INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bypass Direct Show?  (Read 2045 times)

sonci

• Recent member
Bypass Direct Show?
« on: March 17, 2008, 06:49:43 am »

Well, this is my first post, i'm trying MC. I really the like the music managment and asio support(Win Xp).
The sound through ASIO is good(xFi, Bit matched playback), when i play the common 44.1khz audio files. But when i play any video file (wma, windows media audio), which commonly are 48khz, the sample rate is stuck to 44.1, because MC uses directshow whenever is a video content, while in Winamp, through asio, the xfi console changes immediately to 48khz, even for video files.
I try to disable the direct show in Playback-options, but in this case i only get stereo on multichannel sounds, however the sample rate dont change, meaning that, it's not using bit matched.
Well its not a big deal, except that i have to manually change the rate everytime i play smth. non mp3.
Is there any way for correcting this?
Thanks.

BryantD

Re: Bypass Direct Show?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 10:46:53 pm »

Well, this is my first post, i'm trying MC. I really the like the music managment and asio support(Win Xp).
The sound through ASIO is good(xFi, Bit matched playback), when i play the common 44.1khz audio files. But when i play any video file (wma, windows media audio), which commonly are 48khz, the sample rate is stuck to 44.1, because MC uses directshow whenever is a video content, while in Winamp, through asio, the xfi console changes immediately to 48khz, even for video files.
I try to disable the direct show in Playback-options, but in this case i only get stereo on multichannel sounds, however the sample rate dont change, meaning that, it's not using bit matched.
Well its not a big deal, except that i have to manually change the rate everytime i play smth. non mp3.
Is there any way for correcting this?
Thanks.

I also use an X-Fi (ExtremeMusic) with XP in Creation Mode (bit-matched playback). When I play a video file my Harmon Kardon AVR347 switches to 48 khz but when I go back to just Audio (flac or mp3) I have to manually switch the X-Fi back to 44.1 khz.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 11:09:55 pm »

For most video types, DirectShow is the only playback option.  You can select and configure any filters you like.

However, it's strange that the driver doesn't switch to 48 khz when a video (at 48 khz) starts.  Are you locking the card to 44.1 somehow?

It's been a while, but I thought my M-Audio Audiophile 2496 would switch automatically for me.  My cheapie motherboard soundcard definately does, but Vista makes it impossible to get bit-perfect output (sigh).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

sonci

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 03:50:37 am »

Thanks for the replies!
Well, in Audio creation mode, there isnt a locking switch, once you're optin for the bit matched. However there is a saving button from you can create a profile. I think the problem is within the MC, whenever there is a video component in the file, it just forget about ASIO, and uses Directsound, same as other non asio media player do.
BryantD
I think you have configured the audio console, for bypassing xfi decoder(ON-External Decoder), in this case xfi dont mess with the sound, just output it raw.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 07:50:40 am »

It's been a while, but I thought my M-Audio Audiophile 2496 would switch automatically for me.  My cheapie motherboard soundcard definately does, but Vista makes it impossible to get bit-perfect output (sigh).
Is it really impossible to get bit-perfect output with Vista, even with the M-Audio card?

I have an M-Audio FireWire 410.  I'm able to get what I believe to be proper 48 kHz when playing a DVD and using Directshow for audio.  I have to manually set the FW410 driver to 48 kHz.  It won't automatically switch like it will with ASIO.  I look through the Directshow graph and it's using AC3filter.  Looking at the Properties page for AC3filter while playing a DVD shows the input stream at 48 kHz and the output stream at 48 kHz.  I assume my FW-410 is getting 48 kHz unless the driver control panel is lying.  I don't have a DAC to connect to the digital outputs to check the sample rate.  Whether the 48 kHz stream is bit-perfect is also unknown.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 08:58:02 am »

Thanks for the replies!
Well, in Audio creation mode, there isnt a locking switch, once you're optin for the bit matched. However there is a saving button from you can create a profile. I think the problem is within the MC, whenever there is a video component in the file, it just forget about ASIO, and uses Directsound, same as other non asio media player do.
BryantD
I think you have configured the audio console, for bypassing xfi decoder(ON-External Decoder), in this case xfi dont mess with the sound, just output it raw.

As Matt mentioned, most videos are played through DirectShow. MC does not mess with the audio in any way. It just outputs sound to a DirectShow audio renderer. You can configure which audio renderer to use.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up