INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I stream Playing Now to a Roku Soundbridge?  (Read 1873 times)

Shasta Mcnasty

• Junior Woodchuck
Can I stream Playing Now to a Roku Soundbridge?
« on: January 26, 2008, 02:53:02 pm »

I would like to be able to stream "Playing Now" to a Roku Soundbridge (for example).  Can this be done?

I know about using the Library Server to feed a remote Media Center client, that's not what I'm asking about.  I want to send a stream of what the sound card is playing in real time to a Roku Soundbridge (or anything that can play streaming web media, really), in sync with what the sound card is playing.

Here's why.  I have MC running on an inaccessible server, plugged into an FM transmitter so I can listen anywhere in my house.  I control it with xpTunes (currently in beta, do a search on the "plug-ins" forum for more).  This is very convenient and sounds fine on my clock radio and boombox in the backyard.  It doesn't sound so good on my main stereo.  I just purchased a Roku Soundbridge to plug into the main stereo.  If I'm listening only to the main stereo, I can use the Soundbridge to talk to MC's uPnP server and play music.  But that music won't be synched to the FM broadcast.  No big deal unless I'm having a party where I want the same music playing everywhere.  In that event I could just switch back to FM on the main stereo but if I could stream to the Soundbridge and FM at the same time I wouldn't ever need to use FM on the main stereo.

Yes I know I could move the computer next to the main stereo and run the sound card output to the stereo and FM transmitter to solve this problem.  But I don't want a PC in my living room, even if it is a headless server.  I find the fan noise annoying.  My wife would find it even more annoying which would result in her annoying me further.   ::)

And I also know that I could plug the FM transmitter into the Soundbridge, but then I would lose the xpTunes interface which is really great. 

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Can I stream Playing Now to a Roku Soundbridge?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 03:14:47 pm »

Sorry, there's not a way to do this...

j

Shasta Mcnasty

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 03:55:11 pm »

OK thanks you just saved me the several hours I would have wasted trying to figure out how to make MC do this before giving up.   ;)

Shasta Mcnasty

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 11:40:40 pm »

One more question: is there a way to stream *any* mp3 files and/or playlists (either a MC playlist or a regular old m3u playlist) as an "internet radio station" to a Roku Soundbridge or Winamp?  I get that I can't send Playing Now in synch with what's going to the sound card, but I wonder what I can do...I have been able to connect to the Library Server with Winamp but can't figure out how to do this (if it's possible at all).  I am certain that I made a good connection from Winamp to the MC Library Server because I use authentication on my Library Server and I had to authenticate in Winamp.  So it looks like the protocol is compatible, but I just don't know how to do anything with it. 

I don't really have a need to do this but I'm just curious.  Once again I know I can do it (and way way more) with MC using the Library Server, and I currently am doing just that to access my home library from work.  This is more of a "how does it work" question related to streaming feeds (aka "internet radio stations"). 

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 07:15:33 am »

Did you try using MC or MJ12 as the client?  Winamp won't work.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 10:50:33 am »

What Jim said: Winamp won't work. Library Server (and TiVo Server/UPnP Server) are based on http, and that's why Winamp can connect. But once it connects, the protocol is JRiver specific. First, the library is downloaded, and Winamp doesn't know the JRiver library format.

I'm not sure about streaming radio to the Roku, but you can set up playlists/smartlists and stream those, sure.

j

Shasta Mcnasty

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 12:11:04 pm »

John, thanks, that answers my question.  I was mainly interested in "how it works" and the answer is "in a JRiver specific way". 

I know I can use the Soundbridge to "pull" a playlist from MC via uPnP, that's how I plan to use it.  I also know that I can use MC client to pull a playlist (and a lot more) from a MC Library Server, which is great. 

I also know that I can "tune in" to a Web Media "station" (e.g. SomaFM) in MC.  I just didn't understand whether MC can "broadcast" a Web Media "station" but it looks like the answer is no. 

Thanks again.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up