INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to create nice cover art & artist/album based view schemes  (Read 7252 times)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
How to create nice cover art & artist/album based view schemes
« on: January 06, 2008, 01:32:59 pm »

I originally posted these instructions in this thread on the MC12 board.

I realized that the same info might be useful for MJ12 users too. Especially if they don't have previous experience of recent JRiver programs. The screenshots are from MC12, but MJ12 works exactly the same way.

You can easily configure MJ12 to show the view items as thumbnail images on the top split and the files included in the selection as a detailed list on the bottom.

In the following screenshot I have selected the [Album Artists (auto)] field in the top dropdown menu. I have clicked the "Björk" thumbnail stack to select it. The bottom list has changed to show only the "Björk" files.

Click to enlarge.

This the same view scheme after I have double-clicked the "Björk" item. It shows all "Björk" albums. I have selected the "Post" album and the bottom list shows only the tracks from this album. I can easily go back to the Album Artist display by pressing the back button. (= the small left arrow on the top left corner of the content pane. In addition, I have added the back and forward buttons on the top toolbar. Right-click the toolbar to edit.)

Click to enlarge.

Here is a special view that I like very much. It shows my albums in the date imported order. Just like a physical CD shelf would contain them if you always just add the new CDs without reordering them.

Click to enlarge.

The following screenshots give some hints about how I created this "CD shelf" view scheme.

I have created a new calculated library field using [Album Artist (auto)] - [Album] as the templete:
(custom fields can be created in Options > Library & Folders > User Library Fields)

-- and added that library field to the view items:

The view scheme is set to display this Album/Artist field as thumbnails and the "Always Show Files" option is enabled:

The sort order is set to "Date Imported":

The thumbnail text is customized in "Customize Current View":

(The slider on the top right corner can adjust the thumbnail size directly in the content pane so it is unnecessary to change the thumbnail size values in the Customize Current View window.)

The bottom list has separate options:

You can adjust the size of the bottom list simply by dragging the horizontal divider. A double-click on the divider will quickly open or close the bottom list.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

bprc

Re: How to create nice cover art & artist/album based view schemes
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 11:37:41 pm »

G'day mate. Quick question hopefully.

Quote from: Alex B
This the same view scheme after I have double-clicked the "Björk" item. It shows all "Björk" albums.

When I double click on the album stack all it does is remove the details down below, double click again and the details return. How do I make it so it shows all the albums? This view scheme looks great.

[edit]Sorry, this is for MC12 if that makes any difference[/edit]

Cheers,
Ben

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 05:59:29 pm »

It should work if you have the view scheme items configured in the preferred order. A double-click should open the next level.

The botton list (in the details mode) should show the files that are included in the top selection or if nothing is selected it should show all files that are included in the top view.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

bprc

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 03:24:57 pm »

Ahh you are correct  :-[

I'm still learning... obviously. I didn't have the Album in the view scheme, only the Album Artist. At least I finally understand how the view scheme works now!

Cheers
Ben

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 11:27:16 am »

From the MC12 board:
Thanks a lot! Alex B, I am not clear on what you put into step 4. Could you paste it so I can copy it?

In "Step 4" I have my personal rule for excluding unwanted files. It wouldn't work for you without having the same library structure and user fields. The most basic rule is to limit the view to audio: [Media Type]=[Audio]

As it is the auto - album custom user field did not get it working for me. I am also unclear if this will allow me to sort my first pane of albums by their import date instead of alphabetically.

Did you configure it as in this screenshot:

The text string in "Templete" must be exactly: [Album Artist (auto)] - [Album]

I don't use the the actual "Pane" mode with this view scheme. I use the "Artist/Album" thumbnail view instead. It is a flat view that shows all albums as separate thumbnails. The thumbnail sorting is "Date Imported". The option has changed slightly after I created the previous screenshot. You can find it from the presets. Here is a new screenshot:

The latest album is currently The Offspring's "Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace".

Jean-Max

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 08:06:33 am »

Alex B wrote:

You can easily configure MJ12 to show the view items as thumbnail images on the top split and the files included in the selection as a detailed list on the bottom.
.. some hints about how I created this "CD shelf" view scheme.
I have created a new calculated library field using [Album Artist (auto)] - [Album] as the template:
(custom fields can be created in Options > Library & Folders > User Library Fields)

done
In the new custom field, why did you checked 'Image','Video' and 'Data' Flags , since it's only Audio ?
(I checked only 'Audio' flag)

-- and added that library field to the view items:

done
The new scheme must be added by /Audio/Right click/add view scheme/ ? (I have done like this)
or
is-it added by /Audio/Artist Album/Right click/add view scheme? ?

The view scheme is set to display this Album/Artist field as thumbnails and the "Always Show Files" option is enabled:

I don't find where I can do this :(
Can you write here the EXACT steps ? one after one
and .. what is the starting screen of this step ?

You can adjust the size of the bottom list simply by dragging the horizontal divider. A double-click on the divider will quickly open or close the bottom list.

Your new view scheme is very interesting !

BUT  how to create it is very complex for me :(

Thanks for any help :)

Best regards from France
Jean-Max

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 10:00:36 am »

In the new custom field, why did you checked 'Image','Video' and 'Data' Flags , since it's only Audio ?
(I checked only 'Audio' flag)

I might use the field for other media types too (in MC12). You can make your personal choice. I think the option affects only what is displayed in Action Window > Tag by default.

The new scheme must be added by /Audio/Right click/add view scheme/ ? (I have done like this)
or
is-it added by /Audio/Artist Album/Right click/add view scheme? ?

It is up to you where you want to add a new view scheme. (It is always a new branch in the "tree" on the left.)

It can be a "child" branch or if you prefer, you can create a new root view scheme: select first "Start" or "Playing Now" in the tree and then use the "Edit > Add View scheme..." command from the top menu .

Can you write here the EXACT steps ? one after one
and .. what is the starting screen of this step ?

Click the small down arrow on top of the view pane to access the options menu as in my screenshots (down arrow = black triangle pointing downwards)

You will have another "black triangle" just below the divider for the bottom list options after you have enabled the bottom list from the top options. The divider is the horizontal line that separates the top and bottom parts of the view pane.
Pages: [1]   Go Up