INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater view style thumbnails in standard view  (Read 1518 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Theater view style thumbnails in standard view
« on: December 09, 2007, 01:21:14 am »

I do all my image and video browsing with thumbnails but cant read about 90% of the titles because they are too long. It'd be nice if the text part of the thumbnail were one more line, like in theater view. Or customizable. I'm assuming that it's not so at the moment. Sorry if I'm wrong.

raym

• MC Beta Team
Re: Theater view style thumbnails in standard view
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 06:05:15 pm »

I think you are correct.

At the risk of going OT a bit, I actually wish you could set the Theater View text part of the thumbs to NOT wrap onto multiple lines. The way the thumbs get resized as the text wraps looks odd in my opinion. Lineup and list views are for text-based navigation. Thumbnail views should be as big and as visually pleasing as possible. 
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 07:27:58 am »

I do all my image and video browsing with thumbnails but cant read about 90% of the titles because they are too long. It'd be nice if the text part of the thumbnail were one more line, like in theater view. Or customizable. I'm assuming that it's not so at the moment. Sorry if I'm wrong.

It can be done now. Just put the expression over two or more lines. One example (supposed to be 2 lines):

Code: [Select]
If(IsEqual([Media Type], Audio),[Name] - [Artist] - /([Album]/)   //  Rating: [Rating],If(IsEqual([Video Type],Series),If(IsEmpty([Name]),S[Season]E[Episode]/ (NP:[Number Plays]/),S[Season]E[Episode]/ (NP:[Number Plays]/)
[Name]),If(IsEqual([Video Type], Music Videos),[Artist] - [Name],If(IsEqual([Video Type], Conserts),[Artist] - [Name],Unknown))))

At the risk of going OT a bit, I actually wish you could set the Theater View text part of the thumbs to NOT wrap onto multiple lines. The way the thumbs get resized as the text wraps looks odd in my opinion. Lineup and list views are for text-based navigation. Thumbnail views should be as big and as visually pleasing as possible.

I was just thinking the same thing yesterday. It looks very bad..
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 06:28:15 pm »

I was just thinking the same thing yesterday. It looks very bad..

Oh, so it's not just me  ;)

JRiver, any chance of making the text wrapping configurable please?
Z-Wave Home Automation

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 07:55:01 pm »

JRiver, any chance of making the text wrapping configurable please?

But it was added by popular demand.

You can set the File Caption to empty in Options > Theater View
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 08:01:03 pm »

I support the desire to have smaller text/not wrap in theater view.  I want very large thumbnails and small text (relative to their current sizes the thumbnails are too small for my taste).

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 01:38:21 am »

Would it not be possible to make the capion function as in standard view? So ppl that want text over two or more lines just spread the caption text to more lines?
I think I tried that; to have Season, episode and number plays on one line and the Name on another.
It's possible, but it does not behave exactly like standard view. If I remember correct the two lines had abnorm spacing between them if the caption text/code was spread on several lines.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 05:14:54 am »

Err, it seems that I'm the only one thinking that theater view is perfect and wanting the same thing in standard view.

How about an option in customize current view to decide a "blanket rule" number or lines for text in thumbnails. Then all thumbnails would align and look tidy. People who dont want text, or much text, could set it to one, and people like me who want to be able to read the whole [name] would be able to do so without having to resort to adding multi-line expressions. (actually even adding an expression accross two lines wouldnt solve my problem. I just want the name to wrap accross lines, not extra fields)

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 06:08:24 am »

(actually even adding an expression accross two lines wouldnt solve my problem. I just want the name to wrap accross lines, not extra fields)

I get that.

What I don't get is why we can't set the Theater View text to anything else than size 12? It would save alot of space, and show much more text if we could set it at, let's say, size 8. I understand that bigger size than 12 might screw up the coordinates of the xml TV borders and stuff, and make the view ugly. But why would it hurt to be able to set the text smaller? Even though the boxes surronding the text might not get smaller, so would the text, and we could see more of it.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 11:50:31 pm »

But it was added by popular demand.

Hmm... I must've missed the discussion on this  :(

You can set the File Caption to empty in Options > Theater View

Yep, but this only affects the captions in a view's final "file" level (and playlists).

I like this idea:

How about an option in customize current view to decide a "blanket rule" number or lines for text in thumbnails. Then all thumbnails would align and look tidy. People who dont want text, or much text, could set it to one, and people like me who want to be able to read the whole [name] would be able to do so without having to resort to adding multi-line expressions.

Cheers.
Z-Wave Home Automation
Pages: [1]   Go Up