INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC crashes (shuts down)...no error when I play either AVI or MPG  (Read 1710 times)

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile

I've read here that there is a problem with AVI video and MC, but my MPGs won't play either.  The files are on a networked drive.  Would that make a difference.

I just downloaded and installed 12.0.403.  Very cool....expecially the Tivo server.  Please advise on what I can check on the video play problem.  Like I said, there's no error.  MC just stops and disappears.  I do get a warning about backing up, disabling plugins, etc. when I start it again.

Thanks

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: MC crashes (shuts down)...no error when I play either AVI or MPG
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 04:52:02 pm »

email me a log file. yaobing at jriver dot com
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

badger

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 11:52:46 am »

Thought I'd bump this.  Yaobing....did you get a chance to look at my log file?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 12:00:28 pm »

No yet. I will look at it, hopefully today.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 05:27:15 pm »

OK. I read your log file. It shows that DirectShow crashed when MC tries to start playing. There is no concrete info to indicate what the cause was. However, here are a few suggestions:

1. When you went to Video view, MC tried to build thumbnails for a few mpg files (including the file you tried to play). It seemed to be successful. Did you get thumbnails? The DirectShow graph that was used for thumbnailing is the same as the graph that was used for playing, except that it had no audio branch. Therefore my first suspicion is that your audio decoder filter caused the trouble. Go to Tools -> Options -> Playback -> DirectShow Playback Settings ... and find mpg in the list of file types played in DirectShow, on the right-side of the window. Select mpg (clicking it) in the list and click "Select Filters" button. Wait until the Select Filters window appears (it may take quite a few seconds). From the list that is labeled "Other filters", select an MPEG audio decoder other than "MPA Decoder Filter" (if you previously selected this, deselect it). Use FFDShow Audio decoder for example.

2. If that does not help, try deselect "JRiver Bitrate Monitor".

3. Try using a different MPEG Demultiplexer. In your case MC loaded "MainConcept MPEG Demultiplexer". If you select a different one, such as "MPEG-2 Demultiplexer" made by Microsoft, MC will use it instead of the MainConcept filter.

badger

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 06:13:53 pm »

Changed the MPEG audio filter to "MPEG audio decoder".  "FFDShow Audio decoder" does not show on my list (unless I missed it somewhere).  No difference after this change.

Unchecked the "JRiver bitrate monitor" and then some MPGs (short ones) did play with some gaps.  Then I got an error saying "MC had errors with the last several videos".  0x80004005.

Now when I go back to DirectShow Playback settings....select mpg and ......  select filters.  Only one is listed, the JRiver bitrate monitor and its unchecked.  I restarted MC and the filters showed up again.

Where do I go to change the MPEG demultiplexer?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 08:37:32 pm »

Where do I go to change the MPEG demultiplexer?

MPEG-2 Demultiplexer should be among the list of "Other Filters".

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 08:45:13 pm »

You do not have FFDShow filters because you have not installed it. Most users found it very helpful to install CCCP filter pack. Read more about it here.

badger

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 01:33:50 pm »

Thanks.  I found the MPEG demultiplexer and it seemed to help a little.  My AVIs still give an error most of the time.  I look into the CCCP filter and try that.

Question:  Why is it that MC wants to play all the videos in the folder.  I double click a video....it plays...and then the next one plays .... and so on until it gets to the end of the list.  I'd rather play one at a time.  Is this a setting option?
Pages: [1]   Go Up