INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "False" overflow when syncing and transcoding  (Read 1342 times)

MP101User

• Junior Woodchuck
"False" overflow when syncing and transcoding
« on: December 31, 2007, 06:58:58 am »

Thought I'd start a separate topic since this isn't really limited to whatever a "Jonas" is (see original thread here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=42437.msg299935#msg299935 ).

I sync my audio files to an SD card that is used in my Palm Pilot. They need to be transcoded from WMA lossless to a smaller/lower quality format - I've been using 128 WMA for now.

However, whenever I start to sync, MC12 notes that I am trying to sync too many items and offers to cut the list down so that everything fits on. Upon syncing I can see that the SD card is far from full, and MC could have fitted my original selection on.

What are my options here, if I want to get more music on the card?

Thanks,

M.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: "False" overflow when syncing and transcoding
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 08:53:58 am »

Since lossless compression is VBR, Media Center guesses at a bitrate of 750 for the converted files.  This could vary from the actual results.

In this case, you may need to do a sync using two smaller transfers to fill the device.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MP101User

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 08:11:25 am »

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'll do a couple of syncs to a folder on the hard drive somewhere and then manually move over the files that I can. This is workable for me.

Be nice if MC12 would keep adding files until one doesn't fit and then stop (perhaps a "until destination is full" option in sync options)...

Anyway, thanks for clarifying.

M.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 08:30:10 am »

I think Matt missed this:

... transcoded from WMA lossless to a smaller/lower quality format - I've been using 128 WMA for now.

Surely MC should be aware that "128 WMA" produces 128 kbps files.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MP101User

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 12:19:59 pm »

I'm syncing via an intermediate "dump" for now. It's OK.

Good point by Alex above though. Can you clarify Matt, did you mean MC guesses at the bitrate for the "converted" files as you wrote? Seems odd as I am converting to a fixed bitrate.

M.
Pages: [1]   Go Up