INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does rew/ff work in uPnP streaming?  (Read 1390 times)

ccr

• Recent member
Does rew/ff work in uPnP streaming?
« on: December 30, 2007, 06:54:34 pm »

Hi,

Can someone tell me whether or not rewind/forward under uPnP streams has been implemented?  I'm using MC12.0.403 with archos 605 wifi, and I couldn't rewind or forward audio/video tracks using MC.  The rew/ff feature on the device works with Windows Media Player 11 media server.

Thanks!

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Does rew/ff work in uPnP streaming?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 08:27:22 pm »

I don't believe there's an official way of implementing FF/RW. It's going to depend on the device's implementation and how it tries to do it.

What happens when you try?

j

ccr

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 02:18:58 am »

Under music playing:  I can slide Archos' seek bar back and forth and music pauses when I do that.  But the moment I release the bar, the music continues from where it left off.  The << and >> buttons won't respond at all.   FF/REW does not work whether I stream with or without audio conversion.

Under video playing:  Neither the ff/rew buttons nor the seek bar responds when I click them, as if they were disabled.

I also tested ff/rew using TVersity+Archos.  Seeking worked on non-transcoded video and audio streams.  (I didn't test TVersity's transcoded streams because I couldn't even get TVersity's transcoding to work at all under my Archos...)

Would it be possible to at least make seeking work when tracks are streamed without on-the-fly transcoding? 

MP101User

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 03:00:44 am »

Thought I'd add my experiences in this field...

On the MP101, music ff and rew works exactly as expected. This is on mostly transcoded tracks (from WMA to MP3).
On my XBox MC, no ff or rew is possible (mostly .avi files). Using the same server to feed both.

M.

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 10:17:12 am »

If you'll make a network sniff of the archos traffic when seeking and send it to me, I'll take a look.
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Sharing_Plug-in_Debugging_Hints
gateley @ jriver.com

j

Robo983

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 11:54:25 am »

I'll add my two bits also, I had many a painful experience with this and I believe it is as said that it relates to the UPnP device not the server. I say that it isn't the server but some servers transcode to a format that FF/RW is supported on your UPnP box. I tried about every DLink version out there and bought a Dual core to transcode to formats it supported and finally gave up....a modified XBOX with Xbox Media Center fixed all my problems....I haven't tried Video with MC UPnP though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up