INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need some upside down avi help  (Read 4796 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Need some upside down avi help
« on: November 29, 2007, 02:21:59 pm »

I'm having a big problem with many older avi files from Simpsons and Futurama episodes. Most of them are played upside down.

I have installed FFDShow, Haali Media Splitter and CCCP. I'm afraid to experiment to much as the setup on my media center are very good now. Gspot tells me that the files are DIV3, DivX 3 Low-Motion, and that the codecs are installed.
When I go to select filters, I have not chosen anything for "Source Filters" but have selected ffdshow raw video filter under "other filters". Have tried to pick different things for both spots  (also Haali for source), but nothing have changed so far.

Anyone who knows the magic answer here, or a kind soul who could give me some directions?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Need some upside down avi help
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 02:25:21 pm »

Now that's an interesting one...

Just to check, you do NOT have this option selected in FFDSHOW's Video Decoder Configuration, correct?  That option WILL invert the video, just as the name suggests.

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 03:03:57 pm »

Nope. Never selected that one. I guess it would have flipped all my output.
Forgot to mention it was not selected.

By the way. There's never been anyone that have written a codec guide to play all common video files?
I have seen people asking for one, but never found it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 03:06:09 pm »

I did:  http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DirectShow_Playback_Guide

I have no earthly clue why that flipping would be happening then.  What filters are handling playback normally?  If you hit MS Button 1 in G-Spot, what does it show?

Do the files play flipped in MPC or ZoomPlayer too or just in MC?

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 04:09:37 pm »

I have no earthly clue why that flipping would be happening then.  What filters are handling playback normally?  If you hit MS Button 1 in G-Spot, what does it show?

Do the files play flipped in MPC or ZoomPlayer too or just in MC?

If I hit the MS A/V Button nr. 1 I get The result Ok. With the following filters used:
DivX MPEG4 DVD Video decoder.

I tested the file in VLC and Windows Media Player. Both apps play the file normally. So it seems to be a MC config problem.

Hey! Just tested a thing. I removed FFDshow raw filter from other filters, and everything flips the normal way again. So it's definetly something to do with ffdshow. I could leave it off, but post processing are most important on files like avi's. So it would blow a huge hole in my "perfect" setup.
Almost everything are going through ffdshow, with the same settings I presume. So why do this only effect low motion DivX?
The only thing I have selected and are running today are this 3 options: Blur and NR, Descaler Filter and Resize & aspect. Tried to disable them all, with no effect except from a major quality loss.

I know, and I've read it more than once. Made me understand the basics a little better, but there are still a ton of info you need to be able to tailor your setup to handle all video types. Some codec packs do a pretty good job in simplifying this, but there are still some work to be done. And probably some things you have to do in MC.

What I'm hoping for is that someone can take their time and explain each codec to install, and the basic setup of this, to make all common video files play. Preferrably free, publicly available and some of the best codecs there is. Have not found anything like this except from Mastiffs HTPC guide (in Norwegain), but it's a bit outdated and mainly made for ZP (the video part).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 04:49:08 pm »

Do you have the "real" DivX installed?  If you aren't using it to encode video, uninstall it.  If you ARE making DivX videos, then you need to lower the merit score for the DivX filters.  CCCP should have done this when you installed it (unless you installed DivX AFTER you installed CCCP -- in which case you need to do the "re-register filters" command in the CCCP Settings dialog).

To be clear: if G-Spot's MS #1 test says anything other than FFDSHOW Video Decoder for that type of video, then another filter (in this case the "real" DivX filter) has "taken over".

I don't think selecting the FFDSHOW "Raw" Video filter is the proper choice anyway, but that's somewhat irrelevant.  You shouldn't ever need to modify individual file types in MC's DirectShow Playback Settings dialog unless you want a specific filter to handle playback in MC, but you DON'T want that same filter to handle playback in other DirectShow players on your computer (like ZoomPlayer).  This should be exceedingly rare.  In all other cases, it would be better to fix the Merit Score for the filter you really want to handle it so that it is used by default and leave MC's settings blank.

Also, for playing back all MPEG-4 codec types (which includes XviD, DivX, 3vix, Nero Digital ASP and AVC, and Apple's Quicktime MPEG-4 among others) there is no need to have ANY "codecs" other than FFDSHOW installed at all.  You only ever need a codec for these types if you want to MAKE a file, not play it.

I tested the file in VLC and Windows Media Player. Both apps play the file normally. So it seems to be a MC config problem.

VLC isn't a DirectShow player, so you can't use it's results.  It has the same code base as FFDSHOW built-in though, so if it can handle it, FFDSHOW can.

I can't say why WiMP works, but I don't use the DivX codec for playback ever, so who knows what it is doing.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 11:27:17 am »

I gotta say, this was probably the best read I've had all year. I never understood what was going with all of this video filter stuff until now. Thanks for writing that up.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 11:57:11 am »

No problem.  It took me like 4 years of nearly constant research for work (and wading through countless postings and guides on Doom9 and Wikipedia among other places) to figure all of that out.  My understanding is still not complete, of course, but every day I learn a little more.

EDIT:  I should have said before (as I usually do)... I didn't write that all myself.  Yaobing started it on the forum here, and I took what he wrote and greatly expanded and added to it as I "wikified" it.  It was certainly collaborative though!

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 12:05:21 pm »

Thanks glynor. That made alot of sense. Next time I'll try to make it work with haali and ffdshow only then.

I looked for a DivX decoder, and I found one. Not sure exactly what type, because I uninstalled it to fast to notice. Might have been the old 3.11 thing that's been around for ages. Must have been what turned my image upside down.
Now I got a different problem. No video at all. Sound is fine though. Gspot still says I got the codecs installed, because of the ffdshow I presume.
It does not use the codec though. - Video could not be rendered it says. Have the ffdshow fallen totally off the priority list or what?
How can I put it back in the game? The ffdshow is still selected under other filters for avi playback.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 12:15:59 pm »

How can I put it back in the game? The ffdshow is still selected under other filters for avi playback.

It may not seem like it, but no video is actually better than weird, bad video.  We should be able to get it fixed.  Try this...

De-select FFDSHOW in MC's DirectShow Playback Options.  You want nothing selected in there. Reboot.

Then, go to Start --> All Programs -->  Combined Community Codec Pack --> Settings.  In the settings dialog that appears, click Next.  Then check the "Re-Register Filters" box and click Apply.  You may need to reboot again (but probably not).

That should fix you up.  If it doesn't, then read and follow the CCCP Troubleshooting Guide here: http://www.cccp-project.net/wiki/index.php?title=Troubleshooting_Guide

It probably was the old DivX 3.11 filter.  That bugger can be a bad one.

MrHaugen

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 01:34:58 pm »

This is depressing. Nothing helped.

Removed ffdshow raw video under other filters. Rebooted.
Then re-registered CCCP filters. Rebooted and tested the avi. Nothing. This time even the text "opening...."  is missing from the Display mini view. Belive it was present before? This have dissappeared for all of my movies. Strange, but THAT is not so important. I need my picture back. It's a bit boring to only listen to series and movies.

So I tried to look for any clues on the CCCP wiki. Nothing that caught my eye except, the overlay part, but I do not have that selected in ffdshow. Neither do I use 64 bit XP. Tried to download the CCCPI to check for other codecs, but nothing other than cccp was present.

I even tried to "reset all settings" under CCCP settings. Nothing changed.

A little more data from my CCCP settings page (I only got one page, not advanced etc. reffered to in the CCCP guide. Newer or older version?):
- All my file associations under the settings page is set to No change. I can't choose otherwise...
- MPEG-TS, MKV, MP4 and OGG/OGM is selected under Media Splitter. NOT AVI. I tried that too, but no change (rebooted and re-registered filters too just to be safe)

The Gspot still tells me that the video rendering is bad/not present.

A few other things i noticed:
When playing avi or any other kind of video, the haali media splitter is still used. Even though I have deselected it from the avi "other filters" section. There are 2 haali icons in my taskbar.
When I right click on the display and choose DirectShow Filters the ffdshow do NOT show up, even if I have selected it (just for testing overlay etc). This is not normal behaviour. If I remember correct. The actual video file is under the menu instead! That one I don't understand.

This makes any sense?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 01:49:15 pm »

It sounds like all the CCCP settings are correct (you should NOT select AVI for Haali).  Some weird stuff is definitely going on though...  For example, Haali should not load for AVI files.  It is only needed for MKV, OGM, and MP4.  AVI should be handled by the normal Microsoft splitter.

To confirm, in MC's DirectShow Playback Options:
  • the AVI box should be CHECKED.
  • If you "open" AVI's settings (select AVI in the list and hit "Select Filters"), Currently Selected should be blank under Source Filters and contain only JRiver Bitrate Monitor filter under Other filters.
  • Video Renderer should be set to Video Mixing Renderer 9 (assuming you are on Windows XP).

If all of this was already set this way, then I'd recommend completely uninstalling CCCP and rebooting.  Then, download the current build (Combined-Community-Codec-Pack-2007-07-22.exe) and install it.  Don't change ANY options during the install.  Make sure "Reset All Settings" is checked in the configuration page.

That will at least get you to a known good configuration.

If this STILL doesn't fix AVI playback in MC, then I want you to test one of your AVI files in Media Player Classic which is included with CCCP, and tell me if it works or not.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 01:53:06 pm »

Fear not... We will get it.

In the meantime, if you want to relax and watch a show or two while we get your DirectShow mess straightened out... VLC should fit the bill.  Not very full-featured, but you can relax and watch a Futurama or two without issue.

MrHaugen

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 02:17:52 pm »

Ok. Some updates.
- The reason there was two Haali icons showing was that I had the Gspot app open!  D'oh!
  So the AVI's don't trigger Haali at all, and other types of videos run one instance of Haali.
- For avi's I have NOTHING selected. Not even the JRiver Bitrate monitor. Can't even find it in the list of filters.
- I have selected Video Mixing Renderer 9, yes.

WMP 9 don't play the file either now.
I'll take a couple of beers while I reinstall the CCCP, and then check the WMP classic....

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 02:27:30 pm »

I'll take a couple of beers while I reinstall the CCCP, and then check the WMP classic....

[Homer]Mmmmmm.... Beer.[/Homer]

MrHaugen

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 03:03:00 pm »

Hehe. Exactly.
So, I reinstalled CCCP now. Got the message that the MKV filter or something was installed, and could cause some problems. I chose yes to disable it. Was terrified that my MKV files would not play afterwards. But they did.
Also reinstalled he FFDShow version that was included. Did not like tt really. ought it woud eraze  my ffdshow settings, and I was right.
BUT, I do have the optimal settings either on paper (from Mastiffs guide) or in head. So It will not be that hard to configure again.
The end of the story is this: Everything now plays. Finally!! Even some of my MKV files I had a problem with too, but never brought into this thread.

Will have a few hours to configure ffdshow options tomorrow, but it will all be worth it think. Only thing left now will be to select ffdshow raw video filter under Other filters for each of the file types I wan't post processing for, and the configuring it? Should be able to select this for every file type right?

One last question. The next time I'm starting from scratch. Will the easiest be to just install CCCP with ffdshow, and the Haali media splitter or the other way around? Then everything should be as it is now?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2007, 03:37:05 pm »

CCCP includes both FFDSHOW and Haali, so there is no need to install them separately (and you DON'T want to generally).  If you need a specialized version of FFDSHOW (newer than what is in CCCP) you can download it from FFDSHOW-Tryouts and install that manually, but only do it after you install CCCP, not before, or CCCP will overwrite it.  I would probably urge you not to do this unless absolutely necessary.  CCCP includes a very current and well tested version of FFDSHOW (it's one of the Tryouts builds from July).

Don't install another version of Haali at all.  CCCP has the right (and current) build.

Starting from scratch the order is:

1. Install any codecs you need to ENCODE video (such as XviD or DivX).  If given the option during the installs, tell these codecs NOT to handle playback in any way.
2. Install Quicktime Player if you are going to use the "real Quicktime", but follow the instructions on the Codec Guide: http://www.codecguide.com/quicktime_installation.htm
3. Install CCCP.  This includes FFDSHOW, Haali, Gabest MPV Decoder, and all sorts of other good stuff.  The only thing you might want to customize is de-selecting the FLV Splitter during the install (MC's FLV Splitter is better).
4. Install any additional support filters needed such as QTLite (the new Quicktime Alternative) and Real Alternative (use the Light Version).
4a. ONLY IF ABSOLUTELY NEEDED, install a newer version of FFDSHOW from FFDSHOW-Tryouts.  Don't use older versions than the build of CCCP you installed.
5. Configure custom post-processing in FFDSHOW Video Decoder and FFDSHOW Audio Decoder as desired.
6. Disable Haali Media Splitter error reporting.  Search the forum here for instructions.
7. Done!  Drink a Beer!

It was most likely that old MKV filter that was causing some troubles.  The OFFICIAL MKV package is now CCCP, which uses Haali to split the MKV files, and FFDSHOW to decode them.  Old methods and filters are deprecated and shouldn't be used (same goes for the old OGG and OGM splitters and filters -- CCCP is now the official system for those too).  Haali's Media Splitter has MUCH better support for modern MKV, MP4, and OGM files than the old separate methods.

In the future if you update CCCP (and everything is currently working fine) just make sure the "Reset all settings" option is unchecked when you go through the setup wizard and it will preserve your settings.

I'm not sure why you are selecting the FFDSHOW Raw Video filter in MC's DirectShow filters dialogs manually.  That's typically not the right choice, and shouldn't be needed anyway (because FFDSHOW will be set to the default by the CCCP install).  What exactly are you up to?  Is it mainly that you want ALL video to get routed to FFDSHOW for post-processing?

In this case, I understand I suppose... You could end up with problems though.  I'd do them one at a time and test thoroughly in-between.  Also, any file type that is ALREADY typically handled by FFDSHOW (such as MKV, MP4, and OGM) you do not need to separately add the FFDSHOW Raw filter too, and you shouldn't except as a last resort.  You only need to do this for file types that may or may not get handled by FFDSHOW (such as AVI) depending on the compression type of the file.  I would probably only do this on an as-needed basis.  If you happen to stumble upon an AVI file that doesn't load FFDSHOW (this is VERY unlikely) then go in and activate that option in MC.  Otherwise, leave it alone.

The vast majority of "scene" media is all compressed with either MPEG-4 ASP (XviD, DivX, etc) or MPEG-4 AVC (x264, Nero AVC, etc) and BOTH types will be automatically handled and post-processed by FFDSHOW.  You don't need to do anything for these.  The other stuff out there is mostly MPEG-2 and turning on FFDSHOW's support for this in FFDSHOW (rather than MC) is easy enough (just ask if you don't know how).

It's only if you run into a weird AVI file that has uncompressed video or some real old codec (Sorenson or something)... These are probably few and far between, and when they happen, you can either:

a) Enable support for that codec in FFDSHOW's configuration (under the Codecs section)
b) Enable the FFDSHOW Raw Video Filter in MC's DirectShow Playback Options dialog (last resort).

MrHaugen

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2007, 06:33:31 am »

I'm not sure why you are selecting the FFDSHOW Raw Video filter in MC's DirectShow filters dialogs manually.  That's typically not the right choice, and shouldn't be needed anyway (because FFDSHOW will be set to the default by the CCCP install).  What exactly are you up to?  Is it mainly that you want ALL video to get routed to FFDSHOW for post-processing?

I'm not really sure. As I was following Mastiffs guide, he used to manually set the raw video filter in Zoom Player. As I'm now using MC, I guess I just had to wing it. It might be used anyway, but I wanted to be sure. Mainly because that was his preferred this filter for DVD and divx post processing. And I do belive him if he says it's the best. This might have changed over the past 2-3 years however... Not really sure what the difference between raw video and the other ffdshow filters is.
If I don't select anything, what filter will be used? It depends on the file type, or will it use the same all over?

Haali was in the CCCP pack, yes. That makes it alot easier to rebuild my system next time.

MrHaugen

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 06:57:41 am »

I've put it all together now. Work flawlessly!
Not exactly sure what ffdshow filter MC uses, but I have not chosen any filters manually. For all filter types there are selected no filters.
Only file type I had to select the raw filter was for rmvb files. I just know that filter works. So why not?

The only thing left to complain about is the aspect ratio. There is something fishy the way MC handles the rezising option in ffdshow.
In zoom player you could set it to 2600 x 2600 and the aspect ratio would be corrected internally. Now I HAVE to have a rezise size of 3200 x 1800 together with "Keep original aspect ratio" to get everything right.
When it comes to DVD's I have to change the option to "No aspect ratio correction". I don't know another way than to make a shortcut to a reg file to fix that.
I will mangage, but it would be good to have some kind of way to automaticly way of switching the options.

Enough of the complaining.
Glynor, you have made my codec configuring days ALOT easier. Thanks alot for your time!
Pages: [1]   Go Up