INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Investigations in MySQL?  (Read 1622 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Investigations in MySQL?
« on: December 03, 2007, 10:51:42 pm »

Has anyone at J River looked into MySQL as the MC database at all?

Personally, I would absolutely love it if the entire (or almost every) settings/options list could be stored in the database and if it was a MySQL database that would be incredibly handy.  Then, I could write a PHP site that would connect to the database and I could manipulate it (in reasonable ways).  And then imagine running a MySQL server at home and simply using MC to connect to the database (port 3389).  I know there are a lot of implications but I can't stop imagining how amazing this could be.  You would have a table (or tables) for storing program settings.  Plus, wouldn't it help reduce database corruption as the database would be completely separate from MC?

Let me know if any investigation has been done.  I'd love to hear your experiences.  I'm a huge MySQL fan.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
Re: Investigations in MySQL?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 11:00:43 pm »

This comes up every once in a while. While general purpose databases like MySQL and Postgresql are amazing, they are general purpose. MC uses a special purpose database, and does a lot better because it is special purpose.

We use both MySQL and Postgres in house.

j

johnnyboy

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 12:23:30 am »

It would be absolutely FANTASTIC as it would give limitless potential to expand on the app but I can see how it would cause them problems as they'd have no control over customizing it.

Having said that - whats really needed is the whole OS file system to run as a DB then MC can just connect to that and use that for the data as could every other app!

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 12:52:59 am »

Yep: what if NTFS was just a MySQL database of files and their location on the disk?  There would be no synchronizing the two.

John, do you have any general statistics for running MySQL in house?  I run some complicated queries on one of my sites and am disappointed with the speed.  Of course its joining two very large tables.  But the easy and powerful access to the *MC* database as MySQL would be amazing.

I'm very interested in getting all profile settings being stored in the library files.  I just saw MySQL as a possible place to store this (registry is where much of it is stored now).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 06:37:58 am »

Has anyone at J River looked into MySQL as the MC database at all?

Personally, I would absolutely love it if the entire (or almost every) settings/options list could be stored in the database and if it was a MySQL database that would be incredibly handy.  Then, I could write a PHP site that would connect to the database and I could manipulate it (in reasonable ways).  And then imagine running a MySQL server at home and simply using MC to connect to the database (port 3389).  I know there are a lot of implications but I can't stop imagining how amazing this could be.  You would have a table (or tables) for storing program settings.  Plus, wouldn't it help reduce database corruption as the database would be completely separate from MC?

Let me know if any investigation has been done.  I'd love to hear your experiences.  I'm a huge MySQL fan.
We looked at it.  It was too slow for our purposes.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 10:44:40 pm »

There are scads of special-purpose databases available most (all) of which are faster and easier to maintain/admin that any SQL-based right like MySQL.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 03:06:41 am »

There are scads of special-purpose databases available most (all) of which are faster and easier to maintain/admin that any SQL-based right like MySQL.

From a purely technical interest, could you give an example of one of these newsposter?
I'd like to take a look.  I've never played with a non SQL database.

Cheers,
Chris

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 01:24:49 pm »

I'm in love with vsamEx, I've embedded it in a few things over the years.

http://www.1-software-source.com/index.html

JR should have a look at this too.  The licensing is very, VERY reasonable and it would open up the door to a Linux version of MC as well as multi-user/multi-server installations using the same database.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 04:14:28 pm »

Thanks that looks interesting. =)
Pages: [1]   Go Up