INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vista RC SP1 to fix poor network performace - good for MC12  (Read 2328 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Vista RC SP1 to fix poor network performace - good for MC12
« on: December 20, 2007, 06:07:07 pm »

FYI - MS have released their RC for Vista SP1 (http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsvista/en/library/005f921e-f706-401e-abb5-eec42ea0a03e1033.mspx?mfr=true) for MC12 users you may be pleased to know that it apparently fixes the throttled network performance (especially noticeable over Gigabit LANS) caused by Vista's MMCSS (Multimedia Class Scheduling Service).

Improves performance over Windows Vista’s current performance across the following scenarios1:
•   25% faster when copying files locally on the same disk on the same machine
•   45% faster when copying files from a remote non-Windows Vista system to a SP1 system
•   50% faster when copying files from a remote SP1 system to a local SP1 system
JRiver CEO Elect

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Vista RC SP1 to fix poor network performace - good for MC12
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 06:27:24 pm »

Holy Macro!  I may go back to Vista on my server and drop 2K3 Server because of my poor drive performance on W2K3 Server.  That is only if this fixes the UPnP server issues with the MP101.  I bet it will!  I hope it will!  I will be out of control if it does!

25% faster between local disks?  I was happy with 400MB/sec but OK!  And 45% faster for XP to Vista?  I was really pleased with the speed I was getting but it had some issues if multiple users used it simultaneously.

Anyone trying this?  When will it be released?  I'm going to hold my breath!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 06:40:46 pm »

It's out, you can apparently get it via the Update services or as a download....
JRiver CEO Elect

benn600

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 07:53:18 pm »

But it's a release candidate.  Switching means backing up tons of data, hoping like heck I don't have major problems, and all my network services being down for probably a day or so.  Not to mention if it doesn't work properly quickly trying to switch back.

Is it possible to install the upgrade without having installed XP first?  If I could get the OS back on a RAID5 drive (abandoned it due to hardware difficulties with W2K3 Server), MC streaming working again, regain my RAID speed, and heighten network access/fix network slowness problems it would be a blissful network experience.  Funny how when things just work I can spend my time working on NEW projects and not trying to solve stupid issues.

rjm

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 03:04:04 am »

It will be fine. They would not have released it to the public if the risk was high. I am going to wait for the final because my system is working great already and because you have to uninstall the RC before installing the final. And get this, they strongly recommend waiting "at least one hour" after the uninstall completes before installing the final so that the system has time to stabilize. Yikes...

Jean-Max

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 04:35:22 am »

I am going to wait for the final

Do you know the expected date for the final version ?

Jean-Max

rjm

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 09:29:48 am »

I have not seen an official release date, and it will probably depend on RC test results, but my guess is late January.

benn600

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 09:56:05 am »

And get this, they strongly recommend waiting "at least one hour" after the uninstall completes before installing the final so that the system has time to stabilize. Yikes...

Vista has to recover from all the fixes and regain its unstable existence.

I'm seriously starting to look at building another server.  Not right away, no way, but I am starting to look around and think a bit.  One disadvantage to building a big server is that I can't ever go backwards.  So I'm essentially starting at 24 hot-swappable bays now.  And I have to get a higher-class motherboard/RAID card to hopefully eliminate the crazy problems I see (slowdowns on W2K3 Server).  Drives are so cheap now!  I'm sure a different server wouldn't have the slowdown problem.

Jean-Max

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 10:09:58 am »

I'm seriously starting to look at building another server. 

Try WHS !

I answered you here, about my (recent) WHS experience

You wrote : "slowdowns on W2K3 Server)"
On WHS (based on W2K3 Server), I didn't notice this kind of problem .. (at this time..)

Jean-Max

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 04:17:09 pm »

For anyone following this issues, there's a new article with some benchmarks at andantech. Here's some relevant info:

Another significant fix appearing in SP1 is a partial resolution to the conflict between the MultiMedia Class Scheduler Service and networking....
For SP1 we were hoping for a complete overhaul of the MMCSS so that it ceased adversely affecting network performance, unfortunately what we’re getting is something about mid-way towards that. With SP1 it is now possible to control the amount of network throttling that MMCSS does...there’s no GUI component (or real documentation) for this tweak, so users will be left to directly modifying the registry, a very uninviting situation....
For what it’s worth, we did inadvertently discover that the MMCSS throttling process doesn’t engage when audio streams are using APIs other than WaveOut and DirectSound (i.e. aren’t directly routed through the user-mode audio stack). OpenAL and ASIO do not trigger throttling, which means it’s possible to have both unthrottled networking and proper multimedia playback under Vista, as long as there’s hardware present that can deal with these APIs.

Sure hope those Vista drivers keep coming for you ASIO users...
brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up