INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Version 9  (Read 7739 times)

nila

Version 9
« on: August 11, 2002, 08:19:16 pm »

Ok,
Seeing as your playing with version 9 and adding random features to it I thought I'd throw a few your way so you could possibly add them to it.
Also, I'd like to volunteer as a beta tester for it.

Could you add these fields:
Last Played date
Total Number of Times Played
Imported Date

Also the ability to edit the id3 tags of a song and save them without the song starting again from the beginning.

I'd also LOVE it if you'd make the import files feature smarter so it could detect covers for albums saved in a folder along with their covers.

Also (I know I mentioned it before but it's quite an important one to me so I'll just mention it quickly) the ability to filter the playlists by artists who have Less than or More than X songs to get rid of artists who only are in my collection by being in compilations or to filter in only artists with a half decent amount of songs.

The ability to browse explorer style my computer is now a huge bonus.

I'd also like a feature to export all my settings just from going to file - export settings, rather than having to do it manually and even then loosing all my registry settings.

I'd like the install program to be smarter so I didn't have to reselect all my file associations each time I install an updated version.

Smarter renaming rules so that I could for instance specify a format (artist - album - track # - track title) but then also specify alternative ones for tracks that missed specific fields.

File truncating when burning and file names are over 256 - I'd love to be able to have an option for these files instead of just having their names being cut short, have their names instead re-created from the id3 tags using formats of my choice.

Ability to have Media Jukebox span playlists over multiple cd's for burning.

Make it prompt weather or not to empty the playlist after a cd is burnt.

cant think of anything else right now :)

Oh yeah,
for your sake more than mine,
I HUGELY recommend making it support the PC iPOD as this would be something you could then use to make Apple advertise your program which would give you a LOT of business.

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
RE:Version 9
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2002, 12:03:46 am »

Well as per the other thread i will repeat my biggest wish...

One big file album rips and CUE sheet support...
Compression with Monkeys to APE and APL support..

Then also how about offline CDDB services... FreeDB allows the DL of its database and this is enormously useful for those that dont have a Ripping PC networked or perhaps are on dialup... I dont know if Gracenote have restrictive licencing but FreeDB local database access would be really cool (though FreeDB is not as good as CDDB)...

More web remote intergration...

More access via SDK's to all aspects of the app for external developers...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2002, 12:16:49 am »

Then if i can play fantasy football... Obviously with multichannel soundcards in mind...

A DPLII decoder plug in (so that only those that want to pay the dolby licence buy it) for less than $50... The ability to play DTS 24/96 redbook CD's would also be mighty cool as PowerDVD is nothing like as friendly as MJ...

A DVD-A player (lots to solve in this, MLP decoder, etc) for less than $200 or there abouts...

The first DVD-A player for the PC (I dont think Sony will ever let SACD into the PC arena) will be a watershed moment and could be the item that breaks the dam and gets DVD-A the momentum it needs... This coupled with 24/192 soundcards at $150 or so (ego sys) is a really hot proposition... I understand the need for no ripping of this simply a DVD based playback mechanism... The AVS crowd wuld be all over this....

Feeling brave ?
HTPC Front ends  

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2002, 01:04:11 am »

I also offer my services as a Beta tester.....

Chico

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2002, 03:50:54 am »

We can all be beta testers if JRiver holds true to form.

A couple of my V9 requests are:
1) Have all library and playlist files in a centeral location with a unique name that reflects the library or playlist name.

2) The ability to control handheld devices (Play, Stop, Pause, FF, RW, Skip, Next, Previous...).  My intrest is for the Nomad Jukebox, but I assume everyone will want the same for their particular handheld.

Chico

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2002, 04:19:56 am »

@chico:

You can actually do a central archive with the version 8. Just "rename" the files to a subdirectory, where you would like to have all the files. I do this with g:\medienarchiv already.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2002, 05:14:24 am »

A way of either allowing multiple clients to safely all handle the same DB on a network drive or a way of propogating the DB via the Media Server to multiple clients (not only party mode) bi directionally...

This only becomes important for madmen like me with too many PC's around who like to tie them all together but currenlty I am struggling..

Party mode is doable with a central update server (I have my central server RDC'ed with XP pro and terminal into it for DB maintainance) but its hardly elegant...

Media Server does not pass out the Cover art (I believe) and with that being so nice with Glissando I dont want to give that up..

Sharing the DB on a network drive was not advised...

I guess I could set a backup tool to backup and propogate my central DB and cover art folders to my client (player) machines each night (in fact that could be your way of doing it... Daily updade specified DB's) and this sounds like something I should investigate...

I will keep jumping back in here as I think of more... :D !!
HTPC Front ends  

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2002, 06:04:10 am »

Please keep the ideas rolling, and thanks for any input
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2002, 06:57:22 am »

All the time I wondered, why the definitly saved lyrics don't show in MJ. Hah! You simple ignore the v2-tag Lyrics :-)

Ok. Would you please include this in ver9? I did spend quite some time on updating, file by file, the lyrics-tag and I'm now somewhat dis-satisfied that they don't show up.

Thanks in advance.

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2002, 07:59:54 am »

- Rip a CD in ONE track (see BPM Studio)
- Smart crossfade (end of song detection, no crossfade until song  
 really ends, etc.)
- Be able to see Playing now and Media Library together (see Winamp
 3)
- To be able to see which playlist you are playing at that moment.
 (if you add or delete a song from playing now, that it
 shows "Modified Playlist", see Winamp 3)
- export playlist with right mouse click
- Look for album art on the internet while you're playing the track
(see MusicMatch)
- Auto importing from specified folder(s)
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

Gatobrit

• Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2002, 08:17:22 am »

Matt - a couple of ideas for v.9....

Don't forget all the v9 talk regarding "Shuffle" and "Random" from the thread/s some time back.

Shuffle / cross-fade options specifiable by smartlist / playlist / album. For example, when I play "Dark Side of the Mooon" I always want it in track order, gapless but with no cross-fade.

Alternatively, simply have an overall / global option to "Play Albums Gapless in Track Order" or something.

Speed up ripping / encoding. I have a 52X CD drive and a P4 1500MHz system and MP3 VBR ripping is not as fast as it should (or could?) be.

Batch / background CDDB lookup.

Pop and squeak filtering in Media Editor.

Listening to: 'Valerie' from 'Chronicles' by 'Steve Winwood' on Media Jukebox
Namaste,
John

SkylarPlane

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2002, 08:35:34 am »

Please be sure to address the following:

1).  Please remove all duplicates

2).  When MJ cannot identify the name and artist, read the file name
    and display and ask the person to fill in the needed info and
    then update the file, even if you have to copy it over so it
    will from then on have the needed info.

It's very frustrating to have to clean up everytime one updates

Skylar

Riff

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2002, 08:43:02 am »

The duplicate feature would be extremely useful.

Also, I would like an option so that you if there is no album art for a particular song, the visualizations with album art should not come up for that track.  Not too big a deal, but it would be nice - especially for HTPC use.

lee269

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2002, 09:17:44 am »

Another vote for finding duplicates here.

Also a way of finding which files have no cover art associated with them. Album view has a nice visual way of doing it by colouring items in the tree, but a cover art db field would be just as useful.

Duane

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2002, 10:43:25 am »

How about making the burn feature less "CPU / memory- hungry"...?

hvy duty

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2002, 10:56:48 am »

Matt

I think everybody has asked about the dup files, we have a long time ago.  
This would be a great asset for MJ.  JimH was talking about a plugin and a little extra money for it don't know what happened there but hope you can add it to MJ9.

nila

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2002, 12:57:57 pm »

Didn't mention but I'd like the ability for plugin's etc to add their own buttons to the tool bar. Ability for playlists to be hotkeyed and to be added as buttons easily to the toolbar (or maybe even to their own tool bar).

i know this might be a grey area so I'd like to hear your opinions on it but my computer at home is networked (the one with all my music on it) and so I can play the music on it from all my computers and use it as a music server for my house (pretty sure I could do this with the original cd's too and still be not breaking any copyright laws) but one problem I have is that each computer can only act on the main server as a server. I'd like them to all be able to move, edit, copy, create playlists etc on the main computer easily.
This is obviously a big job though and not as easy as my other requests to just slip in. Not sure what copyright implications it might have too. I'd definitely LOVE the other computers to be able to create playlists though on the music computer.

sekim

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2002, 02:17:06 pm »

I think I got the right thread this time.

Visualizations. Make 'em play like winamp. I know this is only glitter for MJ, but they could be a whole lot better. This about the only thing winamp does really well. Is it possible for MJ to do this also?

More toolbar button choices. Analyze Replay Gain comes to mind. Have it on the toolbar, click, searches library for files needing that special touch, takes off and does it thing. Make it save the results automatically. Preferably in the background while doing something else with MJ.

Real compatibilty with external word or spreadsheet programs for mass tag updating. Export tag info, edit, re-import changed data and be able to read what the external app has done. Many requests for this. Or...can MJ be made to behave like said programs?

More later.

Listening to: 'Mind Riot' from 'Badmoterfinger' by 'Soundgarden' on Media Jukebox

JaredH

• Superfluously Articulate
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2002, 04:05:10 pm »

id also like to volunteer for Beta testing. I also would like to once again throw in my idea for Making the Tree completely customizable. That means the ability to remove every single part of it if someone so desired.
J. A. Hayslett

Blog & Gallery - http://www.bgracetfaith.net

JaredH

• Superfluously Articulate
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2002, 04:14:05 pm »

Also like to see, if its possible, the ability to copy a cd to cd, similar to nero's cd copy. And yes some more speed to the encoding/ripping area. Then i could use MJ for all of my audio needs. Unfortunately i still use nero for burning. Also, MJ8 for some reason whenever you burn a cd with multiple artists, in the CD text part it will name the artist as Various Artist when you leave the artist field blank, which in turn gives every track the artist name of Various Artist, instead of the correct artist info. Anyway to change that for MJ9
J. A. Hayslett

Blog & Gallery - http://www.bgracetfaith.net

Chico

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2002, 06:39:16 pm »

I also like the "Find Dupes" idea.

Also, retain the postion and highlighted files of previous views when changing views.  If I leave Media Library and go to Playing now, then go back to Media Library, it should be in the same state and list position I left it, not back to the beginning of the list.

mountainman

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2002, 08:35:44 pm »

I'd like to be able to rip DVD's just like CD's.  I don't like manually manipulating DVD's to play them as we just end up with video boxes everywhere at our house.  Just like CD's, this would provide a way to archive your collection, too.  I would love to get our videos on MJ and pipe them to the right TV through the network.  That would be too cool.

By the way, if ripping DVD's is illegal, then nevermind.

Sergio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2002, 12:34:30 am »

I have some requests too :)

I'd like to have an "MP3-Gapless" playback mode, so that I can hear my MP3's without gaps. This has been discussed before, and can be achieved by adding a play mode similar to smooth crossfade, only with a very small interval, say 0.01s.

Also, a better playing time estimate would be really good. I am trying to make a plugin that relies heavily on the current playback time and I find that if I seek, there's a big de-synch between the real playback time and the playback time reported by MJ.
Sérgio Gomes

phelt

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2002, 01:14:59 am »

I don't care about more burner features, I just want EAC integrated into MJ

I don't care about dupe finding, but it sounds like it would be a very popular feature. If it would stop the shouting, I'm for it.

I would like more flexibility in view schemes: if I could include track names in the branched view, that would be great.

Gapless MP3 playback would be cool.

Omnipresent Playing Now - there's a resizable area for the visualizations above the Playing Now browser view, so could that same area be omnipresent (ie, visible while browsing the Media Library, etc) and contain the contents of Playing Now? That would rock.

Scronch

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2002, 01:45:11 am »

More powerful and flexible command line commands and options.  In addition to more command options (e.g. Shuffle On/Off, Continuous On/Off), I'd like some query commands (e.g length of playlists, status of toggle switches, statistics on Playing Now) to allow the application of logic operators.

Scronch

Sergio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2002, 03:15:46 am »

Oh, yes, and a max CPU utilization control for the visualizations would be really excellent
Sérgio Gomes

Brak

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2002, 03:52:18 am »

More suggestions:  

Make the DSP studio window dockable.  It's annoying to have to alt-tab back and forth to adjust the settings then replay the section to see if it sounds right.  Plus, it's a heck of a lot more interesting than those worthless visualizations.  

Put buttons for skip 5 seconds forward and back with the other playback controls.  Those are especially handy commands when listening to audiobooks.  

And speaking of audiobooks, how about a playback speed adjuster?  When playing DVDS and videos in a decent DVD player, you can fast forward and slow down.  I want to be able to do the same thing with plain audio files.  That way I can skim through a one-hour audio file to find where I fell asleep while listening.  

Thanks

Marty3d

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2002, 05:06:54 am »

Hm...some things comes to mind:
- dupefinding, but in playlists or Playing now (right-click -> remove duplicates perhaps?) not physical
- Replay Gain smarter so it could be applicable on albums, continuous tracks are a disaster to listen to when RP'd
- Cover arts visible somehow (haven't thought out how) even though the track/album isn't playing
- Top hits with customizable date ranges (maybe even with dynamic ranges...like "Week(Now)"...that would be REALLY cool!)
- Fully transparent for multiple users on one computer, each user has its own library (or shared if wanted) and no "re-install" for each user
- No more convert to temporary files if you want to burn with effects and RP...I don't mind if the burning process takes a bit longer, I do mind about diving into settings and change output and stuff!
- Customizable hotkeys for play, rewind, pause etc.
- (Just a wild idea :)) Detachable player/library/playlist/info windows! Optional of course ;) Then you can see whatever window you like, a playlist AND Media library at the same time!
- Smarter handling of folders. It's a minor mess to rename a folder for an album for instance. Now I remove the album from MJ library, rename it, and import it again...sigh...:)
- Separate some functions in the properties window. I really didn't like that I was forced to watch MJ browse through all files and then see it doing that again when I chose to do some RG...perhaps I just want to see RP being more intuitive? For example: Actually be able to see/sort files that are/aren't RP'd?

And don't forget, I love MJ! No human or product is perfect...right?

Rusty

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2002, 05:24:45 am »

Version 9 Suggestions:-

I really only have two big ones (wishes that is) that I'm always on about & they are:

1) Decent Pop, Scratch & Hiss filtering in Media Editor (in real time & even perhaps with a Assistance Wizzard if possible) to enable proper clean up of audio inputs from tape & vinyl sources.

2) Simplify this Replay Gain mess ... Put a simple one click button on one of the right click drop down menu's e.g. = "VOLUME LEVEL PLAYLIST" etc, to enable Volume Levelling of all tracks, regardless of file type (OGG, APE, MP3 etc) prior to burning, or even perhaps for your entire Media Library if that's what everyone wants ... But definitely for the various songs in a Compilation Playlist prior to burning!

Could we perhaps be kept informed about the various features that already have made & are destined for the Version 9 inclusion cut?

Kindest regards - Rusty (listening to "UNDECIDED" by the Masters Apprentices).

Steven Grimm

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2002, 09:39:46 am »

Allow range searches in smartlists (all artists with names starting "A" through "G", all tracks with custom field 1 between "50" and "75", etc.)  For some time now that's been the major thing missing for me.  I want to do this on custom fields (I store beats per minute there) but it'd be good for other fields as well.

yughi

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2002, 09:44:40 am »

Well I personly like Version 8 already very good. I use it from Version 6 and bough my first license with 7.2  and later upgraded the license for free with 8.0.

All that time this program has been the best on the market. Now I don't buy much online, in  the group of software, but this kind of software is worth is money.

What I would love to see is even MORE export and import formats. Every format has it's own use and and it's very usefull to have even more.

Anyhow, perfect product and am very interrested in what 9 will bring.
---
Reality is, eating icecream in the sahara!

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2002, 09:50:16 am »

Just found out, that MixMeister doesn't save the calculated BPM into the tags. Sh..oot.

So this could be somewhat more difficult to JRiver than I thought. Maybe it is possible for ver11 or so

nila

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2002, 04:43:54 pm »

After burning would like a dialog to pop up asking me if I wanted to keep the list there, if I wanted to save the playlist to an MJ playlist or to just clear it like it does currently.

Better way of dealing with Radio stations - I'd like to be able to easily export my list of stations, to send them to friends etc.

Have an 'I love you button' that I can press every time I realise how much I love the program and feel like letting you guys know.

ALOT of communication with Rhino so that AV v2 (which I'm testing and is SUPER fast) is VERY tightly integrated with MJ.

Option to choose where the Covers are saved (in the data dir or in the same dir as the songs themselves if they're all in the same dir).

I'd like the actual MJ interface to be more configurable so that I can customise where the different screens are and which screens appear at what time. ie. I'd lilke to be able to choose to have the current playlist showing at all times maybe, have the DSP studio showing at all times (Gotta say, this feature is VERY easy to miss with the way it's currently set up). - Take a look at cuteftp pro for an example where they redid the GUI and set it up to allow you to move each screen around more. Also ACDSee (latest version).

An input box on the 'player' so that I can type in a time and it will jump to that time for me.

Ability to loop a song between two spots and have it just keep looping.

Tempo control added to the DSP.

An 'Intro' mode that just plays the first X seconds of all tracks in the current playlist.

1-10 for song ratings as 1-5 just isn't giving me anywhere near enough options to be able to use for decent ratings. Include an easy option to upgrade from v8 by doubling all ratings already set so 1=2, 2=4, 3=6, 4=8, 5=10 maybe with an option for the user to specify what each old rating maps to (they could do: 1=1, 2=3, 3=5, 4=7, 5=9 if they wanted).

Replay gain added better - would like a button or an option in the tools menu that I could click and it would simply analyse the Replay Gain of mp3's that didn't have it worked out already and save this value. Not have to select all the mp3s properties then tell it to skip ones already analysed.

Low memory usage mode (possibly just comes into effect with Mini MJ) that drops the db from memory and just plays my songs using as little excess memory as possible so it can run quietly in the background.
more later....

Chico

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2002, 05:38:30 pm »

Phelt...
"I don't care about more burner features, I just want EAC integrated into MJ  
I don't care about dupe finding, but it sounds like it would be a very popular feature. If it would stop the shouting, I'm for it."

Who cares that you don't care?
Just post what you do care about.

dedidio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2002, 05:46:45 pm »

I only have one request - a preview option (similar to the one in musicmatch) .... play a song immediately without adding it to, or disturbing, the playing now list.

looking forward to image features.

P.S. thanks for fixing TV
http://www.theindependentstate.co.uk - Where everyone is as bored as you.

BigCat

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2002, 09:06:47 pm »

NUMBER ONE - Improved Property Editing:

The most important thing for me would be the ability to create user configured "sequenced" property editing rules.  The way it is now with a new file I must (after entering Properties): edit the tags, then one at a time use those drop down tools like Clean File Properties, then Rename File From Properties, etc...

It would be nice if I could maybe just clean up the tags, highlight all the files, then click one button I had previously configured to do all this stuff in the right sequence the way I like it.

At the least MJ should remember the last settings I used when editing.

Also, a way to view, COMPARE, syncronize id3v1 and idv2 tags

Support/ show more tags

Improved Media file property layout in general- the tools are awesome!  They should be out where you can see and access them with buttons and right clicking, not just on the drop down menu!

Fit more info on the same screen - the info in the last screen in Properties (Format) should be somewhere in the first screen (General).  Instead of four screens (general, playlists, images, format), it should be just one or two.

Better capitalization- a user defined "exceptions" dialog with some presets (like in Mp3-Tag Studio)

"APPLY" command in "media file properties" for saving individual files!!!

Batch / BACKGROUND CDDB lookup
Batch / BACKGROUND replay gain analysis
Batch / BACKGROUND search for files that don't have v1/v2, etc. tags
Batch / BACKGROUND cover art lookup

Thanks,
~BigCat~

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2002, 09:14:45 pm »

Image-functions:

I thought about it some days now. And I will try to suggest some usefull features with it:

I've quite a lot of pictures to handle (digicam *g*). To do this I now use ACDSee. Since a few days ACDSee keeps crashing, if I visit more than a couple of pictures. So stability will be first.

Second.
I would like an option to specify the size of the thumbnails, because most of the time I use 1024x768-resolution but my girlfriend uses 1280x1024. So we have different needs for thumbnail-sizes and I personally don't like "resized thumbnails".

Third. This is a must have feature.
We usually do a picture-evening after vacations. We use a laptop in combination with a TV. So we have to look at the pictures at fullscreen and with smart controls (e.g. the cursor-keys) to switch from one picture to another (forwards and backwards). But usually we create a selection of pictures first, so no one falls asleep looking at thousands of similar things. I think an easy to use "playlist"-like handling would be a solution.
The most important in this features is easy handling. I don't like spending more time handling the slideshow than telling the stories. Another easy way could be using right mouse button for forward and left for backward. Doubleclick for "end slideshow".

Third, 5. Nice to have.
Let me assign an audio-playlist to a picture-playlist for background music. Don't do a direct assignment "one audio - one picture" (because we usually don't look 5min to one picture). Oh... _this_ feature could also make MJ a "killer application"; maybe it's not nice to have but a must have ;-)

Fourth.
I would like to have the pictures organized like my MP3-files (e.g. G:\Medienarchiv\pictures) with "category" (vacation, fun, art, flowers...), "time" (year), "location" (rhodes, at home, doesn't matter), "sub-location" (for the town/site), "size" (resolution, maybe dpi). So I think it would be usefull to have a "rename all"-function with _other_ options than mp3-files (because I'd like to have the option to put the pictures to some other storage-directory than my audio without having to switch this option every time).
I would like to see this as easy as the audio-renaming (because my pictures tend to have filenames like "DSC12947" and I would like to have them like "vacation - rhodes 2002 - kameiros.jpeg" saved in "g:\medienarchiv\pix\2002\Vacation\Rhodes\").

Fifth. This is must have feature.
Show the EXIF(?)-information ("exposure", "zoom", "Blende"(engl?)) from the digi-cam-pictures (they are automatically added to the jpeg/tiff). I think it is similar to mp3-tags. It would also be usefull to filter/organize by these informations. And please show them, as an option, together with the thumbnail (this one I hate in ACDSee. You have to switch around to see); maybe show it in the status-line at the bottom.

Sixth. Nice to have feature.
Histogram-function. This means changing the brightness distribution (you might know this from Photoshop or similar programs, particularly if you do digitcal photos). I have to use this quite often, because the most pictures are not optimal (even with a 4mpix camera... exposure). Maybe some _simple_ edit tools (like cutting and turning). Or let me easily "double-click" and start the default-editor for this particular file-type.

Seventh. The future.
Let Media Server "stream" the pictures (maybe with the assigned audio-playlist) to another computer like mp3-files. Let the other computer create playlists and do the slideshow (it would be Ok, if the server stores the playlists).  So it would be possible to store the pictures onto the server and use a laptop and an ethernet-link to show the familiy, what you did that 2 weeks.

Ok. Maybe you find this usefull. Would like to hear comments from others.

BigCat

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2002, 09:15:52 pm »

Also... ;-)

NUMBER TWO - Karaoke

-Karaoke Emulation with synchronized lyrics and image display
-Lyrics Synchronization Editor, to create Karaoke Lyrics (you possibly could dominate that growing market).

NUMBER THREE - EAC!

Another big vote for using MJ as an EAC frontend!  If this is possible it would be huge news in the industry!  Can you imagine?

As you might tell from my above post I have been thinking about this stuff for a long time and hoped some of it would end up in V8.xxx (especially the editing stuff).  Like everyone else here, I care.

Thanks for the great program!
~BigCat~

Brak

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2002, 01:25:39 am »

One more thing:  In most Windows programs, you can right-click on an item then press "r" to access the properties.  There's just something wrong with having to press "p" two or three times (depending on whether there's anything on the Windows clipboard to paste) then enter to do the same thing.  It'd also be nice to be able to access the song's playlists from the context menu as well.  

And if you don't want to set it up that way, please consider making the context menus (and everything else) more customizable.  It'd be useless to ask for something as customizable as MS Word, but please use the standard commands or let me set it up to do just that.  I'm constantly tinkering with my songs' playlists and would really like for it to take less work to get to this feature (and no, the send to feature isn't enough since I need to know what lists it's already in before adding a song to new ones).  

Thanks for listening.

Jazzwolf

• World Citizen
  • Jazz, Classic Rock, Classic 70's NY Salsa
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2002, 07:19:53 pm »

I would love for MJ9 to be able to play winamp visualizations, while I enjoy MJ8's visuals they just don't come close to winamp's.
It's alright now, I learned my lesson well, you see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself - Rick Nelson

gkerber

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2002, 08:28:02 pm »

I'm one of the newer MJ users, is there a planned release date for v9?

Nick LeFave

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2002, 09:24:09 pm »

Feature idea for media library:

The ability to view Artist/Album and Album(compilation only) in one view. To do this, maybe add a field to say sort as a compilation album. Also not to have the individual Artist track from the compilation appear in the list. Compilation tracks only appear with compilation.

Here's an example

Charley Patton - Godfather Of The Delta Blues
Hell Hounds On My Trail: Songs Of Robert Johnson <<>>
Howlin' Wolf - Memphis Sessions
Screamin' And Hollerin' The Blues <<
>>
ZZZ - Ice Cream For Everybody

Adding this ability to the Media Library would make this program an even more representative candidate for the pinnacle of media jukeboxes.

phelt

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2002, 12:26:24 am »

Chico: I care about the next version getting bogged down by endless and increasing minutiae. I care about a reasonable division of programmer labor to achieve stable and elegant features. How's that?

nila

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2002, 02:17:42 am »

There's no date for v9. It's still in the VERY early programming days.

It's not even at the Alpha testing stage yet I dont think what to speak of Beta and then final. Many months away at least.

Here's something CRUCIAL for v9.
You might not think it's crucial but that's because you just dont realise it yet :).
ICONS - I wanna be able to choose more icons for file types associated with MJ and I want to be able to set different icons for the different file types easily.
I know I can do this in Windows Explorer but two things:
 1 - changing the icon for one type automatically changes it for all types associated with MJ due to the way it's been associated.
 2 - changing it this way is slow and painful.

The reason I want this so much is because when browsing with windows explorer playlists and actual songs look the same by glancing at the file and this is really annoying, makes it alot harder and less simple to edit.

Winamp v2 used to give us a lot of different icon choices which was great but now they've got rid of that feature for v3 (I blame AOL for that probably).

Also, some more interesting, colourful icons would be nice.

Petty I know but it'd be a VERY nice feature. I'm currently setting all the associations manually and giving them winampv2 icons - it's a slow and painful way of doing it but worth it in the end.

cjdshaw

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2002, 04:55:17 am »

Nick: You can set the Album Artist tag for your compilations to "Various" but leave the Artist tags correct for each track. Then set your view scheme to

Album Artist
Album

This should already be the default for the Artist/Album scheme. MJ will group by Album Artist if it exists, otherwise by artist. At least this will group your compilations as albums, rather than scattering them about as individual artists. They will all show up under Various, like this:

Charley Patton - Godfather Of The Delta Blues
Howlin' Wolf - Memphis Sessions
Various - Hell Hounds On My Trail: Songs Of Robert Johnson
         Screamin' And Hollerin' The Blues
ZZZ - Ice Cream For Everybody

Chico

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2002, 11:31:48 am »

Hey phelt:
No flaming was intended, dude! (Actually, it was meant as a joke.)
Your suggestions were good.  I agree that multiple windows would definately be a plus.  I don't no about additional burning features as MJ does quite well with burning both data and audio CDs.  The dupe finder I feel is a good idea.  Those with 1000|PLS| files may want to weed out the dupes and a having MJ help there would be a plus.  I know that my collection is relatively small at 7000|PLS| files, and I'm sure that I have some dupes (not many though as I try to keep track of it as I add to the collection).

To All....
On a different note reguarding visuals...
Is there any visual like "White Cap" available for MJ?  That is one of the most awsome vis's.  It is one of my favorite Sonique visuals.

kandarohidharmapala

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2002, 02:29:44 pm »

just 2 suggestions for version 9.... i find searching through the hard entire hard drive takes quite a long time when importing files into mj8, and if i am listening to a playlist at the time, and come to the end of a track, then the music stops and wont restart until importing is over. v9 should noy do this. also, it would be nice if the title you give to a playlist or mix was displayed in the right hand window so you could do work in the left one without forgetting which playlist you are currently listening to without needing to go back to playing now to fiond out, maybe losing the work you are in the middle of in the left hand window. also, enable hiding the  dialog when downloading updates or importing, and whatever you might be doing, making sure that all the functions remain accessable while another process is going on, and that the music never stops until you tell it to, whatever else you might be fiddling with.... its nice to have music from playlists continuing while you work at the more mundane tasks of organizing and tagging etc.

sekim

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2002, 05:27:31 pm »

Looking at MJ while burning brought up another thought. Would it be possible to incorporate the pop-up (writing tracks) into the burner info window instead of being a pop-up?

Seems like there a ton of pop-ups for everything MJ does. Maybe keeping (all of) them in the right pane when a selected action is requested would give MJ a more 'streamlined?' look. This may have to be done with addition of a more thorough toolbar perhaps? Anyway, just daydreaming about how things could be...

Listening to: 'Just So You Know' from 'The War of Art' by 'American Head Charge' on Media Jukebox

PS - Another fine band from Minnesota.

Jafo

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2002, 09:35:23 am »

Jazzwolf said:

I would love for MJ9 to be able to play winamp visualizations, while I enjoy MJ8's visuals they just don't come close to winamp's.

I would also like this. Specifically Mildrop.

Influxor

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2002, 10:16:55 am »

I fully agree, Winamp's visuals are awesome...would be nice ;)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up