INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: m4v files importing but only playing audio...  (Read 1116 times)

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
m4v files importing but only playing audio...
« on: January 16, 2008, 11:27:34 am »

I suspect this is another DRM/QuickTime issue, but thought I would throw it out there...

Sometime back, MC12 was changed to recognize the m4v file extension. This is generally used by Apple to name their Video downloads. MC12 now imports these files, and I haven't had any problems with the importing process...

However, once they are imported, for about HALF the files, a thumbnail is built that is simply a grey box and there IS a value for the duration and bitrate of the file. For the other half of the files, no thumbnail is built and there is NO duration/bitrate value. When I play any of the files, the audio plays fine, but there is simply a grey box on the screen--no video.

On the flip side, I DO have a couple of m4v files that import with a duration, build a proper thumbnail, and play. These files were acquired in the same way--via the iTunes store.

All of the files play normally in iTunes and in QuickTime (latest version--released yesterday).

Any insights?
brad

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: m4v files importing but only playing audio...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 12:14:29 pm »

I suspect this is another DRM/QuickTime issue, but thought I would throw it out there...

Sometime back, MC12 was changed to recognize the m4v file extension. This is generally used by Apple to name their Video downloads. MC12 now imports these files, and I haven't had any problems with the importing process...

However, once they are imported, for about HALF the files, a thumbnail is built that is simply a grey box and there IS a value for the duration and bitrate of the file. For the other half of the files, no thumbnail is built and there is NO duration/bitrate value. When I play any of the files, the audio plays fine, but there is simply a grey box on the screen--no video.

On the flip side, I DO have a couple of m4v files that import with a duration, build a proper thumbnail, and play. These files were acquired in the same way--via the iTunes store.

All of the files play normally in iTunes and in QuickTime (latest version--released yesterday).

Any insights?
brad

You fared better than I do. I have a DRM's video from Apple that can be imported but does not play, neither audio nor video.

This issue is on my list.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
Re: m4v files importing but only playing audio...
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 01:27:54 pm »

Good to know! If I can help, or provide source materials, just holler...although I believe that the video are probably locked to my account.

Regardless, I just download the 'free' stuff every week...

Brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up