INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Export and import View Scheme definitions?  (Read 3920 times)

mhakman

• World Citizen
Export and import View Scheme definitions?
« on: January 28, 2008, 06:34:39 am »

Is it possible to export and import on another computer View Scheme definitions?

Thanks/Mikael

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
Re: Export and import View Scheme definitions?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 07:13:13 am »

I asked this the other day and I think the answer was no, along with custom fields.
Which is a shame cuz it would save alot of time!

mhakman

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 07:42:40 am »

I see, the only alternative is then to laboriously recreate all the schemes on the other computer and/or library.

Do we know where this View Scheme information is stored?

Thanks/Mikael

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 08:03:33 am »

gappie

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 08:05:18 am »

in your library there is a file called browser.jmd. this file stores the views. copying that file to the other library does the trick.
first make a backup.  ;)

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 08:08:08 am »

Cheers Gappie, that's worth knowing! :-D
Is there a similar file for user defined fields?

mhakman

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 09:29:51 am »

Copying browser.jmd to another computer works like a breeze! Many thanks Gappie  ;D

Also, if you store your files on a network share and use UNC names for these files in your library then you can copy the whole library to another computer and it works  :o

UNC names are those starting with \\computer_name\share\...

Thanks/Mikael

NickM

• Simplicity isn't always best, but it's easy to fix
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 03:40:53 am »

AND, if you use the registry edit to change the path of the thumbnails to be in the same folder as the library, you can thn copy the whole thing to another computer.

In fact, this cumbersome way works a bit like a server.  My main MC (on my Mac under Parallels), exports the library using SyncBack from 2BrightSparks to a network share on a server.  The HTPC's around the house then read that share picking up the library schemes, the contents and the tumbnails.

mhakman

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 04:22:31 am »

Brilliant! But why do you need to change the registry? Is it because the MC library itself is on a share? I think I created a new empty MC library on another computer and then copied contents of MC library from my master library and it worked at once.

An OT issue: is your MC working well under Parallels? Do you run 10.5?

Thanks/Mikael

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 10:28:03 am »

The only registry change needed is to specify where the thumbnails are stored.

-John

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 12:34:24 pm »

AND, if you use the registry edit to change the path of the thumbnails to be in the same folder as the library, you can thn copy the whole thing to another computer.

In fact, this cumbersome way works a bit like a server.  My main MC (on my Mac under Parallels), exports the library using SyncBack from 2BrightSparks to a network share on a server.  The HTPC's around the house then read that share picking up the library schemes, the contents and the tumbnails.

I do effectively this same thing (though not the through Parallels thing -- my MacBook Pro didn't like Parallels last time I tried it).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

NickM

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 05:37:38 pm »

Yes, as John said, the registry entry changes the default location for the storage of the thumbnails.  There's a couple of discussions on this topic somewhere in the forum.  Make sure you read both... [You have to call the new location directory anything but 'thumbnails'!]

The new Parallels 3.0 build 5582 is MUCH faster than the previous one.  And works well under Leopard, 10.5.1.
Over the last year I have ported all my computing from PC to Mac, one laborious data transfer, then finding ( and learning ) a host of new software.  MC is now the only one left... (hint, hint).

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/9370/scan1ka1.jpg

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 06:09:03 pm »

MC is now the only one left... (hint, hint).
Hint, hint noted.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 07:53:17 pm »

The new Parallels 3.0 build 5582 is MUCH faster than the previous one.  And works well under Leopard, 10.5.1.

My issues with Parallels weren't over its speed but over basic functionality.  I won't waste time explaining it here, but one big concern is that Coherence mode didn't work for me with MC at all.  I know it did for you.  I suspect this has something to do with the difference between the onboard Intel graphics cards and more high-end GPUs (my Macs are all of the "pro" variety and none use onboard Intel gpus).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

NickM

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 11:43:20 pm »

Hint, hint noted.
I am now holding my breath...

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 12:14:48 am »

Over the last year I have ported all my computing from PC to Mac, one laborious data transfer, then finding ( and learning ) a host of new software.

All..for what ?

mhakman

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 03:28:43 am »

Hi Glynor, I would be very interested to hear more about your problems with Parallels. I’m basically a Windows guy but my wife uses OSX as her main system. Recently we got an iMac for our living room where we run both systems as needed. This way I can “steal” some good ideas from Front Row and ask MC to implement them in the same or even better way. And vice versa, although it is more difficult, not because there are no good ideas in MC that Front Row couldn’t benefit from, on the contrary, but because Apple isn’t as responsive as JRiver (some things can be accomplished by my own programming “around” these applications). Also, soon there will be the time to replace my ThinkPad by another notebook. MBP is a strong candidate even if it will primarily run Windows.

Would you have the time to describe your experience with Parallels, MC and Mac hardware support there, in particular graphics, sound, camera, USB and Firewire?

BTW, there is perfectly valid price/features/performance rationale for choosing Apple hardware even if you only run Windows on it.

Thanks/Mikael

NickM

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 06:22:15 pm »

All..for what ?

A very very subjective answer, but my computer related productivity has increased as a result.  I have used a combination of  Mac's and PC's for many years, and it was about a year ago that I made an exclusive decision between one and the other.  The reason for making the decision was a new laptop delivered with Vista.  For my particular uses, the OS had just ballooned and (initially) didn't work well.  I have always preferred the Linux/Mac OS for its filing system and general robustness, so I started porting applications and data.

First I changed the hardware; desktops, laptops and HTPC’s.  My main servers were Linux, so they stayed as was.  iMac for desktops, MacBook and MacBookPro’s for laptops, and Mac Mini’s for HTTP.  The first stage of migration was just hardware.  Each of the Mac’s was loaded with WinXP SP2.  Not even BootCamp, just a clean install of Windows.  The next stage was to load MacOS, install BootCamp and use the machines with dual booting.  This was a learning curve, allowing each particular type of user to go back to WinXp if necessary.  The next stage was to remove the XP partition from BootCamp and use Parallels. And lastly, to migrate the few remaining apps from Parallels and remove that too.

The project included my immediate & extended family.  As inevitably, I am the single point of hardware and software support, I did it for everyone as a planned migration.  In four households there are some 20 Macs happily doing well…

My own MacBookPro is the last remaining machine with Parallels.  I use this primarily for MC.  Running, testing and playing with lots of new releases is really easy with virtual machine software.  The virtual space can be rolled back, copied, archived etc.  There are some other applications that I keep (but rarely use); Nokia phone updater, Internet Explorer (for those times that the Add-Ins are IE specific), and Suunto D9 logging.

The change in support for the extended family is easy to measure; the age group of users ranges from 86 to 12.  The older generation need far less help.  The kids work it out for themselves.  The 25-45 group have the most problems as they still use Windows at work.  My life is definitely easier(!)

There were some specific questions about Parallels so please do start separate topics and I will try to help…

dcwebman

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 08:25:36 am »

Back to the OP's question, is there any way other than copying all view schemes with the browser.jmd file to export and import view schemes? I'm hoping this topic was moved to the MC 12 forum for JRiver to see if there was a lot of support for this feature. They just love surprising us with all these great features!
Jeff

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 08:48:38 am »

Here's a workaround for copying the view schemes and user fields from one library to another. Replaces also the smartlists and static playlists. The latter will be emptied during the step 4. (I.e. it does not preserve the view schemes, user fields and static playlists in the target library.)

Using the source library/PC:
1. Create a library backup file of the source library.

Using the target library/PC:
2. Export an MPL playlist of all files in the target library.
3. Create a new library and restore the library backup file from the step 1. to this library.
4. Select all files in the restored library and delete the files from the library.
5. Import the MPL playlist using the File > Import playlist tool.

EDIT

If you want to preserve the static playlists in the target library you need to export them to disk files (the simple m3u format is fine) and import the lists after the procedure.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

mhakman

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2008, 08:43:15 am »

Nice trick Alex! Do I understand correctly what it does: it copies definitions from source to target but keeps files from target on target?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2008, 10:27:40 am »

it copies definitions from source to target but keeps files from target on target?

Yes, that's how the end result looks.

In reality you first create an empty copy of the source library. Then you import only the file data from the target library. The original target library stays intact unless you delete it separately.

During the operation Auto-Importer should be disabled, but afterwards it would be good to run it with the "fix broken links" option enabled. This would clear the old files from the deleted files database section and remove some excess bulk.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up