INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1080P Camcorder?  (Read 1438 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
1080P Camcorder?
« on: January 30, 2008, 10:40:49 pm »

We are finally going to leap into high definition a bit.  We are going to buy a HD camcorder very soon.  While we don't have a Blu-Ray player or even any 1080p televisions (have 1080p+ monitors) we have a use and we can preserve the memory now and enjoy it in a while when we finally get our first real HD TV & 1080p projector.

Is it possible to get 1080p in a consumer package?  I don't mind if it is a tad big but of course smaller has its benefits, too!  Any suggestions?  Am I doomed to 720p?

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: 1080P Camcorder?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 10:43:11 pm »

Okay, so to prove that I can do Google searches, I found that they are around $6K minimum.  Yikes!  I do have a burning question, though.  How do they fit 720p or whatever on a standard miniDV tape?  Why isn't a new tape being used that holds more data?  If it just compresses the additional pixels more then there isn't much benefit.  I find that most HD content is worthless because of the high compression rates.  Even Blu Ray can disappoint me at times!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: 1080P Camcorder?
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 07:42:27 pm »

Ahhhh this is a fun topic and www.camcorder.info has some good reviews with a more techincal discusions in the forums at http://dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=132  .  You will find that many (such as the Canon HV20 which I own) has a progressive sensor that captures full 1920x1080 (probably 4:2:2 colour spave at 8-bit) which it can output this from its HDMI port in real time.  The problem is you either have to do a live capture of this stream with something like ( http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=99632 ) OR like most of us live with the down convert that the camcorders do when it hits its internal media (eg HDV = 1440x1080 at 4:2:0 colour space but can be either 60i / 24p in the NTSC markets or 50i / 25p in PAL land).
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up