INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ripping quality  (Read 1907 times)

saab05

• Recent member
ripping quality
« on: January 28, 2008, 03:49:28 pm »

i am sure there is already a thread so if someone could point me to it??? i am starting ripping and reripping about 600 cds. i want good quality but want to keep it as simple as possible without immersing myself in algorithms. i have set the mp3 copy rate at extreme. will that do it? also, sometimes i have to use iTunes because some old classical albums I bought in Europe don't show up in the database jriver uses. what should i set the iTunes quality at so we are sticking to pretty much the same quality level? thanks.

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: ripping quality
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 04:19:31 pm »

when you want good quality, why not use ape or flac. no difficult algoritms. but lossless.
and about itunes, why not do it in mc nonetheless. and type in the titles. and submit them to the database. im used to expect and type in titles when i buy a record that i think is obscure and from europe  ;). but the joy when it does show up unexpected is great.

richard.e.morton

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 04:37:24 pm »

yeah I agree MC is just plain better than iTunes and although the database isn't as complete it's only going to get better if we submit to it!

The m4a codec is far superior to MP3 and is now well supported in handhelds, wma although proprietary is pretty good as well.

If you're only going to playback in MC then I also suggest a lossless codec, any will do, but FLAC tags arn't supported in MC which is a big pitty but I am sure they'll add it sometime. I would choose FLAC if tagging was there, open specification so less likely to completely disappear although looking like it wont get mainstream adoption (in the short-term).

I personally use ogg mainly but looking at lossless as storage is cheap now and I must have 10 old harddrives lying around for very cheap storage!
Media Center 12 with Girder and Netremote
Windows XP Pro SP2
Tranquil T2e
Via SP13000
2x500GB in RAID1
Testing AJAX Web-I/F
Humax DVB PVR-9600T
Denon ADV-1000
Celestion F-Series Speakers

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 04:42:04 pm »

If you're only going to playback in MC then I also suggest a lossless codec, any will do, but FLAC tags arn't supported in MC which is a big pity but I am sure they'll add it sometime. I would choose FLAC if tagging was there, open specification so less likely to completely disappear although looking like it wont get mainstream adoption (in the short-term).
That would be news to us.  I believe FLAC tagging is working in MC12.  Anyone else?

richard.e.morton

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 05:16:33 pm »

Hi Jim,

I created some FLAC and other formats (APE, Ogg, WMA lossless) all from the same album as a test, and when I imported them into a blank library, the FLAC files didnt import the tags into the database fields.

Rich
Media Center 12 with Girder and Netremote
Windows XP Pro SP2
Tranquil T2e
Via SP13000
2x500GB in RAID1
Testing AJAX Web-I/F
Humax DVB PVR-9600T
Denon ADV-1000
Celestion F-Series Speakers

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 05:43:29 pm »

What version of MC12 are you using?  FLAC changed a few months ago in MC12.

What are you using to create the files?

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 05:45:58 pm »

I created some FLAC and other formats (APE, Ogg, WMA lossless) all of the same album as a test files and when I imported them into a blank library the FLAC files didnt import the tags into the database fields.
I've imported Flac files made with EAC. dBpoweramp, Foobar2000 and the Flac command line utility with success.  The tags were recognized by MC.

What program did you use to rip and tag the Flac files?

----
I'm assuming that the Flac plugins were installed and that Flac files were checked as a type to be imported. if not, the Flac files would not show up as audio files.

One possibility is that the ripping/tagging program you used inserted ID3 tags rather than Vorbis Comments that are standard for Flac files.

Bill

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 06:04:50 pm »

Thanks, Bill.  (The check is in the mail.)

Launfal

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 11:26:59 pm »

I've imported Flac files made with EAC. dBpoweramp, Foobar2000 and the Flac command line utility with success.  The tags were recognized by MC.

The Disc # tag wasn't.  Neither were the Replaygain tags.  I can guarantee you that.  Nor will a tag show up if it's in the file and you create a library field to support it, i.e. a LABEL tag for the recording company name.  You have to fill the tag in MC and have it write the tag again.  Other than those exceptions, I will admit that most FLAC tags do show up regardless of the tagging program used.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 04:00:12 am »

[a bit off topic]

The Disc # tag wasn't.  Neither were the Replaygain tags.  I can guarantee you that.  Nor will a tag show up if it's in the file and you create a library field to support it, i.e. a LABEL tag for the recording company name.  You have to fill the tag in MC and have it write the tag again.  Other than those exceptions, I will admit that most FLAC tags do show up regardless of the tagging program used.

Actually, the FLAC plugin is currently the only decoder plugin that allows reading any tag from the file so that the tag header in the file tag and inside the library are literally identical.

Your disc number tag didn't show up inside MC because the used tag headers can be different in different programs. It is possible to create a custom tag and import a different disc number tag. Inside MC you can copy the field value to MC's predefined field or you can use an external program for that (e.g. Mp3tag).

J. Rriver developed its replay gain analysis and tagging system over six years ago (MJ was the first player with such a system). MC writes the values in its own style. Some other programs have later adopted a bit different system, which is not compatible with MC. There is no simple way for transferring the different replay gain values between these different systems. However, these two different replay gain tag sets can co-exist in the physical file tags without problems.

[/a bit off topic]

In general, I would recommend using the secure ripping mode with rip logging. This thread has some useful tips and it is very much related to the topic:

Topic: How can I ensure quality of a ripped music file
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up