INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NiMH Batteries: Good THEN Bad  (Read 2712 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
NiMH Batteries: Good THEN Bad
« on: December 20, 2007, 12:00:59 am »

I started using NiMH batteries several years ago when I got my wireless keyboard and mouse.  I got the Energizer 4 AA + 1 hour charger pack from Sams.  Then, that same year I got another 12 or so batteries for Christmas.  They were working flawlessly and amazingly in everything I used them in.  Unfortunately, things have started going downhill.

Just a short while ago my uncle was complaining how they are garbage.  I couldn't stop denying every word he said.  They worked so well for me.  I now use a slow charger because it charges double the batteries and also charges AAA (and more that my 1-hour didn't).  Plus, they are supposed to be better on the batteries.

I also purchased about 30 Lenmar AAs and another 30 or so AAAs.  They seemed to last even longer and work better yet!  They were rated to larger capacity, too.

So now we have 6+ wireless keyboard/mice combos (most are Logitech optical/laser) throughout the house, most used on a daily basis.  I also use the batteries in my Sony universal remote, portable speakers, and lots of other things.  I am starting to notice major issues.  Suddenly, I am seeing the batteries not lasting 3+ months in the wireless combos.  I can't quote the 3+ month estimate but I know they lasted a very long time and I hardly ever had to change them.  Now I am seeing 3 days in some cases!

So is it possible that they are starting to wear out?  Surprisingly enough, the Lenmar batteries seem to last longer.  So perhaps the Engergizer batteries are in fact getting older.  But occasionally the Energizer batteries will last a decent length of time--so maybe some are getting bad.  Is there a way to test them?  Maybe a handful is going bad and I am always using a good + bad battery?

I will probably get a bunch of new batteries for Christmas but I need to solve this issue--either find the problem or recycle the problematic batteries.  The batteries are most definitely 2-5 years old!  Wow, that's a long time!  I wouldn't be surprised if they're going bad but what's the procedure for proving this, etc.

Thanks!

Craig

• MC Beta Team
Re: NiMH Batteries: Good THEN Bad
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 03:50:21 am »

Rechargeables aren't really intended for low drain applications like mice and keyboards because they self discharge over time, they are much better for high current devices like flashguns.

That said, they do deteriorate over time, you can sometimes resurrect them by putting a high current through them but In your case you'd be better off binning the lot of them and getting some new ones. Capacities are increasing all the time, the last ones I got were 2700mAH, I'd be surprised if yours are half that if you've had them a few years.

Craig
MC2Slim - Windows Shell and JRiver Media Center Integration for Squeezebox.

http://www.duff-zapp.co.uk

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 05:33:59 am »

All Batteries deteriorate over time no matter what they are made of.

Newer Lithium Rechargeables Do Much Better Than NIMH
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

benn600

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 08:01:09 am »

The older ones are 1850 but I have some 2500s and I think the Lenmars are 2700.  Yea, like I said it has been 3 or so years so I wouldn't be surprised if they're dead.

I don't care if they are not intended for low drain devices--combos are exactly what I need them for.  And they worked great for a long time!

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 02:41:48 pm »

Just slightly off topic, but still relevant I hope, I too am looking for some rechargeables for a wireless mouse, and these look like the greatest idea ever. However good or bad they turn out to be. They are on my Christmas list.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 04:58:02 pm »

Here is a nice FAQ on NiMH bats - like all they will eventually die....

http://4gdo.com/batfaq.htm
JRiver CEO Elect

benn600

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 05:30:33 pm »

That seems like a horrible idea!  Sorry but I love saying that.

Honestly, you're losing 40% of the battery to a usb plug.  Plus, then you need several USB ports just to charge your batteries.  My combo requires 4 batteries but one we have requires 6.  That's 6 USB ports!  Better get a hub...and I bet two wont sit next to eachother.

Sorry but that's not for me.

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 11:24:03 am »

Benn

Fair point. I want some to carry around for my laptop mouse. Only 2 batteries required. They seem ideal for this even if they are underpowered - no lugging a charger around. But we'll see. Anyway I still think they are clever piece of thinking.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 01:00:09 pm »

Rechargeable batteries using a 'solid/paste' chemistry are good for about 1000 charge/discharge cycles.  And if you are not very very careful and occasionally fully discharge/charge your batts (conditioning), you will shorten this life by quite a lot.  And if you keep cells in a charger, even a smart trickle charger, you are again killing the useful life of the batteries.

"They say" that advanced NiCd, Nimh, and LiIon batts do not require occasional conditioning cycles.   Lots of people have found that this is still a good idea even with current technology batteries.  I run condition cycles on my AA batteries (MaHa and Sanyo Indstrial brands) about once a quarter, but then again I'm probably discharging/charging them a couple of times a week during my busy seasons.

I have 4 'www.digitalcamerabattery.com' units to run my field photo gear (adventure and extreme sports photography).  I send them back to the factory on a 24-30 month cycle to get the cells replaced.  On a smaller scale, that is what you have to do with rechargeable AA cells.  Replace them about every 18-24 months.

Or just keep an eye out for the Duracell 30 packs.  I can buy a 30 pack of AA cells on sale for about the same price as a set of 4 rechargeable AA cells.  And I'll get longer life (time between recharges) out of the Duracells.  If I keep the Duracells in the fridge, they will last almost forever (full chrge) and be ready whenever I need a set (no waiting for the recharger).  Home Depot and other stores always has a battery recycling bin available for both alkaline and rechargeable cells.

Yes, I use both rechargeable and disposable batteries.  But I use them for what they do best.  And nothing beats a bag full of fresh disposable batteries (or being able to run to any store on the planet to buy some) when your rechargables go dead.

benn600

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 11:06:22 am »

Well, I do keep 4 AA and 4 AAA batteries in my charger but I often find that if I don't use them after a short while, they seem to start losing charge--so it's as if once they're charged, it does not apply any more power to them at all.  So I often release and reset the charging metal to keep them boosted.  At this rate I'm going through them quickly because of these drain issues.  We use quite a few batteries and I'd say they would only sit in the charger for a week or so before I use them.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 09:38:40 pm »

I'll still bet that you will get 2-4x greater 'life' out of disposable and if you shop wisely, your per-cell cost will be lower too.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 12:13:24 am »

I often find that if I don't use them after a short while, they seem to start losing charge

Rechargeable batteries will slowly lose their charge while sitting unused.  I prefer to use them in my flashes just from a waste standpoint (avoiding burning needlessly through alkaline batteries), but I always keep a set of alkaline batteries around just in case.  Never know when you unexpectedly need them, and it always seems to happen when the rechargeables are mostly dead.
Thinking about buying one of these: 
http://www.amazon.com/Maha-MH-C808M-Ultimate-Professional-Charger/dp/tech-data/B000E65DG6/ref=de_a_smtd
It will slow charge, fast charge, or condition the batteries as needed.  The display will also give you a clue to the overall health of the batteries.  Plus it will charge enough batteries for 2 SB-800s with the extra battery compartement (10 total).  My current chargers only do 4 at a time which is not enough for one 5-battery flash.
Pages: [1]   Go Up