INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Find and Replace...  (Read 1403 times)

JohnM

• World Citizen
Find and Replace...
« on: December 29, 2007, 12:38:26 pm »

Hi!  How can I disable the move/copy functionality of the Find and Replace library tool when replacing drive letter (Filename(path)).
I have my files copied already and just want to change the drive letter in the library... MC wants to actually move my files from one drive to another but I don't want to do that...
Edit: Just upped to .403... This worked with the earlier build I had

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Find and Replace...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 12:10:46 am »

If the files have already been moved (externally), then MC will only change the drive letter as you wish.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

JohnM

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 03:00:51 am »

If the files have already been moved (externally), then MC will only change the drive letter as you wish.
Yes, must have been so. Our library has nearly 30000 files and MC replaced the drive letter nearly all of them. MC refused to replace the drive letter for 250 of the files. Reported some error (files does not exist, read only or in use) and wanted to replace the files (or not) one at a time. I had to click once for every file...
I would like to see a "Yes to all" and a "No to all" button here

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 10:50:50 am »

That is not what is happening for me. I'm still prompted to move every file.

Edit: It worked properly only AFTER I dismounted the drive where the copied files originally were. This should be better documented.
Sue

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 11:19:41 am »

MC prompts for a confirmation only in the beginning of the operation, not for each selected file separately.

For example, I have changed the library links of about 40000 files from D:\Music X:\ in a couple of minutes.

First I changed the base folder name from D:\Music\ to D:\Mus\ outside MC. I.e. I made the filename links inside the library broken. Then I substituted the D:\Mus\ path with the drive letter X: (using the Subst command in a startup bat file). Then I used the Find and Replace tool for changing all instance of D:\Music in the Filename (path) field to X:\. The last step took less than a minute or so because MC did the changes only in the database.

The purpose of this operation was to make the virtual X:\ base path valid on all PCs on the LAN so that the same library can be used on every PC. The other PCs have mapped the D:\Mus\ folder (which I have shared) with the drive letter X:.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 11:23:28 am »

Edit: It worked properly only AFTER I dismounted the drive where the copied files originally were. This should be better documented.

"Copy" is not the same as "move". Move means that the files don't exist in the old location after the move.  ;)

As said, an easy way to keep the files in the old location too is to temporally rename the base folder outside MC (...or, for example, disconnect an external drive as you did.)

EDIT

Another way to change the library is to use the MPL export/import system. You can export a complete library in the MPL playlist format, edit the resulting XML data with a text editor (e.g. use the editor's find and replace tool for changing a path) and use the edited MPL file for updating library data. I have explained this in detail a couple of times.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up