INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC under linux wine  (Read 4013 times)

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
MC under linux wine
« on: January 11, 2008, 03:40:42 pm »

Vista was the reason to switch to linux.
Currently I'am running MC under wine but the performance is a bit slow. I think that it might be related to the skin transparency I'am using - or not? Opening dialogs, clicking on items, resizing window etc. takes seconds and pushes the CPU load high - even running a Dual Core 2,6 Gig.
So: Anyone out there using wine? Can somebody suggest other skins? I would like to know somebody who is willing to share his experiences.

thx

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: MC under linux wine
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 05:28:06 pm »

I tried it at one point at my school and I couldn't get connected through library server.  This is definitely & probably because of the firewall settings.  I could ask them to fix them but it isn't important enough to me.  It was more for just seeing if I could get it working.  It wasn't that bad, either.  I didn't test it much.

stefansmith

• Junior Woodchuck
  • 1.2TB - 3500 albums - FLACs
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 07:42:28 am »

I've been trying but I just about manage to get it installed. Then running it causes a crash.
2 GB Ram, Sempron 3200+
MC was the only thing stopping me from moving to Linux. I've now moved, and playing with getting MC to work under Virtualbox or Wine.
Otherwise I've been quite impressed with Quod Libet. Nowhere near the power of MC, but I only use it for audio, and it's a nice lightweight app. I will also play with Songbird.
One of the reasons for the move is that to my ears, Linux sounds better than XP.

TB2

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 05:22:20 pm »

Not working on 2.6.24-arch with wine-0.9.56. Installs fine (except a big error about not being able to download the wmv codecs) and runs well, but clicking on "Audio" or any other menu entry crashes it.

stefansmith

• Junior Woodchuck
  • 1.2TB - 3500 albums - FLACs
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 01:37:36 am »

Not working on 2.6.24-arch with wine-0.9.56. Installs fine (except a big error about not being able to download the wmv codecs) and runs well, but clicking on "Audio" or any other menu entry crashes it.

Exactly the problem I'm getting.

As has been mentioned, in the absence of a full-blown Linux port, it would be great if J River could work with the Wine project to ensure compatibility, like what has been done with photoshop?

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/02/20/google_funds_wine_work/1

yonkiman

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 10:16:31 pm »

I agree - I'm still very disappointed with the linux media players out there...

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 09:42:11 pm »

Since you have raised the issue of MC under Linux, I have one question, I use Ape format now I like it but I am seeing greater acceptance for FLAC and compatibility with hardare and software products.  I understand FLAC works under both operating systems.  It doesn't appear that the compression deifferences are all that great beside space is real cheap these days.  I certianly agree that Vista drives people to linux.  I am heading there but as it has been pointed out, MC is my major restriction.  Oh yeah, the question, if I load both operating systems and convert to FLAC will I have access to the FLAC files under both operating systems or do I need to duplicate the files for both operating systems?

Tunetyme
Pages: [1]   Go Up