INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Google search bar in MC  (Read 2439 times)

PeterS

Google search bar in MC
« on: January 29, 2008, 03:04:47 pm »

Do you use the Google search bar in the MC Start Page? And, if so, how do you use it? Any ideas for improving Web search in the app?

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
Re: Google search bar in MC
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 03:40:24 pm »

I haven't since I usually have the Start Page set not to appear in MC's options. Now that I am reminded of it, perhaps I will allow the Start Page to be available.

I might use a direct link to a TV schedule.
. . . the game is rigged

thurston

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 03:54:20 pm »

I don't use it.  I have Google desktop and just double tap the Ctrl button and type in an address or term whenever I need to access the internet or search the web. 

Now that you mention it, I'm going to set my start page to not appear.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 01:25:17 am »

MC has a 'Start' page? ;)

Is that that view that sometimes shows up when I open a new tab? :P

I turned mine off many years ago as to me, it is redundant clutter, and advertising.
Since the very welcome change back to local html files I've been meaning to set about making a custom, more personalised start page, but still haven't got around to it. I just don't see the need. I open MC to get at my media, not to read a webpage.

As for web searching from within the app...
I just don't get it. I tried using the google image search when it was released, but found it to be not too useful as it was only returning the first page of results.
I have turned off the Artist Info and Buy CD features too. If I find the need for any of these things, I fire up my browser and get the job done. At least I get a right click menu when I use my browser.
If you gave me access to my bookmarks, a right click menu and the ability to open a link in a new MC tab I might be tempted to venture out into the WWW from inside MC, as it is right now though, it just frustrates me.

-marko.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 01:57:52 am »

I agree completely and fully with everything Marko said.

However, if I were going to recommend you improve the web interface of MC, I would urge you not to waste any time trying to make the included internal IE any better.  Its just silly.  I agree with him.  I have a browser (two actually) installed.  If I want a browser, I'll use a browser.  I wish MC would just work with my default browser instead of trying to handle HTML assets internally, honestly.

That's not to say you couldn't do something useful with it.  I'd concentrate on making it HTPC ("10-foot") accessible.  I think this is where MC has a real "niche" opportunity, if you want to do anything web-focused.

I can use Firefox or Opera on my HTPC, but they still clearly aren't designed for it.  Even with my big, widescreen TV... It is still bad, doesn't make good use of the screen space that is available, is hard to read, etc, etc... A more 10-foot focused browser, with zoom functions (ala Opera) well implemented, remote-based page navigation scheme of some sort, big-easy buttons for functions, integration with Theater View, and improvements to the great RSS reader Matt built a while back (I'd still like custom sites if somehow possible).  That's where I'd put my web development efforts..

Not into re-inventing the wheel, or making a cheesy start-page that no one uses.  Web "portals" are so 1998, and they weren't even that cool then.  ;)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 03:28:59 am »

I never use the google bar.  It seems one way or another
Googles search bar is trying to get everywhere.  One morning
I expect to wake up with one sown in to my forehead.

If I want to go to google, I open up a browser, type in www.google.com
it's probably very old fashioned but it works.

My biggest problem with the start page is a lack of right click.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 05:40:47 am »

See Glynor's post. Many thumbs up.

johnnyboy

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 05:51:44 am »

Same - I dont expect or want my media browser to be my web browser.
Firefox works just beautifully and is designed for browsing the web and so is it's UI along with how I've customized it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 09:19:59 am »

BTW.... If you want an example of a 10-foot Web Browser UI that works fairly well, check out the browser on the Wii.  It certainly isn't perfect (you guys could do so much better), but it is a start.  Obviously you can't count on the fancy Wiimote control scheme, but there are things that could be done...

Even just with arrows, enter, a small handful of hotkeys (probably the same ones as Play/FF/RW/Stop/Etc), and maybe a menu key, you could whip something up that works pretty slick I expect.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 01:52:06 pm »

If I want to go to google, I open up a browser, type in www.google.com
it's probably very old fashioned but it works.

I clicked on your link. Wow, who knew that the search bar app that I use has its very own website as well?!

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 01:54:48 pm »

I clicked on your link. Wow, who knew that the search bar app that I use has its very own website as well?!

hehe  :)

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 02:59:32 pm »

Why not make your own browser intended for a 10-foot interface?  You'd blow the competition away again.  Simple arrow access to links and scrolling.  Not to mention a keyboard for entering URLs with a good history & help completing URLs.

I can see that being useful!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 04:51:21 pm »

Comedy gold right there.

rjm

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 03:59:43 am »

Never use it. I've got my mouse tuned up (thanks to someone on this forum) for ultra fast copy/paste into IE, which I always have open.

gappie

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 04:54:29 am »

i never use the start page. i also prefer a regular browser. besides that, my main media system does not have internet acces.  i would never see the start page when there was not this
theaterview startup issue
guess ill try to make my own also. with a small bat file to overwrite the standard one after a new install.

)p(

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 06:02:06 am »

I also don't see the need, except for one integrated in theaterview. With very large high res tv's becoming very popular occasionally browsing on a tv with a dedicated interface I can see people using that. Not me though.

peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up