INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bug: Document tags are not remebered  (Read 1224 times)

pank2002

• Citizen of the Universe
Bug: Document tags are not remebered
« on: January 30, 2008, 04:54:58 pm »

A small bug report.
I recently moved my documents from the c drive to the d drive. The documents are the same, but the files were moved by the windows mechanism. Unfortunately, MC did not remember the documents' tags. It does recognize pictures and music when they are moved "outside" mc.
It would be nice if MC would be better to recognize documents too. For now I will have to move the files back to the old file location and hope mc will remember the old tags.
Also: MC still does not read "native" pdf tags as author, subject, title etc.
Thanks,
Rasmus

PS: If you would rather have this thread under the current build thread, please feel free to move it.
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Bug: Document tags are not remebered
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 04:58:05 pm »

Once you get them back to the old location, try using MC to move them.  That should work.  You probably know that.

Documents have no internal tags, or at least MC doesn't write any.  It might be possible in the future.

pank2002

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 05:20:25 pm »

Hey Jim,
Yeah I will probably be able to fix it in that way. I am moving the files back at the moment. If not, I will grab a library back up. I backed up before I moved it. Maybe some kind of key-value based on some characteristics could be calculated and document files could be recognized in that way. Maybe filename, author field, title field or similar. I do not know enough about files to know if any such thing is possible.

Would it be hard to add support for pdf tags? I think the pdf format is pretty open. . .

-Rasmus

pank2002

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 05:34:42 pm »

Which command would I use to preserve current directory structure but only replace base-path?
I just want to replace C:\documents and settings\Rasmus\My documents\... with d:\...? The move file command does not preserve folder structure, and rename from tags seems to requires tags to build up a structure. Am I missing something?
-Rasmus

edit: find and replace probably does what I am looking for.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 06:12:14 pm »

pdf tags -- we'll take a look.  It may be a while.

rjm

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 12:34:38 pm »

Which command would I use to preserve current directory structure but only replace base-path?
I just want to replace C:\documents and settings\Rasmus\My documents\... with d:\...? The move file command does not preserve folder structure, and rename from tags seems to requires tags to build up a structure. Am I missing something?
-Rasmus

edit: find and replace probably does what I am looking for.

Or drag the root folder to its new home in the Drives and Devices tree. You will be given an option to move or copy. Select move.
Pages: [1]   Go Up