INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming TV over the network  (Read 12662 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Streaming TV over the network
« on: January 02, 2008, 08:23:04 pm »

I heard some discussion a while back leading me to believe MC may eventually have streaming TV capability.  The way I see it: why not have two (or 3, 4, etc.) tuners in the server and then have MC running and stream the video to client machines?

So instead of two tuners in 5 HTPCs, you would have 4 tuners in the server.  It would be cost effective and everyone in the house would share the tuners for watching and recording TV.  If you wanted, you could add another tuner.  Oh yea, and you could theoretically watch your home TV from anywhere over the internet (with conversion).  And the server would do all the recording so media files would be accessible from any client.

At this point, I'd like the TV item (theater view) to list recorded shows + live channels + tuner info...perhaps just a list of the tuners and what they're each doing.  Tuner 1 recording Lost, Tuner 2 recording Family Guy, Tuner 3 Playing Local News, Tuner 4 AVAILABLE.  How amazing would that be?  The more server oriented stuff the BETTER!

I'd even consider a dedicated box (2nd server) just for this task.  I know it could take a ton of processing if the video was encoded.  Or perhaps it would just be sent in original, digital form from the tuner over the network to the client.

chirpp

• World Citizen
Re: Streaming TV over the network
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 12:22:12 pm »

Ben, did you ever find a solution for this?  This is what I was hoping was thoping for as well, but it appears you need a tuner in every pc. 

Just curious.

morrison

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 12:13:09 pm »

I think I know few solutions for TV sharing. Its VideoLAN (GNU GPL) streaming solution and proprietary software ProgDVB- very flexible digital TV solution. Also some of over htpc software has this function..

I would be happy if the MC appear similar functions

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 12:38:47 pm »

You can use Library server to watch recorded TV on another PC.

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 09:41:44 pm »

I understand that part Jim, and think that would be nice.  However, I am thinking it would be nice to have a pc in the kitchen that we can watch live tv on while making dinner. Or to have a pc in another room to catch a show on. I don't want cables to these locations, but would like to just watch when it is convenient.  Not that a pc is better that a nice flat screen but I already own the pc's/laptops, so to me it seems logical to get tv to them is I can.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 06:28:29 pm »

I understand that part Jim, and think that would be nice.  However, I am thinking it would be nice to have a pc in the kitchen that we can watch live tv on while making dinner. Or to have a pc in another room to catch a show on. I don't want cables to these locations, but would like to just watch when it is convenient.  Not that a pc is better that a nice flat screen but I already own the pc's/laptops, so to me it seems logical to get tv to them is I can.

In order to stream from Library Server, the server must be tuned to a TV channel and be running in time-shifting mode.  The easiest way to achieve that is actually start recording the channel on the server.  Once recording is started, the server imports the *.jtv file immediately.  You can now play the file from a client, while the server keeps recording.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 09:57:37 pm »

with this method is it possible to use the client to change the channels, as if it was the machine with the tuner?

I want to be able to use a laptop in an office to watch live and/or recorded TV from the HTPC in the living room, which has dual digital tuners.

Using the library server would be fine if I had control, but if I can't control the channel/guide, how else might this be done? 

Going out to the HTPC is not an option as the "monitor" for that machine is actually the living room tv, and may also be in use at the time.
pretend this is something funny

benn600

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 12:32:57 pm »

I now use hdHomeRun which gives me housewide television as a network resource.  I don't think using TV directly over library server is very usable yet.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 12:43:21 pm »

I don't think using TV directly over library server is very usable yet.
The last time I checked, it worked.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 06:47:05 pm »

The last time I checked, it worked.

Television recorded with Media Center plays great over a network or Library Server.

I use this feature every day on a marginally-fast-enough wirelesss connection.  There's a lot of smarts in the television engine to nicely buffer for network play.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 03:07:04 am »

Matt, can I assume this is only for recorded shows/events, and does not include live TV watching from a client machine?

if correct, do you think there will be a time with live, remote (same internal network) watching is possible with MC?

cncb

• MC Beta Team
Deleting with Library Server
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 03:21:37 pm »

Is it currently possible to delete recorded programs from the Library after you watch them via Library Server?
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 03:08:24 pm »

I am testing the library server method to watch recorded shows. While at home I can attach and view no issue. While at work I can connected but cannot watch the recorded show. (same one I watched while connected locally).

Media Center encountered errors while trying to play the last several files.  DirectShow: The Media type of this file is not recognized. Code 0x80040240.  This is the same workstation from home, with cccp installed, so I thought it should work.  I tried it outside of our work firewall as well, and still errors.

Library and remote versions are 14.0.121

Ideas?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 11:10:28 pm »

I get this same error when trying to play TV on a my laptop in my office connected to the library server.  I can see the shows, but playback gives the same error.

Yaobing gave me some tips, but they didn't work :(

Matt, can you explain what needs done for TV to work remotely?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 10:00:57 am »

Type the base folder of TV recordings in the Library Server's "Opt in" edit box - "To allow serving of files not in your library, type a semi-colon separated list of opt-in paths here:".

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 06:00:41 pm »

Type the base folder of TV recordings in the Library Server's "Opt in" edit box - "To allow serving of files not in your library, type a semi-colon separated list of opt-in paths here:".

thanks, but I have no idea what you're talking about.  I assume that you mean on the machine serving the library is where I should do this, but I don't recall ever seeing an "opt in" box.  Can you please be more specific as to where I can find this?

Also, can you please point me to some of the threads you've mentioned that AlexB has discussed this?

Finally, are there plans to integrate this a bit more?  This feels a bit more like "hacking" MC than "using" MC.

ideally, when connecting to a library server, the recorded programs would just show up and work :)

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 06:21:27 pm »

thanks, but I have no idea what you're talking about.  I assume that you mean on the machine serving the library is where I should do this, but I don't recall ever seeing an "opt in" box.  Can you please be more specific as to where I can find this?

Yes, on the machine where Library Server is running.  Services & Plug-ins > Library Server.  Click Options button.  There is an edit box near the bottom of the popup.

Finally, are there plans to integrate this a bit more?  This feels a bit more like "hacking" MC than "using" MC.

ideally, when connecting to a library server, the recorded programs would just show up and work :)

Library Server by default only serves files that are in the library for security reasons.  TV recordings and DVD rips are different in that a lot of other files need to be accessed.  You must actively type in your opt-ins to specifically allow certain files to be served.  This is not hacking.  This is "configuring".

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 07:22:15 pm »

Thanks, you (barely?) beat me to reply :)

I had just found the spot, and did as you said, and that worked, thanks.

I realize it's "configuring", but there are no instructions, and it's certainly not intuitive on how to do this, and a bit obscure in finding all the right parts to make it work; which is why I said it *felt* like hacking.

I know MC is constantly being updated and changed and configured and improved, which is awesome and appreciated.

My point was more that I'm hopeful that this can be made to work a bit more intuitively or naturally or automatically.

If I'm sharing my library, I would expect *all* of my library to be shared, without delving into so many places and making so many changes to access parts of it.

This is not a complaint, but more of an observation.  I'm very happy that this works now, I just wish it wasn't quite so difficult, or at least there were some instructions to help out.

With that being said; I REALLY appreciate you helping me with this "after hours."

Maybe you can get live TV working via the library server (or some other method) to a client machine soon, so we can use the dual tuners we have on the server via our laptops :)

Here's to hoping  8)

benn600

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 03:24:56 am »

Does this mean DVDs can be streamed over library server with this "configuration?"  Excuse me, I meant hacking.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 10:22:51 am »

Does this mean DVDs can be streamed over library server with this "configuration?"  Excuse me, I meant hacking.

No.

DVD can only be played through local drive (or mapped network drive, with "Play local file if one that matches Library Server file is found" turned on).  Even if the Library Server is configured to allow all files in DVD folders served, the DVD Navigator filter (which is Microsoft's) would not know where to request the files.

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 04:03:17 pm »

Yes, on the machine where Library Server is running.  Services & Plug-ins > Library Server.  Click Options button.  There is an edit box near the bottom of the popup.

Can you explain how to do this in the existing 15.171 version?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 09:09:48 am »

Can you explain how to do this in the existing 15.171 version?

Tools > Options > Media Network > Library Server > Advanced Server Settings > Additional share paths

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 11:05:09 am »

I guess I should have tried streaming before I asked. I do not have this value set on my server, and yet I was able to stream jtv remotely. However, it only showed 2 seconds of video, then video just hung and audio kept playing. 

Do I need to look at settings on server side? Or client side? or is this just not a good idea?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 12:22:56 pm »

Indeed "Additional share paths" setting is no longer needed for TV recordings.

I just checked, it works fine for me.  Make sure you have necessary DirectShow filters installed on the client machine.

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 01:44:18 pm »

On my home “server” JTV files play fine.  My option/File type/playback setting for .jtv files is automatic.  The Library server option, library client, video conversion is set to mpeg4 low BW. From what I read above this shouldn’t matter in the case of .jtv files.  My CCCP settings on the server side are the same as they are on my client side remotely.

On my client side at work, playback settings for .jtv are automatic as well.  So to me the settings appear to be the same.  Yes my video waits 10 seconds to play, then when it starts, it plays about 2 seconds of video, then plays only audio, then eventually comes up with “buffering” message. 

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2011, 02:31:19 pm »

What I meant was whether a jtv file located locally on the client machine works.  My tests were done on my LAN and not across the internet.  So I am not sure what is going on.  You can email me a log file.

yaobing at jriver dot com

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 04:01:24 pm »

OK I sent it. I can run this test on the same computer while at home, on the local lan if you want to see any differences. Just let me know.

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 03:06:49 pm »

After reviewing the logs, it appears my issue may be internet bandwidth related. I wish there was a way to compress it so this option can be used. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 03:54:01 pm »

We may be able to convert in the future.

dcpete

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2011, 08:20:41 pm »

Hmmn, this is close to what I want to do.  Now that Video streaming works pretty well to a PS3, I would like to be able to stream Live TV from MC to my PS3 through DLNA.  Is this being considered?  I don't have a tuner in my server, rather use a HomeRunHD off the network (which I love).  I would like to be able to standardize on one client (PS3) for my movie room.

Thanks, Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up