INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Delete from Handheld" and ringtones  (Read 1170 times)

sle118

• Junior Woodchuck
"Delete from Handheld" and ringtones
« on: January 21, 2008, 07:32:42 am »

Hello all,

I am trying to keep a Nokia 7373 phone (connected in USB Mass Storage mode) in sync with a playlist in MC12. I want to make sure that only the items I synchronize will remain in the music folder on the nokia phone's memory card.

I assume that I need to check "Delete from Handheld". However, this would in theory result in all the MP3 being deleted on the device. Is it possible to restrict this option to a specified folder on the phone? This is to avoid deleting ringtones, which are only on the phone. I don't want to copy the ringtones in the library and then include them in the sync playlist.

Also, my source files are in FLAC format and I am compressing to MP3 high quality portable. According to MC12 documentation:

Important Note: This mode removes all files of the type being synchronized from your device if they are not in the playlist. For example, if you are synchronizing two jpg image files and some mp3s, then all jpg  files and mp3s on your device will be deleted if they are not in your playlist/smartlist.

What with source format and target format different, which one will be deleted on the phone?

Thank you!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: "Delete from Handheld" and ringtones
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 11:17:29 am »

If you enable the option, MC will show you exactly what it plans to delete in the view of the device before you start the sync.

You can confine MC to only looking at or working with certain paths in Options > Handheld > Files & Paths if it isn't doing what you want.

As for lossless + mp3, MC should do the right thing here.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

sle118

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 11:24:37 am »

If you enable the option, MC will show you exactly what it plans to delete in the view of the device before you start the sync.

Does this mean that I should first try the "Delete from Handheld" option with a manual sync before I enable automatic sync on connect?

And I guess I can specify which folder for each device?

How does MC 12 recognizes a USB device? Is it recognized only with the drive letter, with the device volume name, a combination or something completely different? This will help me name them.

Thank you!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 11:30:06 am »

Does this mean that I should first try the "Delete from Handheld" option with a manual sync before I enable automatic sync on connect?

Yes.

And I guess I can specify which folder for each device?

Yes.

How does MC 12 recognizes a USB device? Is it recognized only with the drive letter, with the device volume name, a combination or something completely different? This will help me name them.

It uses USB device information that isn't user editable, so you should be able to use anything you like for display names.  You can also edit the display name in MC for any device -- press F2 with it selected in the tree.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up