INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I Digg It  (Read 1535 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
I Digg It
« on: December 14, 2007, 09:15:55 am »

Noticed we can Digg threads here now.... Nice.   ;)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: I Digg It
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 09:24:37 am »

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 10:53:43 am »

I see digg links have been added.  I saw them first!

I have never got anything to the homepage.  I desperately tried to get my gift pathways site to the homepage (posting it 5 times and creating a few accounts but nothing worked).  I got two Diggs by other people max.

benn600

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 10:31:39 am »

I see that MJ was "dugg" but it really only matters (at all) if they get to the homepage.

What if we had a group effort of a hundred or so users on THIS FORUM that would all digg the same articles?  Could we add two listings to digg and then all of us digg at the same time?  We could get them to the homepage.

My friend and I were discussing this and we think a lot of users have huge bot networks that get stuff to the homepage.

Can we digg:
MJ12, Free

We only need 50 people in about a one hour period and we'd get the articles to the homepage.  Can we go for it?  Can we schedule a digg session?  Everyone signup and report back.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 12:49:50 pm »

Sorry... That's cheesy when people "game" the Digg system.  No thanks.

benn600

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 01:49:51 pm »

Don't you think a lot of the homepage stories are gotten to the homepage by questionable means?  Funny how certain people are much more likely to get homepage links.

I know they have a lot of trouble with people "gaming" the system and as soon as someone does, you have no choice but to play along.

Besides: I personally don't think that's gaming the system AT ALL!  50 unique people from around the world digging it by choice!  I bet 50 people would absolutely be willing to digg a story!  If you use zombied computers then you're gaming the system.  But not unique people doing so by choice...with a kind request by a central cause.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 02:46:15 pm »

I know they have a lot of trouble with people "gaming" the system and as soon as someone does, you have no choice but to play along.

Besides: I personally don't think that's gaming the system AT ALL!  50 unique people from around the world digging it by choice!  I bet 50 people would absolutely be willing to digg a story!  If you use zombied computers then you're gaming the system.  But not unique people doing so by choice...with a kind request by a central cause.

I understand how you feel, but... I think designating a certain time and place and a centralized effort is cheesy.  That's me.  You're certainly welcome to your own opinion.

But, I do have a choice.  To not play along.  That is one of the biggest reasons why I don't really visit Digg much (and certainly not the "top stories" -- I prefer to browse the lower tiers of votes).  So much of it is obviously done with an agenda.  I'm not interested.

benn600

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 03:22:18 pm »

I have trouble with Digg.  For one thing, if I go to the upcoming stories area, pretty much every story has 1-5 diggs.  If I keep going forward, they seem to have 5 or fewer diggs!  Where are the ones that are --just ALMOST there-- with maybe 15 or 25 diggs?  Their scheme for promoting stories is very strange and tough to figure out.  Then, some stories get to the homepage with fewer diggs--which I'm sure is relative to time--but it's just confusing.

Non-digg fans would not be willing to participate anyway.  Everyone digging an article would have to be concentrated to a shorter period of time or they do nothing.  It seems that if a story doesn't get to the homepage it essentially gets next to no traffic or ranking by users.  The homepage is where its at.

Getting to the homepage would probably bring almost any web server down, too, so some preparation would probably need to be done.  I'm sure it would have brought Gift Pathways down had I got to the homepage.  I mean I'm running it on my residential one megabit up DSL connection!  Most popular servers/farms have 20-100 megabit connections.
Pages: [1]   Go Up