INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Meta-discussion on Interact problem(s)...  (Read 2475 times)

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Meta-discussion on Interact problem(s)...
« on: January 15, 2008, 08:33:27 pm »

Since there's really nowhere else to post this...

It's been a long time that I've noticed this, but the 'Preview' function doesn't work properly for me when writing.

It pops up a region on the page that includes the title of the topic and the first line of text, but nothing else. The region is only those 2 lines tall, and there aren't any scrollbars...like so:

Just to make things difficult, I'm on a Mac :)

Problem noticed in the current version of Safari -- Version 3.0.4 (523.12.2), but not in my version of NetNewsWire (3.1.1).

I know they both use WebKit as the rendering engine, but I don't know if the problem happens on the Windows version of Safari....

Any ideas?
brad

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
Re: Meta-discussion on Interact problem(s)...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 10:11:51 am »

Following up...

From the Simple Machine Forum Forums (although I have no idea what this thread really means)...

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=210504.0

Best,
Brad

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 10:27:56 am »

This is a bit off-topic, but is Safari somehow better than other browsers? Have you tried Firefox or Opera? AFAIK, both have excellent OS X versions.

I wasn't very impressed when I tried Safari on a Mac.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 08:20:32 pm »

So far as I know Safari is the only browser that honors color management.  As I recall it didn't work with any site I use.  Course that was an early PC version of Safari I was trying.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 08:25:00 pm »

This is a bit off-topic, but is Safari somehow better than other browsers? Have you tried Firefox or Opera? AFAIK, both have excellent OS X versions.
I think both Opera and Firefox are excellent under OSX the same way they are excellent under Linux. That is, they provide a consistent interface and strong performance baseline.

However, there are basic features that I require in my web browsing that aren't provided with those two--mostly integration with some of the high-level OSX services. Safari & Camino (and a couple of the other lesser browsers) do hook into services like the Keychain without the need for plug-ins or hacks.

For a very long time, I used the OSX variant of the Mozilla project, Camino. When Safari 3 came out, I switched for a week to see how I liked the new version. Render speeds are quite good. Standards support is quite good. I've never really gone back to Camino--although I do try to support the underdog :)

Maybe it's time to go back and see what's developed over the past couple of months....

brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up