INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Podcasts, Web media, YouTube channels (new feature)  (Read 1889 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Podcasts, Web media, YouTube channels (new feature)
« on: December 11, 2007, 06:28:17 pm »

We're toying with the idea of allowing a web media site like YouTube to be used like a podcast.

You'd be able to subscribe to a search like "Minnesota Vikings" and have it keep videos around for you to watch or have them sync to a device.  You'd be able to press "Play" to just watch it like a TV channel.

However, we're not sure how Podcasting, Web Media, and YouTube channels come together. 

Could or should web media and podcasting be merged?  Which deserves greater prominance in the program?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: Podcasts, Web media, YouTube channels
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 06:55:18 pm »

Interesting Idea.

I think Web Media, And Pod-casts Like "News" Or "Educational Feeds" Like Discovery, NASA, CNN, Fox News, Court TV, Etc... Would Be Important To Me, Maybe More If I can Keep Updated On A Defined Subject.

Not Sure The "Minnesota Vikings" Would Qualify For Me, Since The Only Sports I Participated In Since High School Was Playing "When You Say Bud" Tune On My Trumpet Back In The Early 70's. My Tivo Has Been Programed To By-Pass All ESPN Channels.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 07:56:08 pm »

Seems like a great idea to me.  I think incorporating smartlist like rules would be good, i.e. not downloading files over under a certain size, deleting others that haven't been viewed or were downloaded a while ago, bitrate, etc...

Otherwise I'll just go and find the videos I want manually!
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

jgreen

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 12:10:38 am »

Tell me if I'm off track here, but would this capability allow the subscribed media to be downloaded per a schedule?  Say I wanted each and every new video from the Daily show.  Any chance I would be able to schedule this to occur while I'm sleeping?  I mean sleeping at night, not sleeping at my desk.

dcwebman

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 07:26:48 am »

I haven't used the Web Media stuff too much so I just checked out the different types. Podcasting is still much more important to me. If I wanted to go to YouTube or wherever, I'll probably use my Firefox browser.
Jeff

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 09:32:13 am »

Say I wanted each and every new video from the Daily show.  Any chance I would be able to schedule this to occur while I'm sleeping?  I mean sleeping at night, not sleeping at my desk.
(Children, don't try this at home.)

Build 390

Podcasts, add a new feed

Feed Name -- Daily Show

Feed URL -- Youtube: jon stewart

Kiss the rest of your day goodbye.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 09:42:29 am »

With build 393 or higher, try this:

Podcasts, add a new feed

Feed Name -- Disney Trailers
Feed URL -- Youtube: Disney trailer

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Podcasts, Web media, YouTube channels (new feature)
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 08:54:50 am »

We think the Youtube change leads somewhere interesting.  Please help us decide where.

I think we could set up channels that work like TV channels.  Matt has implemented them as podcasts (see my last two posts).

dcwebman

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 08:34:37 am »

I tried the Disney Trailer example. Pretty cool. Then I decided to modify the same feed to do a different Youtube search. For some reason it still had the Disney trailers displayed within the new results.
Jeff

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 08:40:12 am »

I tried the Disney Trailer example. Pretty cool. Then I decided to modify the same feed to do a different Youtube search. For some reason it still had the Disney trailers displayed within the new results.
Thanks.  Could be a bug.

Berg

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 09:53:37 am »

Very interesting idea !

I see podcasts (the future of "broadcasting") to be more valuable than web media such as YouTube, but creating your own custom "feed" of web media is a good idea.

Using the Jon Stewart example, I think the future is that the Daily Show will "broadcast" as a podcast instead of pushing content on YouTube. YouTube is a community content source, not a "broadcaster", but that's just my view and I am already a generation or two behind the future of content.  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up