INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Question - Network Attached Storage + Laptop  (Read 1065 times)

marksda1

• Recent member
Newbie Question - Network Attached Storage + Laptop
« on: January 28, 2008, 08:47:36 pm »

Hey there - if this is addressed somewhere, I can't seem to find where - I have done some searches, but perhaps not using the right combo of words. 

I'm testing out the latest version of media center right now and thus far finding it far superior to windows media player or several others I've tried in the past couple of weeks. No catastrophes so far <fingers crossed>   :D

My question is (yes finally getting there) is that I'm using Media Center on my laptop (actually my only personal  pc).  I have nearly all my media files on a network drive.  I have a handful of really  favorite ones on my actual laptop - i.e. stuff I want on the road with me. 

Although, I haven't tested it yet, it also appears that within media center, I can move/copy files from one location to the other (both locations are set up in the auto-import options). 

Anyway, my question is what happens when I'm away from my network.  I'm concerned that media center will note the absence of the network files and remove them from the library, causing a lengthy re-importing of them when I return.  Is this the case?  Or will they be in the library but, of course, not play?! 

The option about fixing broken links (but protecting network drives) seems to be key, but I have read the help on it and do not entirely follow the outcome. 

Any insight appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Mark Tisdale Photography    

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Newbie Question - Network Attached Storage + Laptop
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 08:51:36 pm »

Welcome to Interact.

The option you're referring to should work for you.

marksda1

• Recent member
Re: Newbie Question - Network Attached Storage + Laptop
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 11:00:06 am »

Thanks for the fast response! 

And the welcome.

As said, liking it so far.  :)
Mark Tisdale Photography    

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."
Pages: [1]   Go Up