INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Files won't play with USB soundcard  (Read 2971 times)

andrewt

• World Citizen
Files won't play with USB soundcard
« on: January 23, 2008, 12:53:10 am »

Hello, I found Media Jukebox after looking for a program that will output directly to my soundcard; it's a great piece of software. I just installed it today, but I have a problem.

I'm using a Line6 toneport ux1 (USB) as my soundcard for my laptop. My computer has 2 gigs of ram and 1.8 ghz dual-core processor, so I'm sure that the problem isn't performance.

I played some tracks from my collection (which is a mix of FLAC, mp3 and wma) without problem, using the default settings, right after installing the program. Then I switched the output to ASIO (my USB soundcard supports ASIO) and played a track. It worked fine, but for any tracks I tried to play after that I got the error message: "Playback could not be started on the output "ASIO"... etc. I tried using different settings, but they didn't work either.

While writing this, I tried to play the files with other programs, and no other programs work. I tried another program, VLC player, and some other programs, all of which worked before I installed Media Jukebox. Once I play one file, then no audio at all comes through my soundcard until I restart. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Andrew

andrewt

• World Citizen
Re: Files won't play with USB soundcard
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 01:30:57 am »

I should also note that I've uninstalled Media Jukebox, then restarted, then reinstalled it, to no avail. Every time I start the computer up, it plays once with the ASIO setting, then I get the error message. I am running Windows Vista.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 05:32:52 am »

This sounds like a problem with the sound device's ASIO driver.

An ASIO driver reserves the output path and possibly your driver is not properly releasing it for some reason. Can you play several tracks if you set MJ to gapless playback mode? Though, on my PC MJ12 doesn't release the ASIO output on track changes even if I set it to use one of the gapped options. A complete stop is needed for this.

You can set MJ to display a diagnostic message when ASIO is started:
Options > Playback > Output mode settngs > Display diagnostics when starting ASIO
Maybe it can show something useful.

Do you have other ASIO programs open simultaneously? Personally, I have found that Adobe Audition CS2 and its ASIO driver can make other audio programs behave erratically even when Audition is idle.

Also, this may be a compatibility issue with Vista and the sound device's drivers. Do you have access to an XP machine you can try with the device?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

andrewt

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 08:46:47 am »

I don't think it has to do with the drivers; if I use foobar with the ASIO output plugin, it works fine, even if I stop playback... But when I use Media Jukebox, stop playback, and try to play back again, I get the error message, and then if I try to play in foobar, I get "Unrecoverable playback error: ASIO initialization failed : Hardware not present"

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 10:27:32 am »

Unfortunately ASIO implementations by driver makers are not all created equal.

For example, we worked through an issue with AudioTrak where their driver assumed a non-necessary function would get called, and it caused problems since Media Center did not call that function.

I'm guessing something similar is happening.  Any chance the makers of the Line6 toneport ux1 (USB) would take a look?  We would be happy to work through the issue with them.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up