INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remove Broken links  (Read 2471 times)

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Remove Broken links
« on: January 10, 2008, 07:04:09 pm »

I relized I have a bunch of files that were moved on my NAS to other directories and now I have a ton of "phantom" entries in my data base.  What is the best way to clean these out?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Remove Broken links
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 08:52:55 am »

Change this option: (by default, it won't remove NAS files if the folder doesn't exist since the drive could just be offline)
Options > Library & Folders > Auto-Import Folders > Options > Fix broken links > Yes

Then:
Tools > Run Auto-Import Now
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 12:53:24 pm »

Remember to put 'fix broken links' back to 'protect network files' once the job is done!

-marko.

m1abrams

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 12:58:27 pm »

I run into this problem to from time to time.  What I do instead is create a smartlist that find all library entries whose file does not exist and then just remove all the items in the smartlist.  Prevents me from forgetting to put that setting back in the auto-import.   Note though this smartlist is a slow one and I do not have access to that machine right now so can not give you the filter I use, however I think someone posted that here awhile back.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 01:14:56 pm »

I run into this problem to from time to time.  What I do instead is create a smartlist that find all library entries whose file does not exist and then just remove all the items in the smartlist.  Prevents me from forgetting to put that setting back in the auto-import.   Note though this smartlist is a slow one and I do not have access to that machine right now so can not give you the filter I use, however I think someone posted that here awhile back.

[=IsMissing([Filename])]=1

Create a new smartlist > press the Import/Export button in the edit window > paste or type the above rule in the box
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

PPatla

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 07:23:54 am »

I do this procedure outlined above...

Change this option: (by default, it won't remove NAS files if the folder doesn't exist since the drive could just be offline)
Options > Library & Folders > Auto-Import Folders > Options > Fix broken links > Yes

Then:
Tools > Run Auto-Import Now

What would be really neat would be a "Tools > Clean Database While Online > Are You Sure? > Y" type choice

Only because after a long cleanout I have forgot to put "protect network files" back on after cleaning up my NAS

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 10:00:44 am »

That is not even being close enough for anal-retentives like me.

I'd love a "clean library" choice that gives you a bunch of check boxes to check, allowing you to pull and categorize the files:

Missing year
Missing track number
No image art
Broken link
Low bit rate (select)

etc.

Then I could run all of my library maintenance at the same time when I am trying to clean my library.  The option to "get from the internet where available" would also be cool to help clean up files.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 11:34:33 am »

The option to "get from the internet where available" would also be cool to help clean up files.

My experience is that "get from internet" instructions cannot be relied upon, are all too often "dirty"...
spelling mistakes, incorrect punctuation, totally incorrect information etc etc etc

For example, about 75% of my audio library contain lyrics. These were batch downloaded from various "get from internet" sources and every once in a while I spot tracks tagged with the wrong lyrics...

I don't know how many, if any, others are wrong, and I'm not ever likely to be so bored as to set about checking them all manually. My experience tells that if there are any other errors in there, they are very few indeed, though I'll never really know...

such is the nature of "get from internet" in my experience...

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 12:38:43 pm »

yeah, you'll probably get "excuse me while I kiss this guy" embedded into your purple haze file.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 07:56:43 pm »

:) ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up