INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Degraded RAID6 faster than normal  (Read 1762 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Degraded RAID6 faster than normal
« on: December 31, 2007, 04:39:21 pm »

During my Windows Home Server testing, by coincidence my RAID array entered a degraded state when one drive failed (RAID6).  I tested its speed and got 100MB/sec duplication rate (so 200MB/sec + overall).

Before, when I tested it under W2K3 server in its online state, I got about 1/4th that speed.  But worse yet, in WHS after the rebuild process finished, I got almost identical speeds to that which I got under W2K3 server.

SO: in a degraded state, I get acceptable drive speeds while in its fully online state, I get horrible speeds!  So how is this possible?  Something is not right!  I'm mainly talking about reading speeds, too.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: Degraded RAID6 faster than normal
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 05:09:59 pm »

Could That Mean A Drive In The Array Is Bad?

I have seen that before.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

benn600

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 06:28:21 pm »

I'm taking some other people's advice (sort of) and swapping motherboards.  In terror, I carefully swapped the motherboard with a very slightly older motherboard.  It actually has a faster Core 2 Duo processor and still 2GB DDR2 memory but is the smaller ATX size, so it may be a lower end board overall.  But at least it will eliminate the motherboard.  So I'm installing W2K3 Server Enterprise 64 bit edition and hoping I don't have to call in for an activation code because I then have to read that long code and listen to their code.  Of course I won't worry about activation until I see if the different motherboard fixes the problem.

benn600

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 07:26:33 pm »

Just installed W2K3 Server Enterprise and of course, it did not activate.  So I'll have to call Microsoft at some point.  Anyone know what happens after the 30 days?  I've never waited that long.  If it's running does it just shut off?

But it appears I'm getting slow data rates still.  I'm installing SP2 and will follow up with updates.  But I have most everything installed and configured other than that.  Weird thing is that when the install wanted to reboot, it would shut the computer off!  And I could only turn it back on by turning the PSU off and then on...and it would automatically turn on a second later.  The last motherboard would reboot but then hang before starting up.

I seem to have every possible (and impossible) problem that exists!

At least no data loss so far (knock on wood).

benn600

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 08:15:54 pm »

At least the last time I rebooted (from the OS) it actually rebooted.  So it may just be something strange in the non-OS workings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up