INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which JRiver exe fileperforms Library Backup?  (Read 1223 times)

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
Which JRiver exe fileperforms Library Backup?
« on: January 22, 2008, 10:29:07 am »

I am currently using Comodo Anti-Virus, which is an excellent free A/V program however I am encountering a problem in performing a library backup. Unless I disable the A/V program the library backup fails.

Which .exe file do I need to exclude from the A/V's scrutiny to allow Libaray Backup to complete sucessfully?
. . . the game is rigged

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Which JRiver exe fileperforms Library Backup?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 02:35:52 am »

Morning AoX, everything good at your end?

Historically, MC and AV software in general have such a bad relationship that I've found I get the best performance by excluding the entire JRiver program files directory, and the entire JRiver appdata directory in my AV software's real time scanner options.

During install, everything is first unpacked to a temp folder, so if in the extremely unlikely event that an infected installer was released, that would be caught during extraction.

I find highly unlikely that anything would get through the first lines of defence here and then hide out in the relative safety of my MC folders, and all firewall rules for MC are ip specific, so if it asks to go somewhere unauthorised, it can't. I reckon I'm covered.

If you are not comfortable using such exclusion rules, I'm willing to bet that the reason it's failing is because your AV software is trying to scan the zip file while it's in the process of being created and 'filled'. If I'm right, then adding the library backups folder to the AV exclusion list will fix your problem... worth trying?

-marko

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 08:07:29 am »

Maybe it's just me, but I've always used either Avast or AVG and neither has ever said boo about anything that MC is doing.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 08:47:23 am »

Thanks Marko, I think you are spot-on with your thoughts on this, particularly the zip file creation.

I previously used AVG and it has worked well for me, but I am so impressed with Comodo's firewall that I decided to give their A/V a go. Aside from this minor difficulty it has been performing extremely well with no obvious drain on resources.
. . . the game is rigged
Pages: [1]   Go Up