INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Questions  (Read 751 times)

khaos10

Some Questions
« on: August 10, 2002, 11:29:53 pm »

1. I rip into APE format at Extra High quality. I've noticed more songs than I like having skipping/repeating issues. I can always re-rip, but the number of problems seems a little high. Actually I've ripped all of my 270|PLS| CDs already and have been noticing this. I have the copy mode set at Digital High Buffer and speed at Max. With my older Pioneer DVD ROM the Max speed is usually around 11x. Any suggestions for future rips of newly purchased CDs?

2. I was under the impression that during ripping if I chose Normalize, the sound volume would be equalized for all the songs. I take it that it meant just for that CD and not compared to other ripped CDs? There is a noticable difference. I now have been using the Analyze Replay Gain function to combat this, but I've been getting lock ups and an occassional BSOD with it. Has anyone else encountered problems like this with Analyze Replay Gain?

3. If I create a songlist and then convert it back to wav format while making sure the normalized feature is checked and then burn it to CDR, will all the songs play at the same volume level from the CD in my car, or does this feaure only work in playback with MJ?

4. What do I need to create my own style of Track Info screen?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:Some Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2002, 11:35:18 pm »

Hi khaos100,

1) Don't use APE "extra high" --- it's very, very slow for little gain.  (10 times slower, saves $3 worth of HD space) I'd recommend "normal".  The clicks are probably because APE "extra high" encoding is sucking too much juice.  Also, I'd recommend "Digital Secure" ripping.  It's slow, but you get the assurance of a perfect rip. (or at least a report if there were problems)

2) Don't normalize your APE files.  Replay Gain is tons better than normalization, and it doesn't mess with the bit-perfect nature of the APE file.  About the hanging, please ugrade to the latest MJ 8. (available on Interact)  Also, could be a hardware thing.

3) Normalization doesn't make songs sound the same volume.  You need Replay Gain for that.  To burn with Replay Gain, you need to use the Disk Writer.  Search the forums for "Disk Writer" to get more details.

4) Any HTML editor

Take care.

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

khaos10

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2002, 12:11:24 am »

Let me make sure I get this right.

1. I only change playback to disk writer when I want to burn to CD, because it will always copy files to a specified directory? Do I reconvert to wav first and then analyse again before playback using disk writer?

2. Since I'm using APE, throw normalizing out completely? Do you recommend I take the time to re-rip everthing without norm., using digital secure, and at normal quality?

3. I'm using version 8.0.336
While it can always be hardware related, I'm not confident on that. This PC runs some hefty things in PhotoShop and Lightwave with no problems at all. I'll list the system info below.

Thanks for the quick answer. I'm still learning but I think the product is a value for the price.

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.336
Install Path: D:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: AMD Athlon 1528 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 335 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 2 (Build 2195)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4704.1100
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.4718
wnaspi32.dll: 4.70 , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2001 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: 4.7

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2002, 05:53:22 am »

1) If you use Disk Writer with Replay Gain on, the outputted WAV files will be Replay Gain'ed.  No need to do anything else.

2) It just depends how anal you are.  For most modern music, normalization will have been skipped anyway because it's peak level is already like 100%.  I can't say about re-ripping, but definately turn off normalization of APE files for future rips.

Take care.

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up