INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC not respecting read-only status when rotating photos  (Read 842 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
MC not respecting read-only status when rotating photos
« on: February 03, 2008, 11:41:46 am »

I am easing into using MC for managing my photos. To avoid any changes to my photo collection I set every file read only before importing into MC. I am therefore able to tag my photos without MC writing the tags to the file.

So far so good...

However, I am observing that when I rotate an image with MC, MC clears the read only status of the file and implements the rotation in the file.

This is not good. MC, in my opinion, should always respect and never change the read only status of a file.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC not respecting read-only status when rotating photos
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 11:49:37 am »

The rotation for jpg files is lossless, so there's no harm done.

Ordinarily, I'd agree with you, but often files copied from CD's are R/O by default, and this saves a lot of headaches in terms of support.

You might choose a subset to experiment with until you're convinced that it's safe for MC to handle your photos.  And, as always, a backup is good.

rjm

Re: MC not respecting read-only status when rotating photos
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 11:59:44 am »

Thanks for response. I understand that rotation does no harm.

I have thousands of hours invested in adding meta-data to my photos with another app. This other app will remain my master database for photos until I am 200% confident in MC's photo abilities, and until I figure out how to import the meta-data into MC. In the interim I am using MC as a viewer and experiementing with its photo tagging capabilities. Until I am ready to switch I do not want MC changing my photo files. Now that I understand what is going on, I will avoid using the rotate function, and will be cautious before I try any other photo functions.

I understand the importance of backups. Comparing against my backup was how I was was able to tell that MC modified the few files that I rotated.

Cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up