INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High memory usage  (Read 1136 times)

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
High memory usage
« on: November 17, 2007, 03:53:08 am »

I haven't tried 374 yet, but at least up to 372 I've two problems that have existed for a while.

1. High memory usage - I think others have mentioned it, but I've seen MC quickly go up to as high as 700MB of swap memory usage. I have no idea what causes this, and I can't repro it on demand, but it happens reasonably frequently. I'm running on Vista, if it matters.

2. Auto importing files in excluded folders - I have my M:\ path set to be auto imported. In addition I have my M:\Recycle Bin path to be excluded. Despite this the Recycle Bin is included, most likely because it is a sub-path of the first one. BTW, this Recycle Bin is not a standard Windows one. It is a folder created by my NAS when I delete files.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: High memory usage
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 03:17:22 pm »

1. High memory usage - I think others have mentioned it, but I've seen MC quickly go up to as high as 700MB of swap memory usage. I have no idea what causes this, and I can't repro it on demand, but it happens reasonably frequently. I'm running on Vista, if it matters.

Try disabling any plugins or servers.  Also, you can minimize MC to have it release lots of memory (thumbnail cache, loaded database pieces, unloads skin art, etc.).  MC works hard to use as little memory as possible when minimized.

However, Media Center should always be fairly light-weight in the memory usage department.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 04:49:17 pm »

This is likely to be associated with a third party plug-in or other software that is being used with MC.  Here's an example of one we chased a few days ago:

Crash on clearing Playing Now
It was an old version of NetRemote (promixis.com)
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43480.msg297121#msg297121

If you'll read it carefully, starting at the bottom, you may fiind some ideas.

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 07:10:27 am »

I looked over the my plugins via the Plugin Manager, but I don't have any installed besides the default ones and it's usage at the moment is 73MB RAM and 350MB swap. After minimizing MC, it reduced to 31MB RAM and about 330MB swap.

Aside from creating a new/empty library and trying various operations carefully, do you have any suggestions for diagnosing what's causing the high mem usage?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 08:44:34 pm »

We found a bug where podcasting could allocate more memory than needed.

It's fixed in build 386, which should be available here within a week.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 12:27:38 am »

Great, I'll let you know after I try it. I do subscribe to about 10 podcasts, so maybe that's it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up