INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC system volume not applicable to Vista  (Read 4836 times)

JONCAT

MC system volume not applicable to Vista
« on: January 27, 2008, 02:26:10 pm »

I have two laptops running Vista Ultimate x86 (an x61 tablet & Inspiron 1521) and on both MC system volume can't control the Vista volume via the mixer. I assume it's a change that MC hasn't been able to accommodate yet. It would be nice if this could be fixed, if reasonably possible.

DC

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Re: MC system volume not applicable to Vista
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 04:01:32 am »

Yes, it indeed is a bit strange. If "system" is selected for the volume slider, it just changes the vista volume for MC seperated (not the master volume slider). If the volume slider is set to internal, it controls just an internal MC Volume (as expected).

So, if you set to internal, there are three volume controls within vista! Master Volume, MC-Apllication Volume (via Vista Mixer) and the internal (audio-only) MC Volume.

So up to now it works like this:

MC
|
Vista
----------------------------------- -----------------------------------
System Volume
|
Application Volume
Internal Volume (Audio only)
|
---
---
|
Vista Master Volume

I'd like to have it looking like this ;):

MC
|
Vista
System Volume
|
Vista Master Volume
|
Application Volume

This would bring two things with it: system volume slider would again change the system volume (as expected I think) and the internal volume slider would not be for audio only any more, but for all sounds of MC (all audio files, all video files, MC programm sounds).

JONCAT

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 08:12:00 am »

No doubt Vista mucked things up. Using Airfoil is particularly frustrating now; quikc volume changes or mutes aren't possiblewhen in MC. On XP you can tie MC System volume to Airfoil which is also tethered to System volume.

DC

p7389

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 10:35:12 am »

I'd like to have it looking like this ;):

MC
|
Vista
System Volume
|
Vista Master Volume
|
Application Volume

This would bring two things with it: system volume slider would again change the system volume (as expected I think) and the internal volume slider would not be for audio only any more, but for all sounds of MC (all audio files, all video files, MC programm sounds).

I agree.
[img width= height= alt=My Top Albums]http://lastfm.obsessive-media.de/3month/7x1/p7389.jpeg[/img]

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 07:20:55 am »

bump

p7389

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 03:13:52 pm »

Any progress on this?
[img width= height= alt=My Top Albums]http://lastfm.obsessive-media.de/3month/7x1/p7389.jpeg[/img]

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 07:17:42 am »

bump

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 07:38:09 am »

+1

JONCAT

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 09:17:02 am »

I forgot to post on this over the weekend but it was on my mind too

DC

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 10:29:57 am »

This is a Vista feature.  Programs aren't supposed to (or even easily able to) control the master system volume.

I don't see any reason for JRiver to fight Microsoft on this one.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 11:35:14 am »

I don't see any reason for JRiver to fight Microsoft on this one.

I think I gave a reason for this: It's not very handy to have three volume settings to be controled!
So, if you set to internal, there are three volume controls within vista! Master Volume, MC-Apllication Volume (via Vista Mixer) and the internal (audio-only) MC Volume.

Here is a 2nd reason: If I use a Win MCE Remote Control with J River MC/MJ and adjust the volume using this I'll change the internal (or MC/MJ program) volume if MC has the focus. If MC loses focus I'll control the vista master volume. Also not very handy. Using XP I was able to avert this by setting the slider in MC to "System Volume".

So in my opinion there are at least two reasons! But I also get what you say. It's not you who don't want to controll the master volume, it's Microsoft "forcing" you to not do this... So I will not go on bother you for things Microsoft botched ;)

Only one question left: is there any reason to have "internal volume" within vista? The application volume (system volume in MC) no more effects the system so maybe internal volume can be kicked under vista? Or do I miss the efficiency of this??

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 12:07:07 pm »

I think if all else, it should be relabeled under Vista, and cut down to just
Media Center Volume.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 12:08:50 pm »

I think I gave a reason for this: It's not very handy to have three volume settings to be controled!

I agree.  Vista added more pollution to the audio chain instead of less.

Only one question left: is there any reason to have "internal volume" within vista? The application volume (system volume in MC) no more effects the system so maybe internal volume can be kicked under vista? Or do I miss the efficiency of this??

It's 32-bit and it works with line-out style cards that have no system volume.  Some of the best soundcards have no system volume so that you get a bit-perfect signal with no system interference.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 12:40:13 pm »

It's 32-bit and it works with line-out style cards that have no system volume.  Some of the best soundcards have no system volume so that you get a bit-perfect signal with no system interference.

For me there's no reason left to bump this topic here again! Thanks for making your position clear! I got it and see why everything is as it is.

Perhaps I'll look for a Microsoft Board where I can talk to windows-developers (as we can do this here).

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 01:35:04 pm »

Quote from: StFeder

Exactly. For instance, MC's internal volume is the only available volume adjustment with the ASIO playback mode (ASIO bypasses the system mixer). It is also useful with DirectShow when the audio stream may be rerouted after the filter chain to MC's internal DSP and it can be used with the Disk Writer output mode.

I think the only possible solution would be to add a third mode that would adjust the master volume on Vista. I did some googling and it seems that there a ways to access Vista's main system volume. Here are some links:
http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418069
http://blogs.msdn.com/larryosterman/archive/2007/03/06/how-do-i-change-the-master-volume-in-windows-vista.aspx
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1287868&SiteID=1
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 01:44:55 pm »

In build 516 and later (available later this week):
NEW: Vista allows "Application Volume", "Internal Volume" or "System Volume" control. (Menu > Player > Volume)

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 07:51:58 pm »

:o It's just impressing what you guys do!!

Thank you!!

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 02:06:26 am »

Awesome!   I like that.  :)
Seems like a sensible way to divvy up the volume controls given the way Vista does things.

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 04:42:40 am »

Cheers guys!  :)

JONCAT

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2008, 03:43:05 pm »

I hadn't followed the recent updates here, and was going to post some experiences.

WMP, VLC, and Foobar allow me to use the volume controls on my laptop to control system volume while app volume stays the same (Vista ultimate)

Airfoil has a specific option to link to system volume.

Looking forward to the fix.

DC

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 09:43:11 am »

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I am interested in what volume option other Vista users are using.

I generally leave MC volume alone and use the knob on my speakers or headphones to adjust volume. But when I am listening to music and a system sound comes through the speakers, the music volume is temporarily lowered and then it seems to gradually come back to where it was. It's very odd. I thought one of those volume options might change this behavior, but I've tried them all and it seems to do the same thing on all of them.

I guess what I am getting at is... does anyone know the optimal settings to have Windows sounds at a low volume but not change my music volume when a system sound occurs?
Sue

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008, 07:22:26 pm »

I guess what I am getting at is... does anyone know the optimal settings to have Windows sounds at a low volume but not change my music volume when a system sound occurs?

My solution is to have two sound cards/devices.  One sound card for music and the other sound card set as the default for system sounds and the like.  I can mute everything on the non-music sound card when music is playing.  My music never gets mixed with system sounds.
Pages: [1]   Go Up