INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help with multiple instances or installations of MC  (Read 2407 times)

najarip

• Recent member
Need help with multiple instances or installations of MC
« on: November 25, 2007, 07:05:50 am »

Hi,

First of all, let me tell you that I am asking this qeustion for a friend of mine (REALLY!). He is really LOVES all that MC can do, but he is no computer geek. That's where I come in and that's why he has asked me to come up with a solution for his problem. The thing is, I don't have MC myself and the solution must not be very complicated, so that he can use it.

Problem description:
He wants TWO Media Centers (multiple EXEs/instances running or at least functioning that way).
For instance:
One MC-icon that opens his FIRST (small) library, which has settings for the media-import folders and playing now.
Second icon that opens the SECOND (large) library, which has it's own settings for the media-import folders and playing now.

I've looked at Zones, but when I switch library in zone 2, zone 1 switches also.
Also it seemed there is no way to get library 1 to import from folder 1 and library 2 to import from folder 2.
I have not tried to install MC twice on his computer, because everything points to 'document and settings' and might not interact properly.

Most importantly, two icons on the desktop that open seperate MC's with their own settings should be a solution. Is that possible in any way? I hope I can come up with a solution, so that he doesn't have to use two PC's for this setup.

When replying, I hope you can do it with step by step instructions on how to get to the solution.

TIA, Ronald

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Need help with multiple instances or installations of MC
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 08:54:23 am »

First, check the options in Tools->Options that lets you run multiple instances of Media Center.

Now I'm not too sure, but check the command line arguments to see how to start MC with a library on the command line.

Again I'm not sure, but create a couple of icons and associate them with the command line arguments needed.

I'm not sure if import libraries are a global setting or a library setting, but if they are a library setting and the
above two steps I'm not sure about work, you've got it.

j

najarip

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 09:45:44 am »

First, check the options in Tools->Options that lets you run multiple instances of Media Center.

Now I'm not too sure, but check the command line arguments to see how to start MC with a library on the command line.

Again I'm not sure, but create a couple of icons and associate them with the command line arguments needed.

I'm not sure if import libraries are a global setting or a library setting, but if they are a library setting and the
above two steps I'm not sure about work, you've got it.

j

Do you have any idea where I can find the command line arguments listed?

Ronald

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 03:22:33 pm »

The DevZone link at the top of this forum page.  It takes you to the Wiki here: http://www.jrmediacenter.com/devzone.html

All that good stuff is in there.

You should be able to get what you want fairly easily.  There is a full featured 30-day free trial for MC, so if you want to install it to figure it out yourself, you can.  Oh, and you might just like it too.   ;)

Just download the build from the Sticky thread at the top of this board and install it.  It'll work in trial mode until your 30 days is up.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 07:54:31 pm »

Yes but there's no option for choosing the library on startup. I may be able to do something...

j

najarip

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 01:14:29 am »

Yes but there's no option for choosing the library on startup. I may be able to do something...

What do you mean by 'I may be able to do something...' that? And will that also cover the different import-settings?

Ronald

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 01:25:28 am »

I would really like you to do something about this!

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 02:58:19 pm »

What do you mean by 'I may be able to do something...' that? And will that also cover the different import-settings?

Starting with MC 12.0.384, there is a command line switch /Library that loads a library.
Each library has its own import settings.

j

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 03:29:21 pm »

Starting with MC 12.0.384, there is a command line switch /Library that loads a library.

j

Yea!   :D
. . . the game is rigged

najarip

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 03:58:07 pm »

Great, I will try that soon as possible, tonight I downloaded 380 from the web, 318 was only available through MC...

Next week I'll have another go and I hope MC 384 is available then.

RP

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 05:18:50 pm »

What about displaying the UI for choosing a library only when a second instance is opened?  Otherwise, it will inevitably show the Read-Only library message and take a little longer to load, only for a user to have to then switch libraries.

morrison

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 01:33:58 pm »

j

not worked with /MediaServer key? - MC ignore /Library switch if use /MediaServer..

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 02:32:41 pm »

MC only takes 1 switch per command line. You can write a batch file if you need.

j

morrison

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 03:49:40 pm »

thanks..

najarip

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 11:10:11 am »

Great, I will try that soon as possible, tonight I downloaded 380 from the web, 318 was only available through MC...

Next week I'll have another go and I hope MC 384 is available then.

RP

I've tried it, it works GREAT, I am very happy with this extra Commandline option. Thanks for your help and thanks to J River for implementing this very quickly!

RP
Pages: [1]   Go Up