INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with MC12 smartlists  (Read 1701 times)

m1abrams

• World Citizen
Problems with MC12 smartlists
« on: December 05, 2007, 05:54:29 pm »

Ok I came from using MC11 and upgraded to MC12.  For the most part it was an upgrade, however either I am doing something wrong or the new smartlist system is a major downgrade from MC11.

I have posted before how to create a smartlist like this:
[Media Type]=[audio] ([Album Gain]=[] or [Intensity]=[] or [BPM]=0 or [Peak Level]=[] or [Replay Gain]=[])

This use to work great in MC11, however MC12 it does not work at all.  How can I do the above smartlist in MC12?  I have several other smartlists using similar queries that do not work in MC12

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problems with MC12 smartlists
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 02:05:27 am »

you can get it to work, but there is a bug, i guess, in the smartlist editor.

open the smartlist editor.
click on import/export
paste the rule into the form you get.
click OK
the smartlist editor has a lot of custom fields, which is ok.
but before closing change all the <empty> into []
click ok to close the smartlist editor.

this should work (it does for me).
but dont open the smartlist editor again, because the [] values will be reset to <empty>. when you close the list with those emptys in it half, of the rules will be destroyed, as i think you already noticed.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 03:07:13 am »

those []/<empty> are definately a problem.

If you use zeros instead, it should work fine:

[Media Type]=[audio] ([Album Gain]=0 or [Intensity]=0 or [BPM]=0 or [Peak Level]=0 or [Replay Gain]=0)

-marko.

m1abrams

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 08:11:30 am »

Thanks yes I have noticed this bug with <empty>, very very annoying.  I hope this is one of the top bugs in the queue to be fixed. 

I understand they wanted to make the smartlists easier to use, just wish for those who like the old style could have it as an option.  I thought the old style was simpler to accomplish complex rules, course it was a slight bit more complex to build simple rules.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 09:02:26 am »

I understand they wanted to make the smartlists easier to use, just wish for those who like the old style could have it as an option.  I thought the old style was simpler to accomplish complex rules, course it was a slight bit more complex to build simple rules.

You can still do it the old way.  Simply choose "Custom" on the left under Rules in the Smartlist Editor and then put whatever complex rule you want on the right.  It works just fine.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 09:41:51 am »

glynor, for the most part, it does work just fine, but there are still several gremlins lurking around in the smartlist editor...
As mentioned in this thread, "[Media Type]=[audio] ([Album Gain]=[] or [Intensity]=[] or [BPM]=0 or [Peak Level]=[] or [Replay Gain]=[])"

does not behave correctly after saving, then re-opening the edit dialogue.

rating=3,5 has problems too. Upon opening the edit dialogue, this has been changed to rating=3

-marko.

m1abrams

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 10:07:04 am »

You can still do it the old way.  Simply choose "Custom" on the left under Rules in the Smartlist Editor and then put whatever complex rule you want on the right.  It works just fine.

Also what I meant by that was to be able to avoid the whole popup all together.  It was nice to just have the filter always viewable and editable.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 10:27:30 am »

Ahhh.... I see.  I actually never use Smartlists, which is why I never noticed.

If you use View Schemes, with a search in Step 4 of the Edit View Scheme dialog, instead of Smartlists it provides the best of both worlds.  You can still edit the search manually, if desired using the "old" method, and you can use the wizard if you want.  You do still need to go into the Edit View Scheme dialog to modify the search, but it's still just a regular search box in there.

Still though... Those bugs in the wizard should be addressed.

m1abrams

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 10:33:17 am »

See I have never used View schemes, will try that out.

However can view schemes be synced like playlists to handheld devices?  I suspect not which would make them much less useful for me.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 10:36:00 am »

However can view schemes be synced like playlists to handheld devices?  I suspect not which would make them much less useful for me.

No, which constantly annoys me.  There is absolutely no reason why they couldn't be added to the Sync list, but they aren't selectable in there currently.  The only smartlists I have on my system are a set of special ones I use for my Sansa.

Otherwise, View Schemes offer everything that Smartlists do, but give the added benefit of being able to use the Panes/Tree/Tiles to browse and further sub-filter the media.

SwellGuy

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 04:19:01 pm »

We fixed the dropping empty values ([]) problem but are concerned this may create other problems so please beware.

Ratings are being handled as a numeric value type field so when editing by hand you should use [Rating]=4-5 instead of 4,5. To do [Rating]=3,5 you would have to use ([Rating]=3 or [Rating]=5).

We know, we know, we still have a lot of work to do here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up