INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: firefox & podcast subscribing...  (Read 2297 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
firefox & podcast subscribing...
« on: July 01, 2007, 05:03:21 am »

"Today, I have been mostly messing around with podcasts" :D

Now, I don't really 'get' podcasts, and every now and then I play around to see if anything grabs my attention.
While poking around on the good old www I happen upon these "subscribe" things in Firefox every now and again...

It shows at the top of the page. Clicking the 'subscribe now' button never does anything though. Any ideas why?

I managed to get a diggnation video podcast feed added to MC, and everytime I try to play the d'loaded .mov files, MC "experiences a problem and needs to close" (Nero showtime plays them just fine) Any ideas why?

Youtube feeds don't work for me either. All I get are 38kb files that don't do anything.

I don't think me and podcasts are meant to be  ::)

-marko.

Lasse_Lus

Re: firefox & podcast subscribing...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 06:22:30 am »

MT5FR

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 06:48:43 am »

for youtube http://bestofyoutube.podshow.com/feed.xml  :)
So, I click on your link, and MC launches. Nothing else happens. No feeds are added under podcasts in the tree.

It does work if I add the feed manually.

Are those 'subscribe' links supposed to work, or are they just one of those 'hit or miss' affairs in general?

-marko.

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 07:17:21 am »

i believe it will work if you click the link inside MC's browser...but i normally just add my feeds manually  :)
MT5FR

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 06:33:29 pm »

anyone found a solution for this? It's particularly annoying when you can't find a direct link to the podcast URL on sites. A lot of them just have a subscribe button, which 9 times out of 10 automatically opens iTunes.  I'm so tired of sites that don't know that anything other than the iPod exists, but I'm getting off topic.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 06:39:47 pm »

You can often, not always, find the right URL for the feed by right clicking on the "subscribe" links.  Then add it manually, as Lasse_Lus said.

Podcasts follow a very loose standard.

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 06:55:03 pm »

what is the browser he speaks of? When I click on a link and MC opens, I don't see the link anywhere. If I could that would be easy enough.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 06:57:46 pm »

what is the browser he speaks of? When I click on a link and MC opens, I don't see the link anywhere. If I could that would be easy enough.
MC uses the IE browser on your PC.  One of the places it uses it is the Podcast window.  You can navigate to many sites from there.

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 07:13:51 pm »

I must be dense or blind, I'm in the podcast window and I don't see anything other than a Google search box.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 07:53:10 pm »

The window the search is in is a browser window.  Try searching for what you want.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 08:05:15 pm »

If MC could simply support a simple command line option (MC12.exe http://techreport.com/podcast_mp3.rss for an example) then you could easily set MC to work with Firefox...

Firefox is stupid somewhat and doesn't easily let you sent the RSS feed with any other syntax (maybe there is some fancy pants way but it isn't obvious for the novice user).  That particular syntax (the RSS feed as the only argument) works though, as it has a simple File EXE browser in the feed display "top frame".  It should be able to be parsed by MC with ease though... Simply add the feed, with some set of default options (or pop up the app and load the appropriate dialog), when you see a RSS feed URL that is passed to MC12.exe...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up