INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Jukebox 8.0.347  (Read 2705 times)

Nikolay

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Former CTO, JRiver, Inc.
Media Jukebox 8.0.347
« on: August 12, 2002, 08:52:00 am »

Media Jukebox 8.0.347 is available for download:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaJukebox8.exe

History:
1. CHANGED: Media Jukebox will not send crack information back home, and never did and will not scan hard drive. No comments please.
2. Fixed: MJ was removing MusicMatch tags while updating them.
3. Fixed: New TV Control fixes the problem of WinTV not being able to start.
4. NEW: Added support for BT8xx based TV cards. Pinnacle Systems's Studio PCTV cards are such kind of cards

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
RE:Media Jukebox 8.0.347
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2002, 10:40:31 am »

Hi Nikolay:   Same problem now on 347 as 346

Hi . I am having real issues ripping CD's now with this new version. Using the default new settings regarding the ASPI layer all i get is the same errors that Henrik was getting. Changing the setting to not use the internal ASPI layer I try again. Then it rips 1 song or 1/2 a song and then does nothing. The CD stops spinning and the light goes out. MJ will then just sit for hours until you press cancel. Pressing cancel does nothing causing the program to have to be closed (MJ that is) and restarted.
Very frustrating especially as it all worked ok before.

I have included my help / system props below for you.

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.347
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium III 1003 MHz MMX (x2)
Memory: Total - 1572 MB, Free - 1242 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows 2000 Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 2 (Build 2195)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4704.1100
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.4718
wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

Hope this helps

Many thanks

Graham

Rob Marques

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2002, 11:00:19 am »

Hi,

I am having the same issues with CD ripping, etc. Everytime I try to rip, it tells me I have no ASPI layer installed, even if I asked to use the internal ASPI layer. I installed the ASPI layer anyway, and it STILL keeps asking me to install an ASPI layer. I had to change my drive setting from ASPI to IDE to get it to at least open the CD for ripping. Haven't tried burning a CD yet, but I fear that will bomb totally (we'll see after I am done ripping the current CD in progress...)

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.343

CPU: AMD Athlon 1210 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 243 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)

Internet Explorer: 5.50.4807.2300
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shlwapi.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.5436
wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2002, 11:15:36 am »

Rob, that version is older.  Please try 347.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2002, 11:18:27 am »

Rob - 346 & 347 fix the ASPI layer question from being asked.

However in my case they have caused the ripping error.  Please tell me if you experience the same error once you have upgraded.

Cheers

Graham

Rob Marques

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2002, 11:45:34 am »

Yup. Upgraded to .347 and now I can't rip CDs at all. Comes up with the following error:

Failed to read sector. Sector 0:
Incorrect Function.

Same error I got a few builds back when I had my drive set at AutoConfig/IDE instead of ASPI. This time is errors out regardless of what I set. Going to try de-selecting the internal ASPI layer and rebooting. Also as a side note, when I was getting that error to install the ASPI layer, after I would install it and reboot, I keep getting blue screens (error 05 I believe it was, not the generic error 0E) in SCSIPORT.SYS. I can probably search my error logs for more information if you request it.

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.347

CPU: AMD Athlon 1210 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 243 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)

Internet Explorer: 5.50.4807.2300
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shlwapi.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.5436
wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Markus

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2002, 01:28:19 pm »

Since I have installed one of the last versions of MJ (maybe since 8.0.46?) the sound skips during hard drive activity which it never did before.
   Could that be related to the ASPI driver changes? Do those changes interfere that deep with the rest of my machine?
   I'm not sure but it could even be that my hard drives don't run in DMA mode anymore. It doesn't have to be MJ but I can't think of having made any other changes to my system...
Thanks!
-Markus-

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2002, 03:45:33 pm »

DOH!  I have solved my own problem!  The drive where i was trying to rip had ran out of space.  (thats 2x 120Gb HDD's full now)

However the only reason i discovered this is that I tried ripping using an old copy of Real Jukebox (sorry - JRiver) that I had.  RJ actually told me that the destination I was trying to rip to did not have enough space.

Please please can you add this as a feature - check for space.  Not just for ripping, but for moving / copying files, and amending tags.

This feature I believe would save an awful lot of hassle for many people.

Sorry to have been a pestering pain with my self made issues!!!!!! I must sound like a mad man.......

Graham

Listening to "mad man" by the Hives (Album - Your Favourite New Band)

rickscogland

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2002, 06:16:36 pm »

I tried downloading this update in hopes that it would solve the problems I listed in the thread entitled, "Can't access CDDB server or check for updates?" but not only did it not solve my problems but it added additional problems!  Now I get an "ASPI not found" type message when trying to rip a CD to MP3.  Pretty soon there will be so much of MJ that doesn't work for me that I'd be better off deleting it and going with something more basic that at least works!

Ted Brassfield

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2002, 06:24:32 pm »

Strange...

This has happened on a couple of upgrades in the past, and again with .347 -- it is not found by the upgrade utility in MJ. Is this a feature/bug? Keeping upgrades out of the hands of people who won't use 'em properly?

I am currently running .336, about to use the file to upgrade...

Thanks,
Ted

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2002, 08:55:12 pm »

I just want to say, that the last few versions did what they are design for. I have no problems with ripping besides damaged CDs (but I use EAC anyway), no problems with burning.

Only problem is, that sometimes I get an error message from windows if I close MJ (those dialogs with many numbers in them... addresses). But I rarely ever close MJ, so...

Thanks for letting us have the beta-versions. So we can (hopefully) provide helpfull information. I personally would like to test everything I can get my hands on ;-)

mountainman

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2002, 09:23:59 pm »

Yes, JRiver, please don't be afraid to continue to release beta versions.  Sometimes you end up taking a step backwards to take 3 steps forward.  That's the nature of the beast.  With all of the people banging on this thing 24 hours/day, you have a QA team that money can't buy.

rickscogland

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2002, 04:49:08 am »

I agree that "offering" beta versions is a good idea.  However, was this supposed to be a beta version?  If so, I wish it said so I would not have downloaded it.  It currently doesn't claim to be a beta version, and the "history" section shows this version without mention of it being a beta version.

When I pay for something and it doesn't work and there are no refunds and no way to make it work and all it does is waste my time trying to debug it ... something is wrong.  I'll try to be more patient for a little while, but it's getting too hard to have fun with MJ.

My current problems:

Can't use any MJ functions that require internet access even though I can access the internet through Internet Explorer fine when not using MJ.

Can't rip CD's.

Get an error message upon exit (if this was my only problem, I'd be fine with it).

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2002, 07:48:20 am »

Rick - They are always Beta versions in this forum.  Once they are general release MJ will inform you via The "check for updates" button.

Graham

rickscogland

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2002, 08:22:49 am »

OK ... I still wish it said so here.  I only came here to download it because people on this forum told me to do so.  Also, I can't click the "check for updates" button because it doesn't work (one of my main problems with MJ).  Theoretically, I also have another problem in that I had to disable "CD auto-start upon insert" in order for CD's to play, but I don't really mind that one since I didn't like the auto-start function anyway.

JGourd

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2002, 09:56:37 am »

The last two build have had a problem crashing when launching MJ as a result of double clicking on an MP3.

If I download an MP3 from the web or simply try to choose play from the context menu in the windows explorer, if MJ is not already running, it starts and then crashes. Windows then sends an error report back to Seattle.

BigCat

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2002, 09:23:36 pm »

I notice that in Media File Properties in Tools/Rename Files Using File Properties in the Directories/Rule part of the prompt there is no dropdown choice for NOT using folders.  I have to delete the ARTIST\ALBUM thing everytime!  I think this is a bug, but not sure.

Can it be fixed so MJ remembers my settings from the last time I used it?  

Better yet, can you make it so that when I choose "Rename files using file properties", "Clean file properties" or some of the other tools that I don't have to also click on that prompt once I have configured it (maybe a "don't ask me again" checkbox).  

This would save hours and hours as I have just purchased MJ8 to do one of those nasty "Importing and Re-Tagging Hordes of Messed Up Files" projects.  I have a slow machine and sometimes have to wait for dialog boxes to appear.

At the least MJ should remember the last settings I used when editing.

Thanks a million,
~BigCat~

RemyJ

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2002, 07:40:05 am »

>>I notice that in Media File Properties in Tools/Rename Files Using
>>File Properties in the Directories/Rule part of the prompt there is
>>no dropdown choice for NOT using folders. I have to delete the
>>ARTIST\ALBUM thing everytime! I think this is a bug, but not sure.

Just put a single period in the rule.  It will "save" for reuse and result in files being placed directly in the base path.

Remy
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2002, 07:43:01 am »

>>I notice that in Media File Properties in Tools/Rename Files Using
>>File Properties in the Directories/Rule part of the prompt there is
>>no dropdown choice for NOT using folders. I have to delete the
>>ARTIST\ALBUM thing everytime! I think this is a bug, but not sure.

Just uncheck the "Directory" checkbox.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

BigCat

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2002, 10:13:56 am »

Thanks for the replies!  Remy, your trick worked!  Seems a little strange, but I'm happy!

Matt, I COULD uncheck the Directories box, but I still want to move the updated files to a permanent folder, but without the fancy folder hierarchy (yeah, just all in one huge folder for now).  

Is it a problem to have too many music files in one folder?

Thanks again!
~BigCat~

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2002, 10:48:33 am »

@BigCat:

It's not a (big) problem, if you are using NTFS (because of it's binary tree organisation the "search" for files is quite fast). If you are using FAT or FAT32 it _could_ be a problem, because FAT is a linear organsiation structure and in the worst case the OS has to look at every single file entry in the directory to find a file.

"Find" here means to get access to a file. Not the find function within windows e.g.

I do not recommend it, though. Because even the binary tree search slows down a bit (the comparements needed for an exact location is proportional to the size of the searched entries). You shouldn't be able to notice this with a few hundred files, but if you have a few thousand, then the slowdown should be quite obvious.

(Caching helps hiding those slowdowns, but they a definitly there).

HTH.
Pages: [1]   Go Up