INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Display flickers during TV playback  (Read 2646 times)

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Display flickers during TV playback
« on: February 07, 2008, 07:02:03 pm »

I'm noticing this since build 429 during normal TV playback. I'm also experiencing very bad flickering during resizing now also. Don't recall ever having a problem with it before. I guess it's likely to have something to do with this:

11. Fixed: Black bars around TV video flickered when window was resized.

Apart from this, I'm not having any issues with the new renderer selection options for TV under XP (I'm using the Overlay renderer).

Thanks

RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Display flickers during TV playback
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 09:43:01 pm »

Are you saying that that fix actually made it worse for you? It really fixed flickers (during resizing) on my computer.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 10:34:35 pm »

That's right. While resizing, the interval between flickers is quite long (if that makes sense). I've never seen this before updating. At one point during resizing, I thought I lost video all together because the screen went black. A few seconds later it came back!

The main issue for me though is that during normal playback when no resizing/zooming is taking place, the screen now flickers every 10 seconds or so. I have the cropping option enabled if that makes any difference. Once again, I'm using the Legacy renderer.

Thanks.
Z-Wave Home Automation

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 07:35:24 am »

Yaobing, this seems to be a Legacy renderer issue only. When using VMR7 or 9, I don't see this flickering.

Thanks.
Z-Wave Home Automation

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 11:55:22 pm »

* BUMP *

I don't get any flicker going back to an older build (pre TV selectable renderer) and setting the trusty "use VMR" registry setting. I'd really like to continue using the Legacy renderer for TV playaback in the latest builds without this flickering please.

Thanks.
Z-Wave Home Automation

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 09:10:58 am »

The "useVMR" registry name is a misnomer. It initially was meant to be just that (use VMR or Not). It later evolved to really mean "which video renderer". Currently (since the selection became available to users) 0 means LVR, 1 means VMR9, 2 VMR7, 3 EVR. So if you set the value to 0, it is equivalent to selecting Legacy Video Renderer in latest builds only. However, before the selection was made available to users, for a long time the value of 0 meant "not making any specific selection". Depending on systems, this could mean either LVR or VMR7. So you could be using VMR7 when you thought you were using LVR (when you set the registry value to 0 manually). Windows XP uses VMR7 as default video renderer unless the hardware does not support it.

Confused? My apologies. In summary, maybe VMR7 was what you had been using when you thought you were using LVR.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 09:24:18 am »

As a test, rollback to a version prior to renderer selection. Set useVMR to 0. While playing, go to "DirectShow Filters" context menu and select "Video Renderer" to bring out its property pages. VMR7 property pages look exactly like those of VMR9, whereas LVR property pages are totally different. Windows default name for VMR7 and LVR are the same: "Video Renderer".

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 04:40:47 pm »

Oh I see. Thanks for the clarification. Based on what you've said, VMR7 does sounds like what I was using in the past so consider the LVR flicker as something unique to my system (if you cannot reproduce it).

Thanks again.
Z-Wave Home Automation

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 08:04:34 am »

As a test, rollback to a version prior to renderer selection. Set useVMR to 0. While playing, go to "DirectShow Filters" context menu and select "Video Renderer" to bring out its property pages. VMR7 property pages look exactly like those of VMR9, whereas LVR property pages are totally different. Windows default name for VMR7 and LVR are the same: "Video Renderer".

Ok, I did this and something doesn't add up... Using build 422 and setting useVMR=0, I see "Video Renderer" listed in the Context Menu. Looking at its property page it's definately LVR and I see no flicker. I then set useVMR=1 and the renderer listed is "VideoMixingRenderer9" - definately VMR9 here.

With the latest build, if I select VMR7 as the video renderer, I see "VideoMixingRenderer7" listed in the context menu. If I select Legacy, I see the same as above: "Video Renderer".

So this would all suggest I was indeed using LVR in the past and I can further confirm this by the fact that I had full colour control within MC - something VMR7 does not provide. This is all a relatively minor issue as VMR7 seems to be working ok for me but the fact remains that this flickering I see with LVR in later builds was not present prior to build 429.

Thanks.
Z-Wave Home Automation

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 10:43:41 am »

OK, then, it is something for me to look into. Thanks.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 08:16:10 pm »

OK, then, it is something for me to look into. Thanks.

Like I said Yaobing, VMR7 is working great in the latest builds so hopefully any future improvements to resolve the issue won't impact on this  ;)

Thanks again.
Z-Wave Home Automation
Pages: [1]   Go Up