INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why can't MC play Apple lossless ..  (Read 1020 times)

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
  • Keep on doing mambo ...
Why can't MC play Apple lossless ..
« on: December 05, 2007, 04:13:36 am »

I am trying to convert songs to the Apple lossless format on my iPod without any luck so far. Only way to do it is to upload songs from a CD with iTunes, can't find a way to convert songs like MC can.

But what strikes me is that when I have uploaded songs with iTunes MC can play them but no sound. I thought that the iPod only had an anologue output. Or is the DA conversion made on the PC through MC

Marsies .....

Lossless Dave

• Recent member
Re: Why can't MC play Apple lossless ..
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 07:02:37 am »

Hi there,

I run my iPod in lossless (3000 tracks)

Having struggled with various issues surrounding this I can offer some general advice.

Conversion to ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) can be accomplished in three ways that I know of.

1 - In MC with external encoder set to use the iTunesEncode shim.

2 - In dbPowerAmp converter.  The Apple Lossless works sometimes, but often has to be followed with a m4a optimize pass (also in dbpoweramp) to create a fully useable track that can be played with a directshow filter in MC (iPod usage is fine) to enable extra facilities (such as internal volume control). I use DC-Bass as my ds filter.  The extra facilities and speed of the Apple Lossless/m4a optimise route makes this attractive for large convertions.

3 - In dbPoweramp use iTunesencode much like in MC.  Whilst possible I don't believe that this offers any real advantages.

BEWARE - MC12 does not write tag changes back to m4a files.  Your library will get out of step with your files if you make any changes.  If this bothers you add your voice to the request for new features.

If you have any specific questions regarding the above I will try to respond . . . .

Cheers

Lossless Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up