INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transferring ratings  (Read 3072 times)

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
Transferring ratings
« on: January 18, 2008, 07:38:24 am »

To help the radio feature along, I have been rating songs while listening to them at work. Once I get them rated, how do I transfer that rating field, and only that rating, to my library at home? I don't want any other fields transferred because they may be different and my library at home is the master and the one at work is a subset.

On a curious note, while listening I knew I was sometimes rating the same song again. I have a smartlist that I use which shows only those songs that haven't been rated. Since we don't have aliases yet (hint, hint), I have to have multiple versions of the song. I pulled up the Possible Duplicates smartlist and to make things faster, I made the ratings between the duplicate songs I hadn't listened to yet, the same as the ones I did listen to. The funny thing which I guess could be expected, is that sometimes when I rated the same song more than once, the rating was different. Too bad there isn't an option when rating, "Hey, there are these duplicates. Want to use the same rating?" Of course when the aliases get implemented, that won't be necessary.  ;)
Jeff

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Re: Transferring ratings
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 09:22:31 am »

For identical librays it should work if you copy the library file "field (rating).jmd" in your library folder at work to the library folder at home. I don't know if that can cause any problems. The only negative point I see is that the information is only stored in library, not in the files themself. If you want MC to write it to the filetag, you probably have to use "Update Tags from Library".

I'm going to use this to, because I'm using my library at home (B) and for DJing (A). And I only want to synch my ratings from (A) -> (B) and the rest the other way. But I didn't get the time to do a big test on this. In a small test I did, it worked...

dcwebman

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 12:31:55 pm »

Thanks for the reply but the libraries are different. The one at home is huge and the one at work is just a smaller library. I was thinking that maybe the export would work but that wants to use every field. KingSparta used to have a plug-in for data import/export but it no longer exists.
Jeff

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 01:37:24 pm »

Export an MPL playlist at work and import it at home (only the File > Import Playlist tool can update existing library files).

If the base path is different you need to open the MPL file with a text editor and do a find & replace operation. If the individual filenames and/or paths are different you are out of luck (maybe you can rename the files).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

dcwebman

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 07:51:12 am »

I was afraid that I was going to have to modify an MPL playlist greatly. I believe the paths and filenames are the same as I usually take them from home and bring them to work. I'll give it a shot.
Jeff

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 10:31:35 am »

I'm wondering what utility 'Use relative paths' when saving to MPL would make here.

If I get this right,  you just drop the album MPL into its respective folder at home and do a File->Import Playlist to import only the changes.

then no need to modify anything in a text editor, you can't change filenames in the office pc tho ;)

I asked for aliases ages ago, but i now think it would create a management nightmare in the future.

A better way might be to decide which direction to do the sync and have the related info sent MC-->MC
You can already do this with an iPod so why not with another MC.

In theory this should already be possible but when i brought this up in a thread a few months ago, those that tried found it has limits.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 12:47:52 pm »

I'm wondering what utility 'Use relative paths' when saving to MPL would make here.

If I get this right,  you just drop the album MPL into its respective folder at home and do a File->Import Playlist to import only the changes.

The "Use relative paths" option will work. I forgot it (it's quite new and I have not needed it yet).

For example:
Base path on the work PC: C:\my work files\private\music\
Base path on the home PC: D:\my files\music\

Save the MPL file to C:\my work files\private\music\
and import it from D:\my files\music\
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 01:37:00 pm »

It's something i wish was there years ago..

save an album MPL in its folder, move that folder wherever you want and the MPL still works.

dcwebman

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 07:29:07 pm »

Export an MPL playlist at work and import it at home (only the File > Import Playlist tool can update existing library files).

If the base path is different you need to open the MPL file with a text editor and do a find & replace operation. If the individual filenames and/or paths are different you are out of luck (maybe you can rename the files).
This did work by updating those that were different and since I didn't have a rating at home, then it got updated. Only thing is the relative paths don't work. I'll post a bug(?).
Jeff

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 04:57:19 am »

Only thing is the relative paths don't work. I'll post a bug(?).

It works for me. Did you import the MPL file from the correct folder?

For example:
If the file on the disk is  D:\my files\music\artist\album\file1.ext
and the filename in the MPL file is  .\artist\album\file1.ext
you must import the MPL file from  D:\my files\music\

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 06:08:45 am »

think what Alex is saying here is that the MPL file for

D:\my files\music\artist\album\

must be placed in

..\album

and only imported from there.

It does not matter where ..\album is, so long as the MPL is placed inside it.

hence the reason of using relative paths when saving to MPL

dcwebman

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 10:41:52 am »

Correct. Matt corrected me elsewhere. I was saving the playlist on another drive and hence getting drive letters. You just need to save it on the same drive as your media.
Jeff

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 11:10:22 am »

..well that and you need to put in the album folder as well or iow, the folder that the track is in.

If you look at the [Filename] tags in the MPL with a text editor it shows..

./<file-name>

that means it has to be in the Album folder or it won't play at all.

as there is no path info included.
Pages: [1]   Go Up