INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Track # for video files  (Read 1561 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Track # for video files
« on: December 09, 2007, 03:44:41 am »

Sorry to hog the boards today.

I am trying to get Track # to show up in video viewschemes, but it seems that in options, under that field's options, I cant tick the other media types.

gappie

Re: Track # for video files
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 03:53:39 am »

indeed you cant change that. it would be nice to be able to change those values for standard library fields.

but there is a way to get the track # in a video view scheme.
choose edit view scheme
by media type, include audio
now you can add track # in the columns
take audio away again from the edit view scheme.
the column will stay
 :)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 06:16:50 am »

I use track numbers with anything that comes in series. One example is TV series episodes. Sometimes I use it with image and document files too. It is the only field that has an automatic numbering system (right-click > fill track numbers from list order).

I have had it in my "Video" column views for ages and actually didn't realise that it is now only available for audio by default. Seems like it doesn't show up in AW > tag even though the column is included in the current view and AW > Tag is set to show all fields.

The "Track #" field should be changed to be available for all media types. Actually, I can't see any reason see why the users are not allowed to change these "Flags" if the field happens to be one of the "Standard" fields. The default media type flags may be good as defaults, but the users may have different needs.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

gappie

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 06:24:17 am »

I use track numbers with anything that comes in series. One example is TV series episodes. Sometimes I use it with image and document files too. It is the only field that has an automatic numbering system (right-click > fill track numbers from list order).

I have had it in my "Video" column views for ages and actually didn't realise that it is now only available for audio by default. Seems like it doesn't show up in AW > tag even though the column is included in the current view and AW > Tag is set to show all fields.

The "Track #" field should be changed to be available for all media types. Actually, I can't see any reason see why the users are not allowed to change these "Flags" if the field happens to be one of the "Standard" fields. The default media type flags may be good as defaults, but the users may have different needs.
it only shows up in aw>tag> show tags in current view.
i would really like it when i can change these flags. there are more fields that you have in audio and would also make sense in video.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 06:32:03 am »

I've often wondered why users are not able to edit the media type flags of standard fields. It struck me that that was what they were there for in the first place.

It is the only field that has an automatic numbering system (right-click > fill track numbers from list order).

MC has an expression function called counter() now.
It can be set to start counting from any number you specify, and can also be set to count in any increment you choose too, so, numbering 2, 4, 6, 8 or 3, 6, 9, 12 is possible.
It works with any field you like and is remarkably easy to use too.
As the [track #] field has some special internal sorting stuff going with it that makes sure in certain situations, that album tracks are listed sequentially, it is still my preferred choice for ordering files grouped using the [album] field.

-marko.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 10:36:10 am »

I agree also it really ought to be possible to edit the media subtype of built-in library fields :)
FWIW, the track number field is still actually there, just not visible. The way I normally do things is to use the fill track numbers from list order function, and then clone this into a separate Episode Number field.
Would be nice not to have to do this, especially with music videos; Often these really ought to be in the album numbering sequence, and it can be a pain copying things back & forth to get the order right.

-Leezer-

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 05:28:00 am »

Yes, I saw the episode field too. It would be nice if a "Fill episode numbers by list order" tool were available in video viewschemes.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 05:45:09 am »

MC has an expression function called counter() now.
It can be set to start counting from any number you specify, and can also be set to count in any increment you choose too, so, numbering 2, 4, 6, 8 or 3, 6, 9, 12 is possible.
It works with any field you like and is remarkably easy to use too.
As the [track #] field has some special internal sorting stuff going with it that makes sure in certain situations, that album tracks are listed sequentially, it is still my preferred choice for ordering files grouped using the [album] field.

I am familiar with the Counter function. It works, but if you want to rename files and include the created numbers with padded zeros in the name string you need to add the PadNumber function in the naming rule.

The numbering process using the Counter and PadNumber functions is more complex than just using the built-in automation of the Track # field.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 07:52:22 am »

I think if they want to enforce [track #] for Audio and [Episode] for Video, then maybe, internally, MC should treat [Episode] the same way it does [track #]. For instance, if we highlight a bunch of Videos and right click, then we should get the option to "Fill Episode Numbers From List Order". And any view that would ordinarily have a default sorting for [track #] should treat [Episode] the same way.

And now that I think about it, [Series] should be treated the same way as [Album]. I know there's some level of automatic internal sort handling for [Album] going on in some places as well.

Now what to use for Images? That's where I find myself missing [track #] the most. My personal photos I all have named using [Date (filename friendly)] as it makes for a really easy way to find duplicate images. They also sort correctly and keeps me from having to think up names for them. But image series that come from elsewhere may not have this information available, so I tend to name them using a [Album] - [track#] naming scheme.
Pages: [1]   Go Up