concerns with burn in if I decide on a plasma, although from what I've read burn-in is a bit over exagerrated especially with the latest plasmas. LCDs don't have this problem, but from what I've seen the plasma genrally has a better picture (depending on brand, resolution, etc of course).

Also, if I want to watch video in high def from my computer, what do I miss by not having an HDCP compliant video card?

Mithrandir

• Recent member
Re: Plasma vs LCD and HDCP compliance
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 11:05:36 am »

Hi,

I have two panasonic plasmas (a 42" and a 50") and I love them.  I would agree that in general a plasma offers a superior picture to an LCD.  I will say that the latest generation LCD's have closed the gap considerably and I would certainly look closely at both before deciding.  PQ is pretty subjective and this is just my opinion.  And no, burn in is not much of an issue on the latest plasmas.

MC theater view looks awsome on both of my sets.  One thing to beware of with 42" sets is that most of them are 1024 x 768 and have rectangular pixels.  This means that you cannot really supply the tv with its native resolution (ie 1024 x 768 is 4:3 and the tv is physically 16:9) and text will not look especially crisp.  Most of these tv's will really only accept 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p and then scale it to its native resolution.  This means there will always be some scaling done by the tv.  Theater view is sized so large that this is not a problem, but the standard MC interface, web pages, windows desktop etc. are not much more than useable.  In short, if you will be using the theaterview interface then no worries.

My 50" plasma is 1366 x 768, which is a 16:9 resolution.  Because the tv will accept 1366 x 768 I am able to get a perfect 1:1 pixel ratio.  Everything, including the windows desktop etc. looks very sharp on this tv. 

I guess I am saying that if you have room then I would go for a 50" set rather that the 42" set.

Do not waste your money on a non-hdcp video card.  Take a fools advice on this one. ;)  Sooner or later you will need hdcp and wish you had it.  These cards are really not much more expensive than a standard card. 

HTH

M

thurston

• World Citizen
Re: Plasma vs LCD and HDCP compliance
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 12:27:04 pm »

Thanks for the insight, I'm glad to hear that burn-in isn't an issue.  I decided to go with a 42" 1080p panasonic plasma.  The picture is amazing!  i have yet to use it with the computer other than through my video card's s-video output.  I have a DVI to HDMI cable on it's way from newegg.
Unfortunately my current card isn't HDCP compliant.  What will this mean for me?  I don't have a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray drive so at this point.  If I do eventually get one, I take it that my video card will need to be HDCP?  Are there any other applications where an HDCP card is necessary?
The native resolution of the tv is 1920 X 1080 which is 16:9, so I should get a 1:1 pixel ratio too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up